Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
So husband has a Model 3. There is a great deal I like about the car, but I do have a number of complaints.
1. Fit and finish is as bad as they say. We have had chrome slide off on the door handles (thankfully no injuries). We currently have the trim on the driver side B pillar falling off and needing to be secured back into place (NOT EASY). This alone is taking two weeks for a service tech to come out for a visit).
2. The car has some major safety issues with autopilot. It will try and take you down closed express lanes. It will phantom brake in the middle of the highway. Sometimes this shit is horrifying and you ABSOLUTELY MUST pay close attention at ALL times.
3. The trunk entry is tiny.
4. As good as the infotainment is good at some things it FREQUENTLY requires extensive menu diving for simple tasks. Driver distraction is very much a thing here.
5. The lack of a dash screen is very noticible, the center mount screen is definitely a problem.
6. The Road Noise is LOUD.
7. There is a learning curve, and it is often a moving target, as Tesla frequently changes things.

This is not to knock it. It is basically a really good value for a very fast sports sedan, that is fun to drive. The charging network is very good, but not as convenient as you think (I have closer fast chargers for my mache in NW DC).

But my god, Tesla needs to get into the basics of car building more.

Needless to say after experiencing a Tesla, I wanted something else. I saw a Mustang Mach-E in person and was impressed as hell. Drove one and a MY and couldn't get the MME out of my mind.
He would still get another Tesla. He talks about getting a Model Y. So despite the issues, he still loves it, because he loves the tech and performance. Despite its issues, he still loves Tesla.
Thanks for the experienced info. I test drove a dual motor model 3 in the summer of 2020 as I got tired of the lack of info from Ford and also liked a lot about it. Before the test drive I read the manual to get acquainted with the interface and learn more about the car. Even though I read the manual the night before it still took prompting from the sales rep to remember how to set the mirrors and navigate the UI. The car was fun to drive and definitely quick, but I agree with you that having to navigate through the UI to do even simple things is a shortcoming in design - especially since the controls are overloaded and unlabeled so you have to remember which of the 2 scroll wheels does what and what direction to push the gear selector for which action. I'm a software engineer so would adapt/remember where everything is pretty quickly but my wife would not. She is a luddite and would be completely overwhelmed by the UI.

Overall the Tesla software is more refined and snappy and the car was fun to drive, but they went too far with the "minimalism". When you have to give someone a 15 minute tutorial just so they can adjust the mirrors/steering wheel and shift into reverse/drive then you've done something wrong.
Sponsored

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
6. The Road Noise is LOUD.
For what it's worth, the difference in the interior noise between a 2018-2020 Model 3 vs 2021 is significant. My wife and I test drove a 2019 3 Performance, and then a 2021 3 Performance (demo vehicle) and you can easily tell how much quieter the 2021 was. Most likely a combination of the Pirelli P Zero tires vs the older Michelin Pilot Sport, along with the double laminated front windows.

We ended up buying new instead of used (heat pump, chrome delete, new interior/refresh, quieter interior, a few extra years on the warranty). Her 2021 M3P is also much quieter and smoother ride than my 2020 MYLR. The Y stock suspension is fairly stiff, unfortunately. The open hatch design also leads to some noise being heard that normally wouldn't be there with a sedan.

smartino

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RR Mach E First Edition, 2017 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
When I test drove a MY, I was surprised how rough the ride was on an uneven road. Haven't tried a MME yet. I would be curious to hear what folks have to say about the ride comparison.
That is exactly why I traded in my MY for the MME. The Y was so rough on any bumpy road that my back was definitely not happy. The MME is much more refined when it comes to the suspension and the ride. The MME is also much more quieter.

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
The noise level esp. above 80 mph on the M3 I drove last year was almost unbearable. Sad to see that has not improved. Whatever effort TSLA put into noise control on the car is wasted and simply not working.

My 'friend' took the MME to 110 mph last week. It is amazing how quiet the cabin was. Easily the most refined cabin for a Mustang I have been in.

OP
OP
pooter03

pooter03

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Do you have any observations regarding ride comfort comparison? Interior ride noise? Creaks and rattles?
The Mach E is the most comfortable driver seat that I've ever sat in. It feels slightly extra cushiony compared to the rest of the cars I've been in. My wife says the same about the passenger seat. In fact, we both immediately noticed that the first time we sat in our Mustang.

I've driven only sedans my entire life (with the occasional convertible Mustang or Camaro rental on vacations) and really don't care for SUVs*. That being said, I'm not used to having a higher ride and it is an adjustment getting into a lower sedan. So, it isn't exactly an apples-to-apples comparison to the Model 3. However, I don't remember being particularly uncomfortable in the 3 of the Model X. As far as noise, none of them were loud enough that it caught my attention.

*The fact that the Mustang was everything I was looking for in an EV at my price point won me over, but given the chance, my next EV will be a sedan.

OP
OP
pooter03

pooter03

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Uh... a 2013? Because of my wife's (possible) interest in a Mach E we're looking to test drive one. And compare it to my M3P. Will check in after.
He was one of the early adopters of the Model S and reserved one before they were released. They started shipping in mid 2012 if I remember, but his didn't arrive until January or February of 2013.

OP
OP
pooter03

pooter03

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Well you wouldn’t be here to tell us if it did.

It just seems like Tesla is really encouraging people to not pay attention and let the car do it for them. What are people needing to do at a red light other than look at the light?

What happens when there’s a pedestrian that jaywalks or an emergency vehicle or someone runs a light?

I would rather put safety things on a car that encourage people to pay attention rather than the opposite.

I remember in the video of the Tesla guy reviewing blue cruise that he criticized it because the Tesla autopilot was “better if you’re not paying attention.”

I think that’s actually a bad thing!
The last time I drove an autopilot enabled Tesla was shortly after the feature was first rolling out. I'm not sure if it has changed, but there are two things to note:
1. Auto-steering only works on highways right now. It will change lanes and take the correct exits automatically. On regular roads, it works fine for straightaways, especially if there are a ton of lights and traffic. But you are required to make any actual turns onto other roads.
2. About every 30 seconds, you are required to slightly turn the wheel so it knows you are paying attention. If you wait to long, there's a loud alarm and a message telling you to take control NOW. Of course, this can be easily defeated by attaching a small weight to the steering wheel so there is juuuuust enough pressure for the car to detect.

OP
OP
pooter03

pooter03

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Doesn't shock me. Granted, my only actual experience with Tesla's build quality is a sample size of 1. But, that combined with lots of similar complaints I came across during research leads me to believe my brother in law's was not a rare isolated case.

OP
OP
pooter03

pooter03

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I test drove a Tesla 3. I have to say it was THE smoothest ride and acceleration that I've ever experienced. However with the exception of the Model S, Tesla is making some funny looking cars. I can't get past that. I LOVE the look, feel and power of the MME. I also love that you don't see many of them around (yet). The Model Y and 3 are EVERYWHERE.
The area of NJ I live is overflowing with Teslas of all makes. OTOH, I received my MME in March and haven't seen a second one until a couple weeks ago. So yeah, the Mustang does stand out and I've frequently had people stop me to ask questions about it*. Almost everyone is surprised that it is all electric, which surprised me.

A couple years ago I borrowed my boss's Model S to go to a wedding in New Hampshire, and was surprised at the reaction the Tesla got as we drove through small towns. It was an interesting reminder that what I've taken for granted is still unique to a lot of other people.

*I never thought I'd own a car that drew this much attention before. My ego likes it, and I'm enjoying the experience, but I'll be just as happy seeing more MMEs on the road.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The last time I drove an autopilot enabled Tesla was shortly after the feature was first rolling out. I'm not sure if it has changed, but there are two things to note:
1. Auto-steering only works on highways right now. It will change lanes and take the correct exits automatically. On regular roads, it works fine for straightaways, especially if there are a ton of lights and traffic. But you are required to make any actual turns onto other roads.
2. About every 30 seconds, you are required to slightly turn the wheel so it knows you are paying attention. If you wait to long, there's a loud alarm and a message telling you to take control NOW. Of course, this can be easily defeated by attaching a small weight to the steering wheel so there is juuuuust enough pressure for the car to detect.
At least with the most recent version, AP works on slower rural roads if it's properly marked. I took out some friends for a spin in Harrisburg, VA out in the middle of nowhere. The car could take 2 sweeping 70ish degree curves at 40-45 mph perfectly fine.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Thoughts and comparisons to the MachE after driving a Tesla Model 3 over the weekend. 1631212257333

Last edited:
OP
OP
pooter03

pooter03

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Occupation
IT
Country flag
At least with the most recent version, AP works on slower rural roads if it's properly marked. I took out some friends for a spin in Harrisburg, VA out in the middle of nowhere. The car could take sweeping 90 degree curves at 40-45 mph perfectly fine.
Gotcha. What I meant is it won't make turns at intersections.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Gotcha. What I meant is it won't make turns at intersections.
oh yeah, that would require full self driving, which isn't really worth the price. I had the option to buy it when it was at $6k and it still wasn't worth it. Most I'd be willing to pay for FSD is $2k.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
The Mach E is the most comfortable driver seat that I've ever sat in. It feels slightly extra cushiony compared to the rest of the cars I've been in. My wife says the same about the passenger seat. In fact, we both immediately noticed that the first time we sat in our Mustang.

I've driven only sedans my entire life (with the occasional convertible Mustang or Camaro rental on vacations) and really don't care for SUVs*. That being said, I'm not used to having a higher ride and it is an adjustment getting into a lower sedan. So, it isn't exactly an apples-to-apples comparison to the Model 3. However, I don't remember being particularly uncomfortable in the 3 of the Model X. As far as noise, none of them were loud enough that it caught my attention.

*The fact that the Mustang was everything I was looking for in an EV at my price point won me over, but given the chance, my next EV will be a sedan.
I agree about the Mach-E's seats - they really punch above their weight in comfort and outdo the seats on a lot of more expensive vehicles. I've been extremely happy with them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pooter03

pooter03

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Occupation
IT
Country flag
oh yeah, that would require full self driving, which isn't really worth the price. I had the option to buy it when it was at $6k and it still wasn't worth it. Most I'd be willing to pay for FSD is $2k.
The car is returned now, but as far as I can remember, it I thought it had full autopilot based on the options, including the ability to enable autopilot during navigation. However, the release notes say it is in beta and not meant to be used on local roads.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Autopilot isn't 10K.

FSD that isn't released is $10K
Yeah, I meant FSD. That's what I wasn't impressed with. In any case, the car I test drove had the optional self driving package (beyond autopilot) whatever it was called at the time.
Sponsored