Thoughts on a dealer demo

buckeye44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge Ford Fusion
Country flag
Hi all, we have the opportunity to purchase a demo Mach E. Wanted to ask you all thoughts about it. It will have 4000 miles on it at the time of purchase. Only $1200 discount for it being a service vehicle. Would you guys and gals be wary of purchasing it? My couple concerns are 4000 miles seems like a bit too much for me to want it, how do I know how the thing was treated on test drives, Iā€™m guessing it was drove pretty hard, how high was the dealership charging it? Was it to 100% charge a lot? Was it constantly run down to a very low charge? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you
Sponsored

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
Hi all, we have the opportunity to purchase a demo Mach E. Wanted to ask you all thoughts about it. It will have 4000 miles on it at the time of purchase. Only $1200 discount for it being a service vehicle. Would you guys and gals be wary of purchasing it? My couple concerns are 4000 miles seems like a bit too much for me to want it, how do I know how the thing was treated on test drives, Iā€™m guessing it was drove pretty hard, how high was the dealership charging it? Was it to 100% charge a lot? Was it constantly run down to a very low charge? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you
Personally, I would not do it. Mostly everyone driving it is going to try to put it to the test, especially as the salesperson won't be with them.

Too much unknown.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I thought about it for a minute. Maybe less. If you put 4000 miles on a car, how much discount would you expect to sell it for? It isnā€™t even fair how little they offer to take off what has been treated as a rental vehicle. For the extra $1200 and some effort, a true new one can be found.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I would have no concerns with buying a demo assuming there wasn't any visible wear and tear.
They would have to discount the car at least $2240 though. That is what the IRS says wear and tear is for 4000 miles on an average vehicle. You could even make the case the MME is above average so $3000 discount might be more appropriate.

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier EV, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV
Occupation
Electrical product safety engineer
Country flag
I agree the discount should be closer to $2500 and that is to break even. Needs to be a deeper discount to count as a great deal.

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
Make sure it will still qualifies for the $7.5K federal incentive. Otherwise the discount needs to be much, much more than $1200.

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
I drove a demo the other day. I didn't bounce it off curbs, or spin donuts in the back, not sure it can't actually do that in the sense of a mustang, but I guarantee you someone has, or will.

Also, these things are gonna depreciate, probably pretty hard. I'd buy new or get a bigger discount.

OP
OP

buckeye44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge Ford Fusion
Country flag
I drove a demo the other day. I didn't bounce it off curbs, or spin donuts in the back, not sure it can't actually do that in the sense of a mustang, but I guarantee you someone has, or will.

Also, these things are gonna depreciate, probably pretty hard. I'd buy new or get a bigger discount.
First off, thanks to all for the responses. Yeah, the depreciation scares me a lot. I did read today that the ā€œinfrastructure ā€œ bill proposed there could be a $1250 tax credit to those who buy a used EV. I hope that if that becomes policy it will help a little bit with the depreciation.

gnaark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
When I test drove the car we always had the dealer with us in it (I tested two).
I doubt it was abused, I know we always tend to see the bad in people but itā€™s also not in the dealers interest to stiff you on a bad car especially since itā€™s so new and Ford is paying attention.

If itā€™s in perfect shape, why not, you can always negotiate the price.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Verify that you will be able to take the $7500 tax credit and that it can be titled as new.

Assume that the battery was charged to 100% since unless it was programed to be less at the dealer's location, that's how high it will charge.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
You can look at the energy consumption in the Trip Computer app on the center display and check out the history. There's a decent chance it hasn't been reset, so it can tell you something about how hard the car's been driven. Oh, and I totally agree with others who say that you should make sure it will be titled as new, qualifies for *all* tax/energy incentive that would be available to a new EV purchase, and the discount should be more substantial than $1200.

By the way, what model and color is it? In theory it should impact the discount that you get (at least the trim level - e.g., a GTPE should have a much larger discount than a Select).

Good luck! If you decide to buy it, please post photos!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Thread is a year old...

Mark IV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus, Escape, 289 Cobra, GT40, Caterham, Excursion
Occupation
Specialty Car Dealer
Country flag
Possibly not a "demo" but a "FCTP" car. That is the "Ford Courtesy Transportation Program" vehicle. The FCTP cars are registered by the dealer, they are not on a dealer plate. Ford provides a rebate to the dealer for placing the vehicle in the program. Our dealership had one, they must be in service for 90 days to collect the rebate.
Sponsored