Thoughts on Auto steer after trying the Tesla Model Y

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
Today I was renting a Y on a work trip. First time spending a large amount of time with it and I have some thoughts on the auto steer system. some good. Some bad. Overall though, I was surprised to find that general performance of the system is very similar to Mach E. It gets talked up so much that I expected it to be way better. And it wasn't 🤷‍♂️. Very much on par.

Positives:
+ Handles driving directly into the sun WAY better than Mach E
+ The on screen visualization of what's going on around you is unparalleled. Really great software

Negatives:
-It does not handle manual take overs gracefully at all.. I found it to be quite violent, actually. They say just pull on the steering wheel to disengage. But what I found was that auto steer holds on quite hard. So you have to use a lot of force. So much so that when it finally lets go, it sends you flying across the road.
-More than I couple times I forgot that you have to re-engage the system after every lane change. Very handy that Mach E resumes

Also as a side note, the infotainment screen performs leaps and bounds better than Mach E, but the new Tesla interface is REALLY confusing
Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Today I was renting a Y on a work trip. First time spending a large amount of time with it and I have some thoughts on the auto steer system. some good. Some bad. Overall though, I was surprised to find that general performance of the system is very similar to Mach E. It gets talked up so much that I expected it to be way better. And it wasn't 🤷‍♂️. Very much on par.

Positives:
+ Handles driving directly into the sun WAY better than Mach E
+ The on screen visualization of what's going on around you is unparalleled. Really great software

Negatives:
-It does not handle manual take overs gracefully at all.. I found it to be quite violent, actually. They say just pull on the steering wheel to disengage. But what I found was that auto steer holds on quite hard. So you have to use a lot of force. So much so that when it finally lets go, it sends you flying across the road.
-More than I couple times I forgot that you have to re-engage the system after every lane change. Very handy that Mach E resumes

Also as a side note, the infotainment screen performs leaps and bounds better than Mach E, but the new Tesla interface is REALLY confusing
Yeah the manual takeovers is why Tesla got beat by the MME in Consumer Reports with BlueCruise

Buzz

First Name
Lamonte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Select, AWD, Comfort/Tech, Star White
Occupation
Studying Environmental Chemistry
Country flag
Yeah, they’ve both got their pros and cons. But, at the end of the day, I’m still super happy I went with the Mach E.

I like that Blue Cruise is hands free. Having to touch the wheel every few seconds in the Tesla is a bit annoying. Most of my 85 mile commute is on the interstate, so the hands free feature is really nice. On non-BlueCruise roads, the auto drive function seems very similar to the Tesla to me.

Totally agree, screen visualization is FAR superior, and lane change is so bad on the Tesla! It’s so violent when it comes out. I didn’t notice much of a difference driving into the sun, but didn’t really do too much early or late day driving either.

Something else the Tesla had going for it was battery efficiency. Seemed to get a marginally better m/kWh.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
But no Android Auto. That's a show stopper for me.

txaggies07

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE FE Rapid Red
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yep, crossed it off my list because no CarPlay. You can't have a great infotainment system if you don't let me use CarPlay or AndroidAuto.

OP
OP
mpshizzle

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
I only had it for a day so I can't really speak to the day to day implications of that, but in the short time I had it that was not as big of a deal as I thought it was going to be ... Since it uses Google maps underneath its navigation system, and it has Spotify Built in.

Even though it wasn't as big of a deal as I thought I still did miss it though

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
I only had it for a day so I can't really speak to the day to day implications of that, but in the short time I had it that was not as big of a deal as I thought it was going to be ... Since it uses Google maps underneath its navigation system, and it has Spotify Built in.

Even though it wasn't as big of a deal as I thought I still did miss it though
I'm deeply imbedded with Android Auto. I use it with SmartThings for home automation, YouTube Music where all my playlists reside, BeyondPod for podcasts, and of course, Google Home for search and home automation, etc. I'm not going to start from ground zero.
Sponsored