DrAchoo

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Rapid Red RWD, St. Batt Mach E
Country flag
I've had my Premium for about two weeks now and when I attempt to close the charge port door I am successful maybe 50% of the time. I've tried to push harder. I've tried to hold. Nothing seems to reliably work and it just comes down to doing it twice or even three times.

Do others have similar problems? Is there an idea of what is going on and whether there is a DIY fix for it? Seems like I wouldn't get too far if I bring it up with the dealer, but maybe that's actually something that would be addressed?
Sponsored

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
Sounds like a fitment issue. Don't DIY a potential fix on a brand new car. Scoot to the dealer.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I had the issue with my early built FE, and the GT is the same way. So they haven't made any changes.

I've found I have the most success if you push in right in the spot where the pin goes into the car. Anywhere else it doesn't always latch in fully.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Same issue here. What works best on my car is to push SLOWLY, but firmly. Seems the faster my attempt, the less likely it stays shut.
I had the issue with my early built FE, and the GT is the same way. So they haven't made any changes.

I've found I have the most success if you push in right in the spot where the pin goes into the car. Anywhere else it doesn't always latch in fully.
Yup. Put these two things together. Push where the pin is, push firmly and not quickly, and that seems to be the trick. If these techniques aren't working, then it might need a fix.

IMDIDOC

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 1970 Z-28 RS Original Owner
Occupation
Optometrist
Country flag
I also had difficulty in finding the "sweet spot" to open and close the charge port door. What I found was if you make a fist with thumb up and push on the opening edge of the door, it works reliably. I guess that covers all the pressure points.

Bueller

First Name
Bueller
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT
Occupation
Public Affairs
Country flag
I've had my Premium for about two weeks now and when I attempt to close the charge port door I am successful maybe 50% of the time. I've tried to push harder. I've tried to hold. Nothing seems to reliably work and it just comes down to doing it twice or even three times.

Do others have similar problems? Is there an idea of what is going on and whether there is a DIY fix for it? Seems like I wouldn't get too far if I bring it up with the dealer, but maybe that's actually something that would be addressed?
Seems odd, but Iā€™ve found it works to open and close if using my right hand but not if using my left hand. Itā€™s really sensitive.

juggler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Select
Country flag
I brought mine into the dealer to have them look at itā€¦ mine would occasionally pop open half way through my commuteā€¦ seemed to occur on windy daysā€¦ the latch was in the locked position when I got to work so I knew it wasnā€™t user errorā€¦ dealer canā€™t replicate the issue so I guess Iā€™m SOLā€¦ but they said if enough people complain about the door issues then maybe Ford would introduce a fixā€¦ so if you have an issue maybe let them know :)

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
šŸ”‘ ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ šŸ‘€
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I also had difficulty in finding the "sweet spot" to open and close the charge port door. What I found was if you make a fist with thumb up and push on the opening edge of the door, it works reliably. I guess that covers all the pressure points.
Please be mindful of your language. @GoGoGadgetMachE reads these posts. "Sweet spot" and talk of hand manipulations (I won't dare repeat your specifics) are triggers for him.

?

ValentinoRossi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach-e Premium AWD ER (10/21 build)
Country flag
We had ice storm last night and although i can see no ice, and the door fully closes and seems fine, it wont lock/latch. I cant drive with it sticking open so what am i supposed to do?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
We had ice storm last night and although i can see no ice, and the door fully closes and seems fine, it wont lock/latch. I cant drive with it sticking open so what am i supposed to do?
1) Spray with silicone.

or

2) Tape shut

or

3) Have it towed to the dealer.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Why canā€™t you drive with it open? I know itā€™s not ideal, but itā€˜s better than having to get it towed.

ValentinoRossi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach-e Premium AWD ER (10/21 build)
Country flag
Why canā€™t you drive with it open? I know itā€™s not ideal, but itā€˜s better than having to get it towed.
I eventually got it to close. I used lock deicer and then I used a dupont snow lubricant which i think is some kind of a silicone spray. Only problem was, when I got home, I had a bitch of a time getting it opened.

I didnt want to tape it because i didnt want to risk leaving behind any tape gunk on my clear coat and i wasnt sure if it would even stick.

OP
OP

DrAchoo

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Rapid Red RWD, St. Batt Mach E
Country flag
I had been meaning to come back to this thread as I continue to have issues with the door closing easily. Even after three months I'd say I am successful with getting it to close on first try less than 50% of the time.

The question in my mind is whether to pursue a fix. If the problem is with the port door, then replacing it probably isn't a big deal. BUT, if the problem is with the receptacle for the door pin, I'd assume replacing that part is going to require some disassembly etc and I'm not sure it's worth the risk that something else gets damaged.

Does anybody know exactly how the open/close mechanism actually works?
Sponsored