Thick/shock-absorbing license plate frame?

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD + Ext Range
Country flag
My state requires both front and rear license plates. I live in an urban area so I'm often parking on the street with cars parking very closely in front/behind me.

I've seen other cars with 3rd party license plate frames that are very thick and would serve to absorb the impact of someone parking and tapping into your bumpers. They don't look pretty but I'm more concerned with protecting my MME from dings whenever possible.

However, I've seen other threads here where 3rd party frames are causing issues with the car's sensors. Does anyone know of any 3rd party frames similar to the above that will work with the MME?
Sponsored

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
I know this is not what you asked, but is there any way you can simply not park on the street?

Since the beginning of the pandemic, my A4 was in FOUR accidents, in front of my house, all while parked, all while I wasn't even in the car. (My doorbell cam caught three of them.) So, I made the decision that I would not park my Mach-e on the street.

Getting closer to what you asked, if you must park on the street, how about a bumper buddy?
like this one: https://www.amazon.com/CityBumper-P...t=&hvlocphy=9008162&hvtargid=pla-568525434227

OP
OP
shadowsjc

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I know this is not what you asked, but is there any way you can simply not park on the street?

Since the beginning of the pandemic, my A4 was in FOUR accidents, in front of my house, all while parked, all while I wasn't even in the car. (My doorbell cam caught three of them.) So, I made the decision that I would not park my Mach-e on the street.

Getting closer to what you asked, if you must park on the street, how about a bumper buddy?
like this one: https://www.amazon.com/CityBumper-P...t=&hvlocphy=9008162&hvtargid=pla-568525434227
Yup during normal storage I park in my deeded spot in my parking garage (literally a godsend after spending all my life struggling with street parking). But if I'm going to visit family, or running errands downtown, I'll have to park on the street.

I'm not paranoid/neurotic enough to expect a flawless bumper for my entire life with this car. But if the frame bumper can minimize it a little bit, I'd be ok with that.

Thanks for the link, but that seems like it would draw unneeded attention and would make people more likely to smash in to my car on purpose (trust me, I grew up around here. Seen it happen haha).

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
Thanks for the link, but that seems like it would draw unneeded attention and would make people more likely to smash in to my car on purpose (trust me, I grew up around here. Seen it happen haha).

Uhh, you know you're buying a Mach-E, right? Get ready for people to stalk you, ask if they can take a picture with your car, follow you round the block....

the ugly bumper buddy is not what will be drawing attention to your car.

OP
OP
shadowsjc

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Uhh, you know you're buying a Mach-E, right? Get ready for people to stalk you, ask if they can take a picture with your car, follow you round the block....

the ugly bumper buddy is not what will be drawing attention to your car.
Oh I've already experienced the attention during driving and recharging. I don't mind that, it's actually really cool.

What I meant was more along the lines of "look at this $%@!$, who does he think he is trying to prevent a scratch or two on his precious bumper. I'll show him!" . Which with the full rubber bumper add-on will definitely happen more than once. With the license plate frame I'm hoping it's more minimalistic that no one would notice it while parking

OP
OP
shadowsjc

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ha - I'm replacing an 05 Honda CRV (one of the last years that they had the spare tire mounted externally on the rear tailgate). It was great for squeezing into tight spaces on the street (without causing damage to the car behind me of course! ?)

Thanks for the link. That's what I was thinking of, but not sure if it will cause the sensors to go haywire. Guessing there's only one way to find out...I'll probably buy a few and report back with what I find

OP
OP
shadowsjc

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm replacing an 06 Honda CRV ?
Aren't they such great cars?! I've been dragging my feet on upgrading my vehicle for so long since: A) I don't drive very much, B) the CRV is in great condition, and C) I LOVE my CRV.

But in the past 3 days that I've had my MME, I absolutely adore it and have already forgotten any previous attachment to my CRV. So glad I got this car!

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
However, I've seen other threads here where 3rd party frames are causing issues with the car's sensors.
I'm not aware of any reports of license plate frames causing issues with the sensors. Perhaps you're thinking of the Craig's bracket that some people are using? Totally different thing.

OP
OP
shadowsjc

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm not aware of any reports of license plate frames causing issues with the sensors. Perhaps you're thinking of the Craig's bracket that some people are using? Totally different thing.
Yes that's the one. Hoping you're right!

Return of the Mach

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Hey shadows.... Fellow Jerseyan here, just wondering how you made out with your padded license plate protection.

I'm looking for a solution myself for the rear license plate specifically. With only two holes currently in place on my rear hatch and no frame or bracket, I'm wondering what everyone else is doing to keep their rear plate mounted in such a way that the metal license plate will not be up against the painted body of the car and scratching it all up.

Has anyone tried the silicone rubber plate frames? They look to work well, but just curious if anyone can vouch for them...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...e&pd_rd_w=J1qm4&pd_rd_wg=D1cJN&ref_=pd_gw_unk

Astraea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMe Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Hey shadows.... Fellow Jerseyan here, just wondering how you made out with your padded license plate protection.

I'm looking for a solution myself for the rear license plate specifically. With only two holes currently in place on my rear hatch and no frame or bracket, I'm wondering what everyone else is doing to keep their rear plate mounted in such a way that the metal license plate will not be up against the painted body of the car and scratching it all up.

Has anyone tried the silicone rubber plate frames? They look to work well, but just curious if anyone can vouch for them...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...e&pd_rd_w=J1qm4&pd_rd_wg=D1cJN&ref_=pd_gw_unk
I have these on my current car, a 2019 fusion, with it being black I was worried about the paint from the plate moving around from wind or removing snow from it and pushing into the back. They are a tight fit on the plate when putting it on, but I've never had trouble with it threatening to come loose. The ones I have have a slightly large lip that comes down around all sides of the plate and has larger squared corners to prevent the plate corners going through the silicone at any point.

Return of the Mach

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I have these on my current car, a 2019 fusion, with it being black I was worried about the paint from the plate moving around from wind or removing snow from it and pushing into the back. They are a tight fit on the plate when putting it on, but I've never had trouble with it threatening to come loose. The ones I have have a slightly large lip that comes down around all sides of the plate and has larger squared corners to prevent the plate corners going through the silicone at any point.
Thanks for getting back to me, I might give them a shot (my previous car was a 2018 Fusion!). Hopefully they hold up well despite only have the top two threaded holes for the plates doing all the "heavy lifting" of keeping this against the rear hatch. I don't want to have to drill 2 additional holes in my precious new Mach-E!

OP
OP
shadowsjc

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm torn on whether to do anything for the rear license plate frame or not. I think the positioning of the rear bumper means no matter what frame i use on the back, the bumper will still take the hit first (agree or disagree?)

For the front bumper, I am going to test out something similar to one of the items posted above
Sponsored