They broke my PAAK

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Dealer tried to fix a problem for me - backup start passcode was not working reliably. Don't know if they fixed anything, but they sure broke stuff! I got notifications that:

1. FordPass Connect was "reset to the factory settings", and then
2. A "master reset" of my car also took place, a couple minutes later.

Now, neither of my two phones, an Apple and an Android, will successfully "activate" the vehicle and set up PAAK. The dealer tech tried for over an hour and I have tried without success. The Apple phone says "Activation Pending" in FordPass, and never activates - the activation screen never appears in the car no matter how many times I restart. The Android phone appears to have remained activated through all of this, but PAAK got killed, and it is unable to set up PAAK again - some new user authentication requirement that did not appear to exist previously.

I'm guessing others have had similar problems. What would you recommend?

1. More master resets?
2. Other ways to wipe out data and start from scratch?
3. Trade in my Mustang and start over with a new car?
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I'm guessing others have had similar problems. What would you recommend?

1. More master resets?
2. Other ways to wipe out data and start from scratch?
3. Trade in my Mustang and start over with a new car?
4. Wait a few days for the master reset to flush through data centers and whatever.... And then try again.

Just a guess. I've not had this issue.

Plenty for forum members have elected option 3, though.

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag
May be a server glitch, try deleting the vehicle from your ford.com dashboard then adding it.

OP
OP
phil

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Have you removed the previous PAAK BT connection from the phone?
I don't know. There are two BT connections listed currently - one containing the name of the vehicle, one containing the last five digits of the VIN. Which one is the PAAK connection? Is it safe to delete both of them?

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
This happened to me as well after a master reset was performed to fix an unrelated error. The eventual remedy was, unfortunately, another master reset. Also, and this is almost certainly coincidence, setting the iPhone up before the Android worked while the reverse order did not.

OP
OP
phil

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
This one, the other is for audio and calls.
Thanks. Did not help. I deleted the device from Bluetooth, tried restarting the car a few more times, made sure it's connected to WiFi, and no activation prompts ever appear. In FordPass, activation is still "pending" and also "in progress", as it has been for most of the day.

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag
Bummer, seems like your car is in server limbo. Fob will have to do until that resolves itself. Downside of having a connected car, unfortunately.

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
When I first picked up my car, the Ford pass app wouldn't activate. A week later it started working. Then I wasn't given an option for Paak setup, then that option appeared 2 weeks after that.. nothing on my car changed, it was all server-side.

Could just be a waiting game for the server

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
It usually takes a few days for a master reset to fully take effect. You should have got an email saying “you have 48 hours to cancel this or it’s irreversible.” I’d try and delete all Bluetooth connections to the car, restart your phone and do another master reset. Then leave the car until tomorrow morning and see if it’ll work without having to wait the full 48 hours.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Thanks. Did not help. I deleted the device from Bluetooth, tried restarting the car a few more times, made sure it's connected to WiFi, and no activation prompts ever appear. In FordPass, activation is still "pending" and also "in progress", as it has been for most of the day.
Wifi has nothing to do with this.

Since a master reset was done, in addition to deleting both Bluetooth connections (then reboot your phone), you should delete the vehicle from your FordPass account. Do this in the app. Once it is gone, delete the app, reboot the phone, add the app. Then add the car. If you then don't get an activation request eventually, do another master reset.

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
The troubleshooting over the past six months with other people clearly indicates this is a server issue that Ford needs to reboot. When your file on their server gets corrupted only they can fix it Until they give you access back you can try 500 different things and none of it will work. I’d suggest a two week chill.

OP
OP
phil

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Wifi has nothing to do with this.

Since a master reset was done, in addition to deleting both Bluetooth connections (then reboot your phone), you should delete the vehicle from your FordPass account. Do this in the app. Once it is gone, delete the app, reboot the phone, add the app. Then add the car. If you then don't get an activation request eventually, do another master reset.
Thanks Rick, I'll give it a try. FordPass activation screen says the problem may be due to lack of internet connection, and advises to ensure the vehice is connected.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Thanks Rick, I'll give it a try. FordPass activation screen says the problem may be due to lack of internet connection, and advises to ensure the vehice is connected.
1) FordPass often gets confused.

2) FordPass may be referring to the internet connection of your phone/tablet and the internet.

3) A WiFi connection is never needed with these vehicles. They have a cellular modem. That's why you can activate the car at a dealer before you get home and connect to WiFi.

If you read through the instructions I gave, you'll see they're focusing on starting with a clean slate. You cleaned the slate on the car's side, but not the phone side (which would only matter once you started the process). More importantly, FordPass needs to recognize that there's no more car connected. That's a FordPass / Server communication that it should get from the car, but might not have. By deleting the car, that cleans things up. You can even log on to Ford.com on a PC, and delete the car there to make sure it got to the server.
Sponsored