This forum was featured with ADM

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
If not for forums like this, I think there may be some that get caught paying the ADM. I just don't agree that it is so pervasive that is it going to destroy the launch. That thought process actually makes me quite angry.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Great, click bait. Someone mentions a crazy ADM before the launch and it gets picked up, repeated to the point it's believed, all without any fact supporting it.

Sure it could happen, but despite my best efforts to find this elusive Bigfoot it still eludes me.

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Great, click bait. Someone mentions a crazy ADM before the launch and it gets picked up, repeated to the point it's believed, all without any fact supporting it.

Sure it could happen, but despite my best efforts to find this elusive Bigfoot it still eludes me.
I would imagine more dealers expected to charge ADM, but Ford’s online ordering model with pricing easily viewable probably put a damper on that.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Tru but we do have verification of a greedy dealer that asked for a $5000 ADM (Autonation Ford - Tustin, CA).

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tru but we do have verification of a greedy dealer that asked for a $5000 ADM (Autonation Ford - Tustin, CA).
Yes, and I think this forum is useful so people can avoid these, but the "reporting" that implies this is some kind is pervasive issue that will derail the product launch is a problem.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would imagine more dealers expected to charge ADM, but Ford’s online ordering model with pricing easily viewable probably put a damper on that.
And probably moreso... when they realized customers could change dealerships and the car (i.e. the sale and commission/profit) went with them if they did.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag

There are two things in this video I disagree with:

1) Range - Longest range Model Y is 316 EPA rated miles. Ford is an estimated 300. I don't think you can make claims about Tesla efficiency when a) it isn't an apples to apples comparison (must wait for EPA ratings) and b) EPA isn't "true range".

2) In the Valley of the Sun w/ 4.8 million people, we didn't find a single dealer that had ADM. It seems to me that its a very small percentage of dealers doing ADM, so small its not even worth the amount of time spent on it in the video.

Just my 2 cents.

Paulalex01

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 F-150, 2019 Miata, 2009 Element
Occupation
Retired - Electrical Engineer
Country flag
There are two things in this video I disagree with:

1) Range - Longest range Model Y is 316 EPA rated miles. Ford is an estimated 300. I don't think you can make claims about Tesla efficiency when a) it isn't an apples to apples comparison (must wait for EPA ratings) and b) EPA isn't "true range".

2) In the Valley of the Sun w/ 4.8 million people, we didn't find a single dealer that had ADM. It seems to me that its a very small percentage of dealers doing ADM, so small its not even worth the amount of time spent on it in the video.

Just my 2 cents.
Agree that this video is a waste of time and is mis-leading. This forum exposed the issue and made it a NON-issue. This guy just took our sites conversation and made a bullsh*t video.

OP
OP

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, BMW i3
Country flag
Range - Longest range Model Y is 316 EPA rated miles. Ford is an estimated 300. I don't think you can make claims about Tesla efficiency when a) it isn't an apples to apples comparison (must wait for EPA ratings) and b) EPA isn't "true range".
I think the point was even if the range is similar (won't know till ford gets rated), Ford has to have a much larger pack to accomplish. So less efficient. One could argue who cares as miles are miles. But it does matter as bigger battery means longer charge time, more cost to ford and customers, heavier car, more costly to charge (more electrons to full), etc.

Think of efficiency in a gas car. 300 miles for a civic versus truck. Same 300 miles but one takes 10 gallons of gas versus 20 gallons of gas.

Don't confuse range with efficiency.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agree that this video is a waste of time and is mis-leading. This forum exposed the issue and made it a NON-issue. This guy just took our sites conversation and made a bullsh*t video.
?

Luckily the guy seems to read stuff from here, so hopefully he will read this.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
He's one of the Teslarati, so I expected it to be biased.

I did see value in this video: more pressure on traditional dealers to get with the program. Some of the sleaziest salesmen I've had to deal with were auto dealers. The sooner the industry cleans up the better. The Tesla direct sale model continued applying the pressure that buying services started. Ford's online system, while a hybrid, is pushing it from within. Our efforts here push it even farther.

One of the video comments read:
Dealership: you want a Mach E? It will be 15000 ADM
Me: I’ll go to buy a Tesla

I replied:
Me: No thanks. Ever hear of the Internet? I'll take my business to one of the 100+ dealers who have agreed to no ADM and will take X-plan. Oh, and we'll put your dealership on the list of greedy dealers who are charging ADM.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
He's one of the Teslarati, so I expected it to be biased.

I did see value in this video: more pressure on traditional dealers to get with the program. Some of the sleaziest salesmen I've had to deal with were auto dealers. The sooner the industry cleans up the better. The Tesla direct sale model continued applying the pressure that buying services started. Ford's online system, while a hybrid, is pushing it from within. Our efforts here push it even farther.

One of the video comments read:
Me: I’ll go to buy a Tesla

I replied:
Me: No thanks. Ever hear of the Internet? I'll take my business to one of the 100+ dealers who have agreed to no ADM and will take X-plan. Oh, and we'll put your dealership on the list of greedy dealers who are charging ADM.
I'll never understand the thinking of the musketeers, I do not know of a world where my second, third, fourth, or any backup choice to something I want would be a Tesla.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I think the point was even if the range is similar (won't know till ford gets rated), Ford has to have a much larger pack to accomplish. So less efficient. One could argue who cares as miles are miles. But it does matter as bigger battery means longer charge time, more cost to ford and customers, heavier car, more costly to charge (more electrons to full), etc.

Think of efficiency in a gas car. 300 miles for a civic versus truck. Same 300 miles but one takes 10 gallons of gas versus 20 gallons of gas.

Don't confuse range with efficiency.
I understand that. Tesla does not release the battery size. The number I found was 75 kWh for the 300 mi RWD version of the Y. I have no idea if that is accurate and with or without the buffer. The Mach-E is 88 kWh actually usable.

The Tesla is probably more efficient, but in the end, without more data, we can't know if that efficiency turns into practical differences.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I would say that tesla use a smaller buffer than most of the legacy auto makers and probably push it as much as possible, people look at paper specs and don't think what it will be like at 100k miles, probably a lot of phone mentality with tesla owners of throw it away and get a new on in a few years time so only really going to see what is what when these cars end up in 3rd / 4th owners hands..
Sponsored