Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
PAAK did't work for me, so I bought a second fob.

Other than that, I could not be happier with my purchase!

Jim I
Sponsored

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
my $0.02 (and it’s free, so take it at its value ?) - this is a “V1.0” vehicle, both hardware and software. As a general rule, I’ve never purchased first model year production vehicles because they always have problems - always! Given that, it took me less than three weeks after the November unveiling to get over my “never buy job 1” hesitation and put my deposit down on my premium AWD ER. And boy am I glad I did! Are there a couple of very minor idiosyncrasies? Sure. Guess what? My Escape, Focus, and Lincoln displayed a couple of the same idiosyncrasies (such as the occasional 8-bit tones instead of chimes). As far as a first try, if the Mustang Mach E is Ford’s first try at an electric vehicle, all I can say is, oh boy, I can’t wait to see V2.0, V3.0, and beyond. The vehicle does what it does quite well and, just like macOS, I don’t have to worry about being a “system administrator” for the software, wondering where the latest patch is, etc (although, as a geek, I do).

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
My Mach E had a number of "firsts". The good news was Marlin was delivered in February, one of the early ones. The bad news is I found some of the earliest bugs. Marlin was among the first to have the LVB drain issue. The rest of you had it corrected in an SSM. On the plus side, Marlin had the first OTA update in a customer vehicle -- they tested that for part of the software fix. Marlin had the parking brake lock and was the first car to receive a new Primary Drive Unit. However, these are not surprising issues for a brand new, first off the line vehicle with so much new technology. The great part is Ford has been solidly behind the car and fixed these as they came along.

The real question is your tolerance for the teething pains that come with new technology. The LVB/PDU work delayed a vacation we had planned, but only by a few days. It was stressful wondering if he would be ready in time. However, once we started driving Marlin to FL everything performed great. We are in a position where we have an extra car (for now) and are retired, so no daily commute drives. Now Marlin and his software are running great. We use nothing but PaaK. I am still excited driving the Mach E and don't regret the purchase at all. I now have one of the earliest reservations for an F-150 Lightning.

Which is a stronger drive for you? Is it a desire for that hot new GT-PE that no one else will have, and the ability to really show what electrified driving can do? Or is it fear that the car may have some shop time as early issues are identified and fixed? We can't tell you what your threshold is for such things. That's for you to decide.

ADDZ71

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium ER AWD (sold) 22 MME GT (Del 5/22)
Occupation
Lithium expert
Country flag
I have owned my MME for almost two weeks and I would reinforce that I have not had any problems that had me regretting the purchase. I think it might possibly be one of the best driving vehicles that I have ever owned. A couple of things that I have had to learn but I feel as those would have been the same with any vehicle. I use the PaaK exclusively and a couple of times it has not been recognized (particularly when I have my phone in my back pocket) but nothing that I considered unusual. In reality, the only thing that may have been overkill was getting AWD versus RWD. I got it since it made it quicker but that really is not something that can be used regularly whereas the range might have been more useful.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
I’ve been looking forward to getting my GTPE for a long time now (I placed my reservation back in November 2019 during the announcement press event), and I have a build week of 7/11. This will be my first non-ICE car, and to be honest the posts which are floating to the top of this forum cause a bit of concern in my mind. Im not really worried about range anxiety or other things like that, but really about the software that is so core to the workings of this, or any other BEV.

I’ve been a professional software engineer in both an individual contributor and leadership role for over 20 years, so I understand how hard large, integrated software development challenges can be. I get it. That said, I’m highly concerned about seeing how recent software updates are leaving people with cars which are worse off than before the update, or the update outright bricks their car. These sorts of issues just shouldn’t be happening. When perusing other forums for recent EVs (eg. taycan forums), I see complaints which are more one-offs as opposed to singular issues which hit a wide swath of owners, like we see on the MME. Again, the fact that we are seeing such a few number of issues causing so much disruption is a concern about how software is developed/deployed with this vehicle.

I had hoped that the delay to get a GT would also get some of these teething issues out of the way, but it seems like we’re in the thick of that right now. I am still really excited to get this car and want it to be great, but man… Ford needs to improve their testing and deployment.

Anybody have any words of encouragement?
There are two kinds of teething going on... with the design of the vehicle, and the dealer tech learning curve.

Yep, you hear about a few brickings... but put that in the tech training bin, not design. It's a process and training problem, not a base code issue. More like "you shut off your computer mid-flash, didn't you" kind of a thing versus a successful load with the coding so buggy it causes the bricking. That's why you see some people recommend a Field Service Engineer oversee things... bricking avoided in all cases.

OTA is definitely a work in progress, but by the time you get your vehicle and BlueCruise is launched, most of the rough edges will be gone.

I have a different perspective than most, but I really thought Ford dealers would brick more vehicles than they actually have. A very rare occurrence actually. I give them kudos. As they say, stuff happens.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD Long Range
Country flag
I had mine for 2 weeks, no issue at all except flaky phone connectivity 5% of the time. VIN 249XX

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag
I am less than a month out (I hope) from delivery. Interestingly, software issues don't really worry me. I worry more about a few of the hardware issues that have been reported here, such as bouncy rides, wind noise from the glass roof and a buzzing screen. I have faith that software issues can be resolved, but I'll be stuck living with these issues. (In the event that I have them, or that they are noticeable.) Still, always nice to see a thread in which the overwhelming number of folks really like their MME.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Arguably my problem is that I’m reading forums :)
Because of this forum, I know more about the MME than any other car I have purchased before. Ever. Of course every car has issues, and certainly the first production vehicles will have more issues than later production vehicles (as others have said). Personally, I followed this forum for about six months before ordering my Premium ER AWD.

I wonder, how much did you know about the last car you purchased? If you are like me, a lot less than you know about the MME. And that is a good thing, I think.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Because of this forum, I know more about the MME than any other car I have purchased before. Ever. Of course every car has issues, and certainly the first production vehicles will have more issues than later production vehicles (as others have said). Personally, I followed this forum for about six months before ordering my Premium ER AWD.

I wonder, how much did you know about the last car you purchased? If you are like me, a lot less than you know about the MME. And that is a good thing, I think.
This is SO true. While I did a lot of research before I purchased my current ICE vehicle, this forum has been instrumental in getting me prepped for driving my MME when it arrives. I've got a high VIN, being built next week, so I'm hoping to bypass a lot of the 1.0 issues that a lot here have had, and if not, knowledge from the forum has helped me pre-wire my response should something flake out. Hell, I've even read the online Owner's Manual about three times already. Sure, this place gets kind of contentious at times which is kind of off-putting, but reading the signal through the noise, I don't think there's a better wealth of information about this vehicle out there than this forum.

I've definitely had the cold feet too, but seeing the comments from so many here that they've been really happy with their Mach-Es has made me much more comfortable as well. Hopefully in about eight weeks, I'll be "fully fledged." Thanks to everyone.

ManInBlack

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prem. Mach E SR AWD; Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Aside from writing this at the dealer for the PAAK flash update, I can't complain about the car. It has been a champ and until the recent OTA for PAAK making the situation worse, everything else functions as expected. I don't know when my car was built, as I didn't reserve a car. I just called late May on a Monday and drove off the lot with my new car on Wednesday evening. Got lucky, but it might have been a later build date than lots on the forum.

You gotta feel comfortable with whatever you buy. I have a gas Jeep for longer trips and if anything requires longer service so that my wife can get to work (I work from home 95% of the time). Also, my Jeep required an engine rebuild within the first couple of months because it blew through oil. Fixed and been a champ since (~3 years ago). This is my first EV and was initially nervous about the shift in behavior but both my wife (who hates change/new things) and I are thoroughly enjoying driving pollutant free since purchasing.

Now about getting my electrons from nuclear, wind, solar and hydro only...

SuzzyQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e mustang
Country flag
I’d like to comment on this forum subject. It’s okay to be hesitant on any EV model/brand. I know a Tesla owner and it’s not all perfect. I feel as anything, this is how it is. I’ve had my mache EV since March and I will be the one who will joyously say, “no issues/problems with the car. It’s a pleasure to drive. I’m also a new EV car owner. My only complaint is charging. Electrify America that I received 250 free charging time for is 36 miles from me. Which means I’ll never use my time. The demographics was not taken into consideration for all who bought this car. It needed a charging program that was fair for all, not to benefit some. So, I’ll go on the record as saying, don’t hesitate to buy this electric Mach E. I’ve never met so many nice or talked to so many people in a parking lot in my life! The car is awesome. All Ford needs to do is to keep duplicating the cars that are not problematic. There is always going to be some issues with any car that has software. As long as they fix it, no problem.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My Mach E had a number of "firsts". The good news was Marlin was delivered in February, one of the early ones. The bad news is I found some of the earliest bugs. Marlin was among the first to have the LVB drain issue. The rest of you had it corrected in an SSM. On the plus side, Marlin had the first OTA update in a customer vehicle -- they tested that for part of the software fix. Marlin had the parking brake lock and was the first car to receive a new Primary Drive Unit. However, these are not surprising issues for a brand new, first off the line vehicle with so much new technology. The great part is Ford has been solidly behind the car and fixed these as they came along.

The real question is your tolerance for the teething pains that come with new technology. The LVB/PDU work delayed a vacation we had planned, but only by a few days. It was stressful wondering if he would be ready in time. However, once we started driving Marlin to FL everything performed great. We are in a position where we have an extra car (for now) and are retired, so no daily commute drives. Now Marlin and his software are running great. We use nothing but PaaK. I am still excited driving the Mach E and don't regret the purchase at all. I now have one of the earliest reservations for an F-150 Lightning.

Which is a stronger drive for you? Is it a desire for that hot new GT-PE that no one else will have, and the ability to really show what electrified driving can do? Or is it fear that the car may have some shop time as early issues are identified and fixed? We can't tell you what your threshold is for such things. That's for you to decide.
Retired also and not sure if I would not have bite this off if that was not the case. This was purchased as a retirement car. No visits to the service center for oil changes etc. That has not working out for me yet but it should.

Mine drives like a dream and you forget all the software issues when you are driving it. I got it early February and I also was one of the early ones that had my 12V battery drain on a day that was -28C (-20 F) which was not the best but I was looked after and it was fixed in short order. The rest would all be livable if I had a functional charging schedule which I have not since day one. But Ford is trying to fix this and has been actively involved in working to make this happen both with me and my dealer. Mine appears to be defective hardware (duh one of the only ones to have this problem) and I will be bringing it in again tomorrow for a sobdmc module replacement. It is all good so far and cross fingers and touch wood that I get it back and the charging schedule works. After the basics it is all gravy. Won't be giving it up but could get noisy if it gets cold again and I still have no control over charging maintenance. From what I have seen from Ford to date I think that will be very unlikely. Knowing now what I do know I would do it again. Ever built a new box and then have to trouble shoot bad ram? It happens and once you replace it LG.

idkhow

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bateman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach-e premium, van down by the river
Occupation
it plumber, auto detailer
Country flag
Phone stays connected now using Car Play (Wi-Fi connection instead of Bluetooth)
Any particular way you fixed this, or could you guide me in the right direction? Since I enabled Fordplay (with zero luck as an it engineer) and tried learning aspects of the car, Apple Carplay no longer connects unless I use a USB.

Fails connection every time, despite Bluetooth working. Have tried disconnecting bluetooth to connect carplay, but... no dice.

Besides the PaaK completely bricked and buffeting that made me think I was going to lose the roof, I love the car.

Trying to find out now if inserting 3/16 or 1/4 foam will help me avoid losing my roof, or more is just for noise.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
buffeting that made me think I was going to lose the roof, I love the car.

Trying to find out now if inserting 3/16 or 1/4 foam will help me avoid losing my roof, or more is just for noise.
Did you have the back windows or a combination of windows open at a certain distance? I have found all suv's i have rented and the MME can have a resonant sub effect if the windows are opened a certain way. Take both backs down 4" and see if you can recreate it unless you know this effect and that is not the case here.
Sponsored