jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Actually, the Cybertruck doesn't come in any version. Maybe it will some day.
Lol, true... but seriously it should be in customers hands before the F-150 by 6 months assuming Tesla doesn't make their original release date but only slips a couple of quarters.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Yep. And even 300 unloaded is gonna be tough. Takes 88 kWh (usable) in the MME, RWD only, and lower/sleeker body style to get that. In a taller/boxier truck, that's gonna have a LOT more drag. 150 kWh battery, maybe? 180? (In the longest-range trim.)

It's probably gonna fall somewhere between the Mach-E (300 miles RWD on 88 kWh) and the eTransit (126 miles 66 kWh).

Be really curious to see the specs on this thing next week. Unless they've found some new magic, I have a feeling a lot of people are expecting too much from the range/payload combos.
Good points....

I would think there would be plenty of room for a really big battery in the F150 form factor. The question is how big does it need to be to offset that drag??? And a big battery means big $$$.

It may be more disappointing to see the cost with a huge battery than the range/payload ratio?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Good points....

I would think there would be plenty of room for a really big battery in the F150 form factor. The question is how big does it need to be to offset that drag??? And a big battery means big $$$.

It may be more disappointing to see the cost with a huge battery than the range/payload ratio?
Yep. They'll probably offer multiple trims (like a 100 kWh battery and a 160?) so they can claim some victory on each end of the scale (cost and capability). Like they do with the Mach-E. ("Starting at $42,995" and "300 miles" in the same breath, even though they're on totally different trims).

Nothing wrong with that, of course. It's how the game is played. But those wanting range AND payload (and AWD) better be ready to fork over some serious $$$. That much battery can't come cheap.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yep. Rivian too. Lots of anticipation, but what really gets delivered is yet to be seen.
Yes but Rivian is getting close.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yep. They'll probably offer multiple trims (like a 100 kWh battery and a 160?) so they can claim some victory on each end of the scale (cost and capability). Like they do with the Mach-E. ("Starting at $42,995" and "300 miles" in the same breath, even though they're on totally different trims).

Nothing wrong with that, of course. It's how the game is played. But those wanting range AND payload (and AWD) better be ready to fork over some serious $$$. That much battery can't come cheap.
That's what Rivian is doing: 105, 135, and 180 kWh versions:
"Rivian plans to start R1T deliveries in June, beginning with Launch Edition models priced from $75,000. The Launch Edition gets what Rivian calls the "Large pack"—assumed to be 135 kilowatt-hours—allowing for 300 miles of range. The largest 180-kwh pack—which Rivian calls the "Max pack" adds 100 miles of range for an extra $10,000, and is expected to become available in January, followed by a smaller 105-kwh pack. Rivian uses battery cells from Samsung SDI."

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ut-towing-gear-tunnel-app-controlled-tailgate

Mach Daddy

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Land Rover Discovery, F-150 Lightnin
Country flag
It would be great if the 120V/240V plugs available in the hybrid F-150 and I assume the Lightning ⚡ make it into future Mach-Es as an option or included. Glampers, outdoorsy people, tailgaters, and DYI'ers who don't need an F-150 would love it.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag

Batteries are north of $100/kWh. It's partly why the Rivian is $$$$.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And if I understand it right, that's just the wholesale cost. In the case of the Mach-E, the retail price to customers ended up being $250/kWh to jump 20 kWh from the SR to ER battery. Although I presume a lot of that was simply supply/demand pricing (i.e. more customers wanting the ER, thus that upgrade netted a higher premium relative to the first 68 kWh (usable) in the pack).

BK2EV

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MachE AWD Premium ER, 2015 Challenger Hellcat
Country flag
As a Gen 1 and Gen 2 lightning owner..........WooHoo!! ...... a G3 Lightning.... gulp......... or is it????.... Hard to beat that supercharged 5.4 sound (especially pullied and tuned). However, performance should certainly be there.

balthisar

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Expedition; 2021 Mach E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
Engineer@FoMoCo
Country flag
And if I understand it right, that's just the wholesale cost. In the case of the Mach-E, the retail price to customers ended up being $250/kWh to jump 20 kWh from the SR to ER battery. Although I presume a lot of that was simply supply/demand pricing (i.e. more customers wanting the ER, thus that upgrade netted a higher premium relative to the first 68 kWh (usable) in the pack).
I can't go into specifics, but before the CX727 was named "Mustang," we were looking at our own Ford costs being at more than the figure quoted for the upgrade, but for the entire battery pack. This probably had a lot to do with making this a "Mustang" rather than a compliance vehicle, and of course, those costs are out of date. I'm only mentioning it because it's interesting to think about how costs change, and affect things. I hate to be vague, but I enjoy my job. ;-)

I just want to work in the building where they are going to build the BEV F-150.
Define "build"; there are a lot of buildings, and they all kind of just feed into the same final assembly line. If you're ever in Dearborn, though, I highly suspect that the "Rouge Tour" (Google it; it's affiliated with "The Henry Ford") will include this. It's going to be of peak interest.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I'm hoping the Ford batteries will be considerably cheaper than Rivian's!

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Define "build"; there are a lot of buildings, and they all kind of just feed into the same final assembly line. If you're ever in Dearborn, though, I highly suspect that the "Rouge Tour" (Google it; it's affiliated with "The Henry Ford") will include this. It's going to be of peak interest.
I work for Ford, at the Rouge Complex. The building I’m referring to is the one where they will be assembling the Lightning.
Sponsored

Last edited: