TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If they can set up the infrastructure, hydrogen fuel cells will be good for trucking. I just don't see it for consumer cars.

Building fueling infrastructure on the interstates is doable. But getting it to every corner of the country, I just don't see that happening.
Exactly. Unless/until batteries get WAY better, they have a problem handling heavy duty + long distance + fast fueling. Like distance trucking needs. For light duty (like personal passenger vehicles), batteries should be able to handle a sizeable share of the market. But heavy duty for distance is a lot tougher. Putting in tons of batteries is both very expensive and take forever to charge. Time is money in commercial applications.

Hydrogen is a possibility for commercial long-haul trucking, but it would probably require a grid of refueling hubs, almost like the airport model. And maybe a shift in the way cargo trailers are handled. Rather than staying with the same truck the whole way, I could see them being handed off from hub to hub instead. Then a different (diesel or electric) truck would transport it the rest of the way beyond the "hydrogen highway".
Sponsored

bluestarct

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Highlander, Mazda 6 GT, Mach E FE
Country flag
Hydrogen is a possibility for commercial long-haul trucking, but it would probably require a grid of refueling hubs, almost like the airport model. And maybe a shift in the way cargo trailers are handled. Rather than staying with the same truck the whole way, I could see them being handed off from hub to hub instead. Then a different (diesel or electric) truck would transport it the rest of the way beyond the "hydrogen highway".
This is a map of just Pilot Flying J truck stops. If any of the large truck stop companies start putting in hydrogen stations, then the long haul routes are covered.

Ford Mustang Mach-E There aren’t enough new cars, main US automotive lender says 1607824557197

Link to map and data.
https://batchgeo.com/map/640a29bff40e376498782a10edebc83b

OP
OP
trutolife27

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Nikola and more EV yes that's great. But Nikola has a long way to go. With what just happen with GM. The Nikola image too a big hit.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is a map of just Pilot Flying J truck stops. If any of the large truck stop companies start putting in hydrogen stations, then the long haul routes are covered.

Ford Mustang Mach-E There aren’t enough new cars, main US automotive lender says 1607824557197

Link to map and data.
https://batchgeo.com/map/640a29bff40e376498782a10edebc83b
From what I've read though, it's expensive to transport, making it impractical to supply stations by tanker. It's better to make it on-site, but you need economy of scale to make that work. Meaning fewer but larger fuel stations.

It also takes lots of electricity to make. I heard that the Southwest may be a prime area for a route, especially Arizona where solar is abundant and where California is dumping excess solar cheap.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Toyota is planning to release cars with SSB'S next year. Does that make the MME already obsolete?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Toyota is planning to release cars with SSB'S next year. Does that make the MME already obsolete?
"announcing plans" is a euphemism for "vaporware", "slideware", and "wishes".

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
From what I've read though, it's expensive to transport, making it impractical to supply stations by tanker. It's better to make it on-site, but you need economy of scale to make that work. Meaning fewer but larger fuel stations.

It also takes lots of electricity to make. I heard that the Southwest may be a prime area for a route, especially Arizona where solar is abundant and where California is dumping excess solar cheap.
Hydrogen production is ~55% efficient currently, meaning if it takes 100 units of energy to produce a quantity of hydrogen, you get 55 units of energy out by running it through a fuel cell, burning it, etc.

Not economical at this point. Could be used in blimps, though. No, wait... never mind.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
No. Toyota plans to release a prototype in 2021. They are targeting limited production of batteries in 2025. My guess is a 2026 model year at the soonest. You'll be driving your Mach E for at least 5 years before then.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
No. Toyota plans to release a prototype in 2021. They are targeting limited production of batteries in 2025. My guess is a 2026 model year at the soonest. You'll be driving your Mach E for at least 5 years before then.
assuming it's been delivered by then!

right? I mean... right?

what's that? the sign that says "this way to the egress"? I can see it, why?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
OMG - that is hilarious that étron is French for turd! How could Audi not have some employee that speaks french point that out!
That's better than the Chevy Nova (no go in Spanish).
Sponsored