Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Good to hear. I hope they start with Gainesville.
Gainesville has chargers at least.

Theres no weekend accessible non-Tesla DC charging along the Ocala/Villages/Leesburg corridor. It’s a desert in what is a fairly wealthy area. So many billionaires with horse farms and large homes next to lakes. It is Lake County after all.

I traded my MME Standard Range last fall because I was unable to go from home to an Ocala flying field and back (180+ miles with 160+ miles at 75-80mph) without making a side detour of 15-20 miles to DC charge or driving at 70mph or less on I-75 which is suicidal. A year later it’s the same problem…. So it’s Extended Range or bust.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Oh, ok. That's an interesting take on the connector-to-station power requirement.
Yeah. It was a little confusing at the same time. We might not have been talking about the same thing at times. It sounded like the new dispensers will be installed in tandem so one can supply 350kW but if two are in use then at least 150 kW each. Reminds me of how L2 power share works.

@Mach-E VLOG interviewed someone from Electrify America so I will be interested to watch that and see if any more details were discussed.

Should be interesting....

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yeah. It was a little confusing at the same time. We might not have been talking about the same thing at times. It sounded like the new dispensers will be installed in tandem so one can supply 350kW but if two are in use then at least 150 kW each. Reminds me of how L2 power share works.

@Mach-E VLOG interviewed someone from Electrify America so I will be interested to watch that and see if any more details were discussed.

Should be interesting....
They have stated that some of the interstate sites will not have power sharing, so that 350kw will be available on all of them. For the local urban sites in Phoenix they are just putting in 150kw units, so no step backwards for those. But with all the newer trucks and 800v systems being delivered, we need all rural chargers to support 350kw.

PilotMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Moke, FRS, Prius, FJR, 1966 Shelby Mustang
Country flag
Tried DC fast charge for the first time over the weekend. The fastest closet chargers I could find with EVGO at a WAWA station.
They have two chargers. One was being used. I could not get the second one to work. It finally said it was offline.
The cable on that one was too short. I had to back partly into the space behind the charger to get the cord to fit. And it didn't work.

Finally got to the working charger. I didn't need to charge just wanted to try it before I did a trip and needed it.

The placement of this charger allowed a normal parking and connecting to the charge port.
All worked pretty much as expected.

I used cc to activate, started and went to WAWA.

I charged for just 10 minutes and got a 12% charge at a cost of $5.69 (premium extended range)
Ford app shows it at 150kw. I only saw 47kw.

This is a lot more expensive than charging at home, but glad they are here.
At home that would cost $0.11/KW or about $1.25

These are new in the last 6 months.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Gainesville has chargers at least.

Theres no weekend accessible non-Tesla DC charging along the Ocala/Villages/Leesburg corridor. It’s a desert in what is a fairly wealthy area. So many billionaires with horse farms and large homes next to lakes. It is Lake County after all.

I traded my MME Standard Range last fall because I was unable to go from home to an Ocala flying field and back (180+ miles with 160+ miles at 75-80mph) without making a side detour of 15-20 miles to DC charge or driving at 70mph or less on I-75 which is suicidal. A year later it’s the same problem…. So it’s Extended Range or bust.
Bushnell? That's not too far out of the way. As someone who grew up in Lake and Sumter County I'll tell you there probably isn't an appetite for the librul electric charging stations as much as we would like unfortunately.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Bushnell? That's not too far out of the way. As someone who grew up in Lake and Sumter County I'll tell you there probably isn't an appetite for the librul electric charging stations as much as we would like unfortunately.
That’s the wrong direction for me. That’s a 16 mile detour from the I-75 / turnpike split and I’d have to drive 16 miles back… so that’s definitely an extra hour side trip to charge. I might as well drive to Turkey Lake plaza even though that’s deep into Orlando and also a 30-45 minute detour.

With an Extended Range the round trip is a non issue. The entire trip would be a non issue if there was ANY charging near my destination in Ocala.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
That’s the wrong direction for me. That’s a 16 mile detour from the I-75 / turnpike split and I’d have to drive 16 miles back… so that’s definitely an extra hour side trip to charge. I might as well drive to Turkey Lake plaza even though that’s deep into Orlando and also a 30-45 minute detour.

With an Extended Range the round trip is a non issue. The entire trip would be a non issue if there was ANY charging near my destination in Ocala.
The fact nothing is in The Villages speaks a lot about what they think about that area and the need for it.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
They have stated that some of the interstate sites will not have power sharing, so that 350kw will be available on all of them. For the local urban sites in Phoenix they are just putting in 150kw units, so no step backwards for those. But with all the newer trucks and 800v systems being delivered, we need all rural chargers to support 350kw.
Makes sense. 👍

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
Returning from a big road trip, I used the "Next-Generation" Electrify America charger in Chicopee, MA yesterday. It is just off the highway so the location is pretty good. It appears the station went online the day before I used it. I noticed the EA techs were using Teamviewer to access a couple of the chargers.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Through the end of the year, Electrify America will be replacing 300+ early-generation chargers with its next-generation chargers NewChicopeeCharger

Highest peak charge rate yet (162kWH) and I also like the new pavement markings indicating the charger kWH capability.
Sponsored