Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
The federal administration is taking a hard stance on Tesla's cavalier attitude toward OTA updates. Sending fixes to security issues requires Tesla to issue a recall which Tesla is reluctant to do. It's pretty clear that the administration will be harder on Tesla than Ford because Tesla is not a union company but I'm sure Ford is watching bigger brother Tesla closely and learning from Tesla's mistakes so as to not dirty their noses in the process sending out updates. You can bet that BlueCruise will be fully vetted before it's sent out.

https://komonews.com/amp/news/natio...as-us-seeks-answers-from-tesla-over-no-recall
Sponsored

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
This just sounds like Tesla was trying to use OTA's to avoid issuing a recall. Sure, they identified an issue and quickly sent an update out to correct it. But owners should be aware of an issue on their cars that was serious enough for a recall to take place. What if the OTA didn't work, or didn't apply in time?

I feel like this is just another instance of Tesla trying to avoid a bad headline any way possible again. Just like the reluctance to issue a recall on the infotainment screens dying.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
This just sounds like Tesla was trying to use OTA's to avoid issuing a recall. Sure, they identified an issue and quickly sent an update out to correct it. But owners should be aware of an issue on their cars that was serious enough for a recall to take place. What if the OTA didn't work, or didn't apply in time?

I feel like this is just another instance of Tesla trying to avoid a bad headline any way possible again. Just like the reluctance to issue a recall on the infotainment screens dying.
this is how I read the NHTSA take as well - basically "there should have been a recall and you cheated".

How this ends up playing out is going to be very important for the industry as a whole, in my non-industry-member opinion.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
And this is precisely why I hope Ford does not try to use OTA updates for serious software issues, but only for adding enhancements. If it's a serious operational issue, the dealer needs to do it.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
And this is precisely why I hope Ford does not try to use OTA updates for serious software issues, but only for adding enhancements. If it's a serious operational issue, the dealer needs to do it.
I could absolutely see both sides here.

Part of the promise of OTA updates is/was to avoid dealer visits. It's clear from some of the other threads on here that there are owners with that expectation.

The PaaK Update is an official recall, but Ford has also said it will be OTA at some point.

I think it's fair to take the position that there's a line between "update" and "recall" and handling those differently is a good idea. On the other hand, it's also fair to take the position that "OTA means OTA".

Personally, I fall into the latter, if I'm being honest, since going to the dealer is just one more thing to deal with in my schedule. I think "issue a recall, send the official letters, and say the fix is coming OTA in [timeframe] or you can do it sooner at a dealer" (which seems to be how they are handling the PaaK Recall) is a fair balancing of all of this.

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
This is squarely an issue due to the government "cookie cutter" approach of insisting their way is the only way to solve a problem. OTA's allow something like this to be fixed quickly on the fly. They likely just need to rubber stamp it with a post mortem recall and notice that if your car isn't online and taking the recall update you'll get a notice in the mail. Done.

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport Diesel. Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
Not buying this -- in principle yes, but in fact... had my Tesla for over two years and have received about 15 updates, none safety related. When Tesla announced it was "pulling" radar from cars, each customer was clearly put on notice about this and had the option to decline the car. And as far as people plowing into emergency vehicles: they agreed when accepting and using "auto pilot" that it was a driver assist option and they were not supposed to take their eyes off the road. What this really sounds like is the NTSB trying to get out ahead of a tech.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Personally, I fall into the latter, if I'm being honest, since going to the dealer is just one more thing to deal with in my schedule. I think "issue a recall, send the official letters, and say the fix is coming OTA in [timeframe] or you can do it sooner at a dealer" (which seems to be how they are handling the PaaK Recall) is a fair balancing of all of this.
I agree with this. And I sure hope they'll be pushing out the windshield reinstall OTA.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I agree with this. And I sure hope they'll be pushing out the windshield reinstall OTA.
you don't want the windshield to be sent over the air. that's not good.

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
Ford has too much at stake to not do the right thing. PaaK recall shows they understand this. But if software is shipping on new cars why are we who have bought into their strategy (some of us almost two years ago who backed it with cash) why are we still waiting? Quality has to be assured, sure. But in addition to the hassle of a trip to the dealer, it takes a month to get an appointment for each fix and then some are still not offered. After 8 months I still love my car, but I’m looking forward to receiving the promise of (timely) OTA updates that unlock its full capabilities.

Written with respect to FOMOCO.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Ford has too much at stake to not do the right thing. PaaK recall shows they understand this. But if software is shipping on new cars why are we who have bought into their strategy (some of us almost two years ago who backed it with cash) why are we still waiting?
without rehashing in detail for the 98th time, the belief is that unlike flashing at the factory, which is a controlled situation that can be easily caught and corrected if it goes wrong with no substantial customer impact, OTA is a different, much riskier process. We don't have proof of this belief, but it's a reasonable (IMHO) guess.

some folks (including me ?) believe that after a couple of these rollouts happen successfully, Ford will gain more confidence and be less conservative.

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
I prefer to visit the dealer as infrequently as possible. If a software problem can be fixed OTA I'm all for that. Leaving the option open to go to the dealer to apply the update manually is fine too, so I agree with Fords approach.

That said, I think Tesla (and all auto makers) needs to disclose OTA fixes for safety issues. The recall notices serve that purpose, but the same could be done with details being provided via OTA as well. I wasn't clear on the article if that happened or not. If this was done just to avoid bad PR, which it probably was, I'm not ok with that. Tesla needs to take their public lashing (via recall notices) like every other auto maker.

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
without rehashing in detail for the 98th time, the belief is that unlike flashing at the factory, which is a controlled situation that can be easily caught and corrected if it goes wrong with no substantial customer impact, OTA is a different, much riskier process. We don't have proof of this belief, but it's a reasonable (IMHO) guess.

some folks (including me ?) believe that after a couple of these rollouts happen successfully, Ford will gain more confidence and be less conservative.
Agreed. Just adding to the feedback loop hoping Dearborn is listening.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would prefer if my car could get body work over OTA, but I think we are still 30 or 40 years away from fully healing metals and plastics.

Off to the dealer I go...
Sponsored