jericho

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
c8, Red '21 FE Mach E (traded), '23 Red GT
Country flag
Was on a trip and did not drive the car for a week. Started her up and drove off and there is a loud thumping from the back of the car. Drive faster, thump faster… but it went away after a while… when the sound went away, I noticed that hard braking would bring back similar but faster thumping… again goes away after a while.

I think I should bring it in for service, but I’m not sure how to reproduce the issue consistently, do you guys think it’s the brake regen or the drum brakes seizing up?? Advice would be most appreciated!!
Sponsored

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Tires can develop flat spots. Cars in storage should be moved a foot or two once in a while.

My best guess.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Was on a trip and did not drive the car for a week. Started her up and drove off and there is a loud thumping from the back of the car. Drive faster, thump faster… but it went away after a while… when the sound went away, I noticed that hard braking would bring back similar but faster thumping… again goes away after a while.

I think I should bring it in for service, but I’m not sure how to reproduce the issue consistently, do you guys think it’s the brake regen or the drum brakes seizing up?? Advice would be most appreciated!!
Take a look at this thread:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...g-sound-and-ford-roadside-on-speed-dial.4730/

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
Tires can develop flat spots. Cars in storage should be moved a foot or two once in a while.

My best guess.
A week does not qualify as storage. Virtually impossible for a modern radial tire to flat spot that quickly.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
do you guys think it’s the brake regen or the drum brakes seizing up?? Advice would be most appreciated!!
Brake regen wouldn't make a noise and the MME doesn't have drum brakes. It could be some rust buildup on the rotors from sitting. If that's the case, some hard braking to ensure the friction brakes are engaged should clear it off. If that doesn't work, I'd make an appointment to have the dealer check it out.

JBA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RWD SR
Country flag
Brake regen wouldn't make a noise and the MME doesn't have drum brakes. It could be some rust buildup on the rotors from sitting. If that's the case, some hard braking to ensure the friction brakes are engaged should clear it off. If that doesn't work, I'd make an appointment to have the dealer check it out.
99% sure this is it.

OP
OP
jericho

jericho

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
c8, Red '21 FE Mach E (traded), '23 Red GT
Country flag
Thanks, but disc brakes causing thumping is weird! I’ve only heard/experienced grinding with stuck disc brakes … have to drive it more to figure out what is going on