Tips & Tricks: Frunk Tub and Panel Disassembly.

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
I am getting ready to do the 12v battery access plugs at the Frunk. I was hoping those that have done it could share some tips before I tackle the job. I am worried about breaking or losing panel clips and fasteners. Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
MachEMaster

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
Do you pull straight out on the panels to release the clips? How do you make sure you don’t break clips off?

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Do you pull straight out on the panels to release the clips? How do you make sure you don’t break clips off?
Yes, straight out. You want to kind of run your hand along the edge of the panel to try and find the location of where a clip is so you pull at the clip spot. You just need to do the top and driver side panels. The clips are bit resilient to breaking, the biggest concern is them sliding off the panel into the abyss of your front end when you pull them off. You can lose a few and still be fine. I believe someone made a YouTube video about it, you can watch that so you know the locations of the clips.

Also, when doing the hole saw for battery access, make sure you do it from the backside of the trim piece, not the top, if you mess up before punching through, it won’t be visible. And when you get it right, it is a way cleaner look.

PA Bob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium RWD SB
Country flag
Yes, straight out. You want to kind of run your hand along the edge of the panel to try and find the location of where a clip is so you pull at the clip spot. You just need to do the top and driver side panels. The clips are bit resilient to breaking, the biggest concern is them sliding off the panel into the abyss of your front end when you pull them off. You can lose a few and still be fine. I believe someone made a YouTube video about it, you can watch that so you know the locations of the clips.

Also, when doing the hole saw for battery access, make sure you do it from the backside of the trim piece, not the top, if you mess up before punching through, it won’t be visible. And when you get it right, it is a way cleaner look.
I had a couple clips slide off. I found all but one so I bought a pack of them for future use. Make sure the higher hole is below. that support bar below or you'll hit the bar.
Sponsored