Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach e and Tesla model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The software will improve. Look at the original version of iOS compared to the subsequent annual updates that got us to iOS 14.
If they can improve the software and the aftermarket can fix the suspension then I honestly have nothing to complain about
Sponsored

Olds442

First Name
Olds
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GT, '22 Premium Ex AWD
Occupation
sales
Country flag
tesla is a tech company that builds cars.

ford is a motor company, that is learning tech.

car companies have historically been crap at tech. my 2010 FX35 UI is a joke, even by 2010 standards when compared to a phone or computer from the same year. this is clearly changing as most car mfgs are pouring big investment into getting better at tech. i'd like to thank tesla for that push, more than the push to go full BEV.

i loved my model S and 3, and i don't have the hang up about a middle screen, lack of screen in front of the driver, door handles etc. sold my 3 when the world ended since i was no longer commuting, and our small biz took a major smack in the jaw.

i did have the opportunity to walk around a MME at the 2020 chicago auto show, feb of 2020. i was very impressed. it was a lot nicer than i had surmised from the few images i had seen of it online.

so my recent decision was to go with the MME, after sitting in one and going on a brief test drive. the trusty ole FX is slipping in first, and needs another exhaust. with 145k on her, i'm at a value tipping point. it was the fit and finish that really sold me after looking over 3 different MMEs. generally speaking (there's always outliers) ford is great at paint. they're also great at interiors. so i was willing to forego some of the tech advances for a better build quality, with great styling.

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Test drove both (and many others) with the wife. Mach-E was first choice. While the Model Y was very quick and had a minimalist design both interior and exterior, the inability to switch off one pedal driving was a non-starter. Android Auto was also a strong preference. I was impressed by Tesla dealer process and the low monthly lease options which were made available as the federal tax credit no longer applies. The Tesla's price also disqualified us from the state MOR-EV (Massachusetts) $2500 rebate. These incentives along with the Ford Option finance allowed us to get into a Mach-E from a dealer lot for about the price of a traditional new ICE vehicle.

EVready

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB GLC300, BMW M240xi, Lexus RX350
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
My 2 cents:

Took a MME Select dual motor standard range for a test drive today. All in all, a very nice car. As some pointed out, it does bounce a bit, but for me not enough to eliminate it. Seats are very comfortable, but they could use a bit more bolstering. Very quiet other than a whistle at about 30MPH (maybe unique to this car). I did test drive a MYDMLR a few months ago and found it a little harder to get used to as all the controls were in the screen. Also, I felt the Tesla's ride was a bit harsher.

Didn't have much time to play with the infotainment system, but it seemed responsive enough; I did like the dark mode during the day. The car is pretty quick, although I understand not as quick as a extended range version.

Fit and finish was very good as well; the one thing I didn't do was to determine if a set of golf clubs will fit across the trunk...ah well. :)

Thanks to @evmass for the recommendation of Veronica at Colonial Ford. She was great.....Mach E is definitely a contender.

Last edited:

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag
My 2 cents:

Took a MME Select dual motor standard range for a test drive today. All in all, a very nice car. As some pointed out, it does bounce a bit, but for me not enough to eliminate it. Seats are very comfortable, but they could use a bit more bolstering. Very quiet other than a whistle at about 30MPH (maybe unique to this car). I did test drive a MYDMLR a few months ago and found it a little harder to get used to as all the controls were in the screen. Also, I felt the Tesla's ride was a bit harsher.

Didn't have much time to play with the infotainment system, but it seemed responsive enough; I did like the dark mode during the day. The car is pretty quick, although I understand not as quick as a extended range version.

Fit and finish was very good as well; the one thing I didn't do was to determine if a set of golf clubs will fit across the trunk...ah well. :)

Thanks to @evmass for the recommendation of Veronica at Colonial Ford. She was great.....Mach E is definitely a contender.
Golf clubs will fit diagonally. With driver removed, it will fit horizontally. With 1/3 rear seat down, will fit vertically.
Can fit many sets with 1/3 rear seat folded down.
Can fit several sets with drivers removed - both diagonally and horizontally.
Note that you can fit more than just the golf clubs in these scenarios.
I am planning a trip with 3 total people; 3 sets and 3 suitcases (carry-on) and with the rear seat 1/3 folded, will have no problems at all.

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My 2 cents:

I recently purchased Select and will check golf clubs question for you. Opted for the Standard range AWD with comfort package. It is about a quick as my Jaguar XKR (maybe event quicker). My wife and I are planning a drag race. So, plenty fast.

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Golf clubs will fit diagonally. With driver removed, it will fit horizontally. With 1/3 rear seat down, will fit vertically.
I am planning a trip with 3 total people; 3 sets and 3 suitcases (carry-on) and with the rear seat 1/3 folded, will have no problems at all.
Sorry, looks like ABR alrady did a golf club test. I missed the thread. Had to move a lawn spreader last night and it fit in there with handle collapsed. Seems like plenty of room for normal tasks.

secretvampire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Dark Matter Gray MME GT
Country flag
so my recent decision was to go with the MME, after sitting in one and going on a brief test drive. the trusty ole FX is slipping in first, and needs another exhaust. with 145k on her, i'm at a value tipping point. it was the fit and finish that really sold me after looking over 3 different MMEs. generally speaking (there's always outliers) ford is great at paint. they're also great at interiors. so i was willing to forego some of the tech advances for a better build quality, with great styling.
Hahah, I just saw this and had to comment because you are my twin in a way and it made me laugh. I have a 2009 G37x with 135k miles that is absolutely falling apart and in the exact same ways. The exhaust has a hole in it and rumbles me around town, hasn't fallen off yet at least! The transmission has been slowly leaking for 9+ months now and I'm slipping from 1st-2nd, too. The cap is rusted shut, so if they were to try to take it off to put in more fluid, I'd have to replace a ton of parts. Wheel bearing going out. Total repairs would be at LEAST half of the value of the car. It's not been a great car since I bought it with 30k miles, way too many expensive repairs.

Anyway, just wanted to give you some sympathy. I have been white knuckling driving the G this entire past year and just trying to get through it. My GT is supposed to be here in about four weeks, I can't wait for the day I never see the G again. :D

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Country flag
Same with Tesla. I remember there was acceleration testing of Tesla and Porsche, and the first was giving worse results with every successive run, while Porsche kept the same acceleration run after run.
That was true before Refreshed Model S. No longer the case

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag
Actually had 4 sets of golf clubs (took one for someone who flew), 3 carry-ons, 2 computer cases, 2 backpacks, 4 sets of shoe bags and some other small stuff in the rear cargo area with the 1/3 seatback folded down. Was able to keep the privacy cover in place. 3 people and all the cargo and plenty of space! If I removed the privacy cover, I could have put more stuff in there with ease.

WFU03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium ER AWD; 2020 Chevy Bolt
Country flag
I had a Model 3 as a rental this weekend. The biggest annoyance for us was probably the door handles. That just seems like a design idea that never should have made it past the prototype stage.

Other than that, I prefer having a screen in front of me, but I could deal with the lack of one. Not surprisingly, the sports sedan (3) handles better than the crossover (Mach E). I also prefer the Model 3's seats.

The Model 3's interface is also snappier, but I'm not sure it's any better. I felt like I was in embedded menu hell half of the time.

I also had very mixed feelings about the full self driving package. When you're staying in your lane, it does a great job with lane centering and distance control. On the other hand, every lane change was an adventure. Some were pretty smooth and others were so jerky that they made my (prone to car sickness) wife tell me to turn off the FSD and just drive the car. We also had a few phantom braking experiences that were scary.

Overall, I get why it's such a popular car, but I wasn't regretting that I purchased a Mach E over its larger sibling.

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had a Model 3 as a rental this weekend. The biggest annoyance for us was probably the door handles. That just seems like a design idea that never should have made it past the prototype stage.

Other than that, I prefer having a screen in front of me, but I could deal with the lack of one. Not surprisingly, the sports sedan (3) handles better than the crossover (Mach E). I also prefer the Model 3's seats.

The Model 3's interface is also snappier, but I'm not sure it's any better. I felt like I was in embedded menu hell half of the time.

I also had very mixed feelings about the full self driving package. When you're staying in your lane, it does a great job with lane centering and distance control. On the other hand, every lane change was an adventure. Some were pretty smooth and others were so jerky that they made my (prone to car sickness) wife tell me to turn off the FSD and just drive the car. We also had a few phantom braking experiences that were scary.

Overall, I get why it's such a popular car, but I wasn't regretting that I purchased a Mach E over its larger sibling.
Interesting. Similar experience with 1 pedal driving when test driving the Y. Very jerky braking. I am told you get use to it. Tesla rep said that latest version does not let you turn 1 pedal driving off. For that reason is was a non-starter and very low on our comparison/buy list. To date, we have not turned on 1-pedal driving in the Mach-E.

WFU03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium ER AWD; 2020 Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Interesting. Similar experience with 1 pedal driving when test driving the Y. Very jerky braking. I am told you get use to it. Tesla rep said that latest version does not let you turn 1 pedal driving off. For that reason is was a non-starter and very low on our comparison/buy list. To date, we have not turned on 1-pedal driving in the Mach-E.
That's funny. I only drive with 1-pedal driving turned on in our Mach-E.

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It may be more about having the option vs. which style you prefer. The platform allows for much flexibility, it would be nice for the consumer to be able to decide which is best. The Tesla rep said it was locked on 1-pedal drive specifically to meet advertised range. Sounds more like a technology decision vs. a user one. Just want to be able to have a choice.

Joetz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach e and Tesla model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I might consider turning off one-pedal, but the MME has a really weird feeling brake pedal because of the blended braking. It kind of forces you into using the one pedal so you don't have to touch that nasty feeling brake pedal
Sponsored