Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 First Edition AWD, 2014 Leaf
Occupation
Software
Country flag
If they can’t roll an update to something like 30,000 vehicles now, we are screwed when they have a half a million cars to roll updates to.

If you can’t see that, might I suggest a trip to your optometrist?
Please, don’t be so passive aggressive. Its really easy to scale out to 500k vehicles if we solve most problems with 30k vehicles.
Its not a problem of download servers capacity unless the developers are complete idiots.
Sponsored

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Metallic RWD, standard range
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Because my angst has nothing to do with 1.7.1. It has everything to do with the process as I have seen it play out over 4 OTA updates so far. It is about there being no noticeable progress in operations tempo so far. It is about these facts killing my faith that this tempo will get any better once there are hundreds of thousands of cars in the queue than there are now. If they can’t roll an update to something like 30,000 vehicles now, we are screwed when they have a half a million cars to roll updates to.

If you can’t see that, might I suggest a trip to your optometrist?
actually I see quite well. So 4 OTAs in the first year, and you're not pleased at the tempo with things, on a totally new platform. I've had two OTAs, alas, I didn't get all moist in anticipation, just noted when they arrived. Ditto 1.71 when it arrives fine, or any other OTA for that matter.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Please, don’t be so passive aggressive. Its really easy to scale out to 500k vehicles if we solve most problems with 30k vehicles.
Its not a problem of download servers capacity unless the developers are complete idiots.
When I got the first ”update” there were around 5,000 Mach-E’s in the wild. It took 5 weeks from the first report o the update for my car to get that update. That timeframe has remained the same for each subsequent update. So far, I have seen absolutely nothing that would make me think that timeframe will improve. At all.

also, please don’t tell me what I can or cannot do.

Chudsaviet

First Name
Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 First Edition AWD, 2014 Leaf
Occupation
Software
Country flag
When I got the first ”update” there were around 5,000 Mach-E’s in the wild. It took 5 weeks from the first report o the update for my car to get that update. That timeframe has remained the same for each subsequent update. So far, I have seen absolutely nothing that would make me think that timeframe will improve. At all.

also, please don’t tell me what I can or cannot do.
As a software engineer, I can assure you its not a server capacity problem. Its a development process problem. Also they are keeping us in dark, which is a company culture problem.
But I can assure you, once they are ready, they will apply the update to any number of cars within a week. It doesn’t depend on how many cars are produced.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If OTA is quicker than it may be safer to fix them sooner and follow up with the paperwork later.

Updates that would matter are 91 KWh as Fords new friends are getting, no more 80% 11KW DCFC hassle, modified charging fan curve to reduce noise, motors not over heating on descent fix and anything else that makes it maintain itself and/or go better. These are the type of upgrades I am waiting for to see what actually happens. That is what we bought into upgradable and our cars getting better as promised. It maybe a first year model but OTA upgrades is what makes that alright. Have no problem with caution and/or patience but do expect to see actual upgrades coming. 1.7.1 I can live without.

re: dealers being paid by Ford. Yes, dealers are paid by Ford to perform recall or required maintenance, but they don't really make money on it. For example, when my MME was in for a software update it was on a TSB, the service manager grumbled that the TSB procedure took them 4 to 5 hours to accomplish, but that Ford only paid for 2.3 hours shop time.

If that is typical, then it's not like Ford is propping up their dealer service centers.
Maybe it is because they may not need to stand there and watch it install? We own bay hogs.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
The federal administration is taking a hard stance on Tesla's cavalier attitude toward OTA updates. Sending fixes to security issues requires Tesla to issue a recall which Tesla is reluctant to do. It's pretty clear that the administration will be harder on Tesla than Ford because Tesla is not a union company but I'm sure Ford is watching bigger brother Tesla closely and learning from Tesla's mistakes so as to not dirty their noses in the process sending out updates. You can bet that BlueCruise will be fully vetted before it's sent out.

https://komonews.com/amp/news/natio...as-us-seeks-answers-from-tesla-over-no-recall
Security issues? It was an OTA update to keep autopilot from crashing into emergency vehicles.

The other issue is that Tesla makes FSD beta testers sign NDAs which could potentially interfere with a NHTSA investigation.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Metallic RWD, standard range
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Security issues? It was an OTA update to keep autopilot from crashing into emergency vehicles.

The other issue is that Tesla makes FSD beta testers sign NDAs which could potentially interfere with a NHTSA investigation.
I'm curious and I know nothing about it, but would an NDA prevent someone from reporting safety issues to the government safety agency. I don't see how that could work.

I mean a company preventing reporting could be seen as a criminal activity.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm curious and I know nothing about it, but would an NDA prevent someone from reporting safety issues to the government safety agency. I don't see how that could work.

Distortion of the truth by those with money and no integrity? Never happens. ;)

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
As a software engineer, I can assure you its not a server capacity problem. Its a development process problem. Also they are keeping us in dark, which is a company culture problem.
But I can assure you, once they are ready, they will apply the update to any number of cars within a week. It doesn’t depend on how many cars are produced.
And yet it never dawned on you that the pace of the rollouts is a culture issue too?

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag

I don't know if this has been mentioned in the thread but this is an auto vlog I follow and his (he's an attorney) discussion of the Tesla "stealth recall" and use of NDAs.

cloh76

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav 4; Mach-e
Country flag
Is there somewhere where we can see the latest OTA updates and details about updates as well as notices for future and upcoming updates? Tesla does a pretty good job of communicating updates - when they are happening and what to expect. Haven't seen that yet with my Mach-E

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Is there somewhere where we can see the latest OTA updates and details about updates as well as notices for future and upcoming updates? Tesla does a pretty good job of communicating updates - when they are happening and what to expect. Haven't seen that yet with my Mach-E
Here. Ford insiders have posted about most updates before they were released publicly.

Also, NHTSA. Check the "manufacturer communications" for your vehicle (here's the link for 2021 RWD):

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2021/FORD/MUSTANG%2520MACH-E/SUV/RWD#manufacturerCommunications

Here is a software update listing from late August that details past, present, and future (1.8.0) updates:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10200895-0001.pdf

Trick.Mach-E

First Name
Trick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old Raptor, Mach-E4x, New Raptor, F-250, Taycan.
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Country flag
I would prefer if my car could get body work over OTA, but I think we are still 30 or 40 years away from fully healing metals and plastics.

Off to the dealer I go...
OTA body work has been around for a while...

Ford Mustang Mach-E This is why Ford will be conservative rolling out OTA updates 456YPs

Just don't make your car mad... or else...

Ford Mustang Mach-E This is why Ford will be conservative rolling out OTA updates Run

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So if there is an urgent safety recall that is only a software update that, let's say affects complete loss of braking for example. So by the logic of several I should call my dealer and not use my car until it gets fixed.

That means it will be 3 to 5 weeks to get a Service appointment for something that would be much safer pushing over OTA since Ford can already see everything that that car is reporting back. Plus not driving a car with faulty braking software for a month, or park it and wait every time an "important" update needs to be applied by a dealer.

Even when the Ford BEV team is telling my dealers' Service Manager what needs to be done to fix the lane centering errors and that it is urgent to get it done, my car has been sitting outside of the service area for 2 days. It has not moved nor has the MME tech even touched it.

If OTA updates could be used to fix that issue it would be done already so my car could go back to the body shop to get the damaged parts replaced.

Even with Ford pushing my dealer the manual updates are far from efficient from a user experience. OTA can happen at any time. Manual updates you are at the mercy of someone else's schedule. And when you have a dealer that doesn't think EVs are the future trend, your experience too will not be so pleasing.

And to everyone that says "find a different dealer", the next closest MME certified dealer from my location is 68 miles away. That is a long way to go for a safety recall.

cloh76

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav 4; Mach-e
Country flag
But Blue Criuse has already been released (as has the latest update) on new already delivered cars. So . .
So why doesn't everyone (like myself) have it. I want to get my hands on it to test it out for myself :)
Sponsored