Time of day charge settings ... plus general comment.

lweisenthal

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
weisenthalcancer.com
Vehicles
MME Premium; RWD; std range; Chevy Volt 2.0
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Have had the car 7 days. 3 different 130 mile round trips ... one in very challenging weather conditions (driving rain; high winds; terrible visibility; crowded roads - described in an earlier post).

So as not to bury the lede ... flawless. Exceeded all (initially high) expectations. No complaints. Zero. Blown away by Co-Pilot 360, in which I gain ever greater confidence, as the two of us learn to work as a team.

What I thought were flaws/glitches have all turned out to be simply my ignorance in how things worked.

Lane centering tried to guide me over the highway median. This was because (1) lane centering only works when adaptive cruise control is activated. (2) lane centering gets turned off when a turn signal is activated. Empirically, lane centering and adaptive cruise works best when the native navigation app is running, though I’m not 100% sure of this. (3) Co-pilot 360 functions do seem to work best on freeways compared to surface streets, though adaptive cruise is awesome on both.

System has possibly saved me from a rear ender. I was exiting 405 South onto Jamboree, while trying to figure out how to adjust side mirrors. I kept pressing the wrong button, basically. All of a sudden, car came to crashing halt, with red warning on center dash illuminated. Car had automatically braked as I approached stationary car ahead at too great a rate of speed.

Bad on me. Good on car.

Here’s latest. Car refused to “honor” my time of day charge settings. Selected 90% of maximum charge, to take place between 10PM and 8 AM, when Southern California Edison charges me only 13 cents per hour. But car insisted on starting earlier and ending later. I finally figured out that this was because my home charge system wouldn’t complete the charge to 90% within the prescribed period. When I reduced total charge percentage to 60, the car agreed to honor my 10 PM to 8 AM window. So I’ll charge to 60% tonight; I’ll bring it up to 90% the next night.

BTW, I’m blowing away the range estimates. I’ll report on this with actual data later on.

Great car. As noted, exceeding pre existing high expectations. No buyer’s remorse whatsoever.

Larry Weisenthal/Huntington Beach
Sponsored

Last edited: