littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Country flag
Interesting.

I’d be worried when it doesn’t work and tells you to run a red light.

I feel like Tesla keeps adding features to encourage people to text and drive.
I use this feature all the time in my Model Y, and it hasn't once told me to proceed on a red.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I use this feature all the time in my Model Y, and it hasn't once told me to proceed on a red.
Well you wouldn’t be here to tell us if it did.

It just seems like Tesla is really encouraging people to not pay attention and let the car do it for them. What are people needing to do at a red light other than look at the light?

What happens when there’s a pedestrian that jaywalks or an emergency vehicle or someone runs a light?

I would rather put safety things on a car that encourage people to pay attention rather than the opposite.

I remember in the video of the Tesla guy reviewing blue cruise that he criticized it because the Tesla autopilot was “better if you’re not paying attention.”

I think that’s actually a bad thing!

Last edited:

ncaadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Ext AWD
Country flag
Well you wouldn’t be here to tell us if it did.

It just seems like Tesla is really encouraging people to not pay attention and let the car do it for them. What are people needing to do at a red light other than look at the light?

What happens when there’s a pedestrian that jaywalks or an emergency vehicle or someone runs a light?

I would rather put safety things on a car that encourage people to pay attention rather than the opposite.

I remember in the video of the Tesla guy reviewing blue cruise that he criticized it because the Tesla autopilot was “better if you’re not paying attention.”

I think that’s actually a bad thing!
I’m not sure this thread should go down this path, but I think it’s pretty well known/proven that humans aren’t great drivers and lose of life results.

it will also be proven (I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt that it hasn’t yet, even though many would say it has) that an autonomous driver is way safer than the average human operator.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I’m not sure this thread should go down this path, but I think it’s pretty well known/proven that humans aren’t great drivers and lose of life results.

it will also be proven (I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt that it hasn’t yet, even though many would say it has) that an autonomous driver is way safer than the average human operator.
I’m ok with that.

But you know what’s even safer? When both the computer and the human are paying attention!

I like that blue cruise makes you keep your eyes on the road for example. It doesn’t have to be an either or situation.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I agree with the OP's comments; I test drove a Model Y this past winter and was honestly impressed with the car. Great software/interface and impressive acceleration. Also, hats off to Tesla for forcing the other automakers to enter the 21st century. Like the OP, I couldn't get past the issues with build quality (too many rattles and creaks). The Tesla had bleeding-edge tech, but just wasn't put together as well as a $50K+ car should be.

Also, the autopilot on the Tesla flaked out a few times and left me feeling a lack of confidence when engaged. For as much as I've heard about Tesla being 'light years ahead' on autopilot tech, I didn't get the impression that they're that far ahead. Yeah, their system has more features, but it doesn't really deliver a higher level of effective autonomy than what I've seen from competitors. At the very least, definitely NOT worth the $10K price tag.

dmasteR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Audi S4
Country flag
I agree with the OP's comments; I test drove a Model Y this past winter and was honestly impressed with the car. Great software/interface and impressive acceleration. Also, hats off to Tesla for forcing the other automakers to enter the 21st century. Like the OP, I couldn't get past the issues with build quality (too many rattles and creaks). The Tesla had bleeding-edge tech, but just wasn't put together as well as a $50K+ car should be.

Also, the autopilot on the Tesla flaked out a few times and left me feeling a lack of confidence when engaged. For as much as I've heard about Tesla being 'light years ahead' on autopilot tech, I didn't get the impression that they're that far ahead. Yeah, their system has more features, but it doesn't really deliver a higher level of effective autonomy than what I've seen from competitors. At the very least, definitely NOT worth the $10K price tag.
Autopilot isn't 10K.

FSD that isn't released is $10K

praxiscat

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Tesla Model 3
Country flag
So husband has a Model 3. There is a great deal I like about the car, but I do have a number of complaints.
1. Fit and finish is as bad as they say. We have had chrome slide off on the door handles (thankfully no injuries). We currently have the trim on the driver side B pillar falling off and needing to be secured back into place (NOT EASY). This alone is taking two weeks for a service tech to come out for a visit).
2. The car has some major safety issues with autopilot. It will try and take you down closed express lanes. It will phantom brake in the middle of the highway. Sometimes this shit is horrifying and you ABSOLUTELY MUST pay close attention at ALL times.
3. The trunk entry is tiny.
4. As good as the infotainment is good at some things it FREQUENTLY requires extensive menu diving for simple tasks. Driver distraction is very much a thing here.
5. The lack of a dash screen is very noticible, the center mount screen is definitely a problem.
6. The Road Noise is LOUD.
7. There is a learning curve, and it is often a moving target, as Tesla frequently changes things.

This is not to knock it. It is basically a really good value for a very fast sports sedan, that is fun to drive. The charging network is very good, but not as convenient as you think (I have closer fast chargers for my mache in NW DC).

But my god, Tesla needs to get into the basics of car building more.

Needless to say after experiencing a Tesla, I wanted something else. I saw a Mustang Mach-E in person and was impressed as hell. Drove one and a MY and couldn't get the MME out of my mind.
He would still get another Tesla. He talks about getting a Model Y. So despite the issues, he still loves it, because he loves the tech and performance. Despite its issues, he still loves Tesla.

praxiscat

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Autopilot isn't 10K.

FSD that isn't released is $10K
FSD package includes the Navigate on autopilot and the more advanced autopilot features like automated lane change.
The basic autopilot does not include this. It gets confusing. But you are cut out of many features without that $10k price.

Personally, I think the price is about $5000 too much for what it does. I think many Tesla drivers do as well, as the adoption rate has dropped considerably on their vehicles.

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
My brother-in-law/boss has a lemon of a Tesla Model S* he got back in early 2013. Since the thing is frequently in the shop, he gets loaners that he'll let me drive. So far, I've driven multiple Model S, a Model X, and most recently a Model 3. The more recent loaners had autopilot, and the Model 3 is the first one I've driven that wasn't locked into "chill" mode (severely limiting acceleration.) Figured I'd compare my experiences to my Mach E (Premium, RWD, standard battery with about 5500 miles on it so far.)

Things I liked about the Tesla (in comparison to my Mach E.)
  • The infotainment system is buttery smooth and has been from the start. Ford has a ton of catch-up to do from that perspective.
  • The autopilot works nicely on the highway and is pleasant for stop and go traffic. Although I kept my attention on the road, it is nice to have as a backup if I get distracted by something.
  • Part of the autopilot system is a screen that shows vehicles, people, and obstacles around the car. It really helps improve the driver's SA**.
  • The navigation is the best factory stock nav system I've used (although I still prefer car play.)
  • Speaking of which, the map can take up the entire screen. I'm hoping that at some point we'll get full screen Car Play and Android Auto.
  • Living in the NYC tri-state area, there are a ton of superchargers around, which is convenient.
  • I do enjoy the sense of whimsy they imbued in the infotainment system. (e.g. the fart noise generator. not something I'd ever use, but I appreciate the goofiness of it.)
  • Bluetooth connects almost instantly.
  • I instantly fell in love with chime on green light feature. I hope we get something like that at some point or another.
  • The Model X's forward view is outstanding, especially with the wind screen going all the way up and above your head.
  • The acceleration in the Model Y is almost shocking. I was pleased that my Mach E's acceleration was roughly similar to my boss's old Model S, and that it can throw me back in the seat, but it doesn't compare to the Tesla. It accelerates so fast that it actually locked up the seatbelt. I also scared the living crap out of my wife despite warning her. :)
Dislikes:
  • The door handles on the Model 3 are so poorly designed that it almost single-handedly kills any enthusiasm I have for that model. They are surprisingly difficult to operate, especially if your hand is full.
  • I hate having ALL of the controls and info on the tablet. The autopilot is almost necessary as it is very distracting to have to go through multiple menus in order to do something like change the angle of the rear-view mirrors.
  • I also dislike the tablet being in landscape. It makes sense since they need the real-estate to handle of the functionality, but I like vertical screens, especially for navigation (you can see further in front of you, as long as you are not using North is up.)
  • Somehow, Tesla managed to design a difficult to use turn-signal indicator. There were times where it took me a full minute to figure out how to stop it from blinking after a turn or merge. (In autopilot, it does turn off automatically after a lane change.) The cars behind me were probably somewhat bemused on my signals constantly switching from left to right as I tried to find the exact movement needed to turn them off.
  • Just to make sure we are clear: I despise having all the instrumentation located in a place that forces me to take my eyes off the road for a good amount of time. (anything longer than the time it takes to glance down briefly is too long.)
With the Model 3, if it wasn't for the acceleration, I'd have no interest in it at all. I'm very happy with my Mach E, and I hope that Ford starts including some of the features that Tesla got right. That being said, I bought the Mach E knowing it was a first generation of a new product and haven't been too frustrated or disappointed by anything yet.

*One of a few reasons why I bought the Mach E instead of a Tesla. I don't trust their build quality.
**Situational awareness
While Tesla prob beats Mach e anytime, isn’t the Mach e 4x quite a bit faster than the rwd? Honestly with my FE (4x), it’s plenty fast for me for sure. Maybe I’m a wimp. Don’t think I’d ever choose a similarly priced car based on more torque than I’ve got. Of course the Mach e wins for me on all the important parts!

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
My brother-in-law/boss has a lemon of a Tesla Model S* he got back in early 2013. Since the thing is frequently in the shop, he gets loaners that he'll let me drive. So far, I've driven multiple Model S, a Model X, and most recently a Model 3. The more recent loaners had autopilot, and the Model 3 is the first one I've driven that wasn't locked into "chill" mode (severely limiting acceleration.) Figured I'd compare my experiences to my Mach E (Premium, RWD, standard battery with about 5500 miles on it so far.)

Things I liked about the Tesla (in comparison to my Mach E.)
  • The infotainment system is buttery smooth and has been from the start. Ford has a ton of catch-up to do from that perspective.
  • The autopilot works nicely on the highway and is pleasant for stop and go traffic. Although I kept my attention on the road, it is nice to have as a backup if I get distracted by something.
  • Part of the autopilot system is a screen that shows vehicles, people, and obstacles around the car. It really helps improve the driver's SA**.
  • The navigation is the best factory stock nav system I've used (although I still prefer car play.)
  • Speaking of which, the map can take up the entire screen. I'm hoping that at some point we'll get full screen Car Play and Android Auto.
  • Living in the NYC tri-state area, there are a ton of superchargers around, which is convenient.
  • I do enjoy the sense of whimsy they imbued in the infotainment system. (e.g. the fart noise generator. not something I'd ever use, but I appreciate the goofiness of it.)
  • Bluetooth connects almost instantly.
  • I instantly fell in love with chime on green light feature. I hope we get something like that at some point or another.
  • The Model X's forward view is outstanding, especially with the wind screen going all the way up and above your head.
  • The acceleration in the Model Y is almost shocking. I was pleased that my Mach E's acceleration was roughly similar to my boss's old Model S, and that it can throw me back in the seat, but it doesn't compare to the Tesla. It accelerates so fast that it actually locked up the seatbelt. I also scared the living crap out of my wife despite warning her. :)
Dislikes:
  • The door handles on the Model 3 are so poorly designed that it almost single-handedly kills any enthusiasm I have for that model. They are surprisingly difficult to operate, especially if your hand is full.
  • I hate having ALL of the controls and info on the tablet. The autopilot is almost necessary as it is very distracting to have to go through multiple menus in order to do something like change the angle of the rear-view mirrors.
  • I also dislike the tablet being in landscape. It makes sense since they need the real-estate to handle of the functionality, but I like vertical screens, especially for navigation (you can see further in front of you, as long as you are not using North is up.)
  • Somehow, Tesla managed to design a difficult to use turn-signal indicator. There were times where it took me a full minute to figure out how to stop it from blinking after a turn or merge. (In autopilot, it does turn off automatically after a lane change.) The cars behind me were probably somewhat bemused on my signals constantly switching from left to right as I tried to find the exact movement needed to turn them off.
  • Just to make sure we are clear: I despise having all the instrumentation located in a place that forces me to take my eyes off the road for a good amount of time. (anything longer than the time it takes to glance down briefly is too long.)
With the Model 3, if it wasn't for the acceleration, I'd have no interest in it at all. I'm very happy with my Mach E, and I hope that Ford starts including some of the features that Tesla got right. That being said, I bought the Mach E knowing it was a first generation of a new product and haven't been too frustrated or disappointed by anything yet.

*One of a few reasons why I bought the Mach E instead of a Tesla. I don't trust their build quality.
**Situational awareness
Also way too much time in the shop, no?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I’d be worried when it doesn’t work and tells you to run a red light.
I'm more worried that a driver will be playing with his phone (or himself ?) and will just mash the go pedal when the beep is heard. The intersection might not be fully cleared of other road users.

I think it'd be better if the vehicle waited at least 2-4 seconds before playing a gentle "pay attention" beep. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way right now.

I feel like Tesla keeps adding features to encourage people to text and drive.
Yes. Agreed.

dmasteR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Audi S4
Country flag
FSD package includes the Navigate on autopilot and the more advanced autopilot features like automated lane change.
The basic autopilot does not include this. It gets confusing. But you are cut out of many features without that $10k price.

Personally, I think the price is about $5000 too much for what it does. I think many Tesla drivers do as well, as the adoption rate has dropped considerably on their vehicles.
Probably why most have opted for the subscription model instead.

Tarynem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Premium (pending)
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I test drove a Tesla 3. I have to say it was THE smoothest ride and acceleration that I've ever experienced. However with the exception of the Model S, Tesla is making some funny looking cars. I can't get past that. I LOVE the look, feel and power of the MME. I also love that you don't see many of them around (yet). The Model Y and 3 are EVERYWHERE.

EVready

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB GLC300, BMW M240xi, Lexus RX350
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
When I test drove a MY, I was surprised how rough the ride was on an uneven road. Haven't tried a MME yet. I would be curious to hear what folks have to say about the ride comparison.
Sponsored