Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e Select AWD comfort/tech pkg
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag
I have been using my charge cable for about a year on my toyota rav 4 prime and now I use it on my MME. It has worked perfectly for the several days I have had the car but tonight something happened that I cannot explain. I have the charge cable plugged into the MME and it is not charging because it reached the charge limit of 90% that I called for. There are no lights on as it is idle. I have the car locked and when I go up to the door and unlock and open, the charge port light next to the plug on MME turns all amber and starts blinking. Nothing is hot as it has not been charging and my garage is around 55 degrees most of the winter so no hot garage. It is almost like it is supposed to do this when the door opens but I cannot find anything about that anywhere. The pigtail is in good also. Anyone have any ideas to what might be causing this. It just started doing this or it might be that I just never had it plugged in when I unlocked and opened the door. The charge cable brains shows no faults. It is a Mustart 40 amp charge cable and controller and it has been a really good reliable cable so I do not think that it is that. I unplugged it while it was amber and plugged it back in and it went back to blue and then finally went back off again. Please note I am talking about the charge port light next to the cable on MME, not the cable control head like I have seen on some of the Ford chargers turning amber. I have no clue so if anyone has any ideas, I sure would love to hear them. Thanks to all.
Sponsored

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
It might be a warning that the cable is still attached so you don't try to drive away, even though there will be a warning in the car about it anyway.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I have been using my charge cable for about a year on my toyota rav 4 prime and now I use it on my MME. It has worked perfectly for the several days I have had the car but tonight something happened that I cannot explain. I have the charge cable plugged into the MME and it is not charging because it reached the charge limit of 90% that I called for. There are no lights on as it is idle. I have the car locked and when I go up to the door and unlock and open, the charge port light next to the plug on MME turns all amber and starts blinking. Nothing is hot as it has not been charging and my garage is around 55 degrees most of the winter so no hot garage. It is almost like it is supposed to do this when the door opens but I cannot find anything about that anywhere. The pigtail is in good also. Anyone have any ideas to what might be causing this. It just started doing this or it might be that I just never had it plugged in when I unlocked and opened the door. The charge cable brains shows no faults. It is a Mustart 40 amp charge cable and controller and it has been a really good reliable cable so I do not think that it is that. I unplugged it while it was amber and plugged it back in and it went back to blue and then finally went back off again. Please note I am talking about the charge port light next to the cable on MME, not the cable control head like I have seen on some of the Ford chargers turning amber. I have no clue so if anyone has any ideas, I sure would love to hear them. Thanks to all.
According to the owners manual, blinking amber indicates that the vehicle detects a fault with your EVSE.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...&userMarket=usa&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False

Your RAV4 Prime could not pull 40A, so you haven't tested the limits of your Mustart EVSE or your home's electrical wiring until switching to the Mach-E.

What type of wiring is on this circuit? Are the connections tight? What size is the breaker? Was it installed by a qualified electrician? These are the sorts of things I'd be thinking about next.

Also, your vehicle came with a mobile charger... Maybe switch to that and see how things go over the next several weeks?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Here’s what’s in the manual. None of the scenarios mentioned match yours.
Ford Mustang Mach-E This has me baffled and cannot find solution 8F97437E-0088-485C-BEB8-D4AC482957AF

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
Mine tripped a 30 amp breaker (pulling 32 amps will do that). I got by for a couple months but the minute it tripped (glowed orange) I upgraded to a 40 amp breaker. The one I replaced was near 40 years old.

OP
OP

Twilloo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag
It might be a warning that the cable is still attached so you don't try to drive away, even though there will be a warning in the car about it anyway.
I think you could be on to something. But I could not find anything about that so maybe in came in a latter update after the manual was out. thanks

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Premium VB & 22 Select GB
Country flag
Mine tripped a 30 amp breaker (pulling 32 amps will do that). I got by for a couple months but the minute it tripped (glowed orange) I upgraded to a 40 amp breaker. The one I replaced was near 40 years old.
Did you just replace the outlet or the wiring as well?

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
I think you could be on to something. But I could not find anything about that so maybe in came in a latter update after the manual was out. thanks
I'll try to do the same next time I charge. Curious.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
If it is a 40Amp EVSE (charger) configured for 40A, then the circuit breaker needs to be 50A and the wiring needs to be #6 romex or #8 THHN. Also confirm that the neutral (white wire) is present.

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
Outlet and breaker. The AWG 8 copper cable was fine for the draw. Old breakers are ehhh, marginal if drawing near/at max load. I was surprised it lasted as long as it did. I did discover a 60 AMP breaker wired with AWG 8! And that got disconnected!

Last edited:

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Many many people get the occasional phantom “charge fault” / orange ring lights when ending a charge. It resets. Just a software loop closure not quite closing correctly. Often with fast chargers. Sometimes with level 2. It happens. If it reset, you’re fine.
Check your wires, your EVSE, plug in your RAV4 to rule out problems. But unless it’s happening every time, I would t worry about it.

OP
OP

Twilloo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag
No, it has been working perfectly on my rav4 prime for a year and it has been just fine when used with my MME until tonight. it only happens when I unlock and open the door while it is plugged in and in an idle state

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Probably….it would have been nice if the color was noted, though.
Oh I didn't notice that difference. The page I linked (above your post) is from the 2022MY manual and it specifies flashing amber. I guess the editor's eventually caught the vagary.

Ford Mustang Mach-E This has me baffled and cannot find solution Screenshot_20220116-194543
Sponsored