Pitts2112

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E SR, RWD
Country flag
I'm considering changing tires on my RWD Premium from the original Michelin Primacy set to Michelin Cross-Climate 2 on the premise that they may handle snow and ice better in the winter. I only say the Cross-Climate because it was recommended to me by my local tire shop.

The Primacy's don't seem to handle the rear wheel torque very well in even mildly wet conditions, so I'm concerned that they'll be worse in the moderate snow/ice/slush we get in Massachusetts. My wife, especially, doesn't have any experience in RWD and very little in snow, so I want a safer tire without breaking the bank.

The Primacy has a better traction rating than the Cross-climate, AA for Primacy, B for C-C, so I don't think it's necessarily a better tire.

I started looking for straight winter tires, but there don't seem to be many options for the 225/55R19 size

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Primacy info: https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/michelin-primacy-mxm4
Cross-Climate info: https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/michelin-crossclimate2
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
My advice would be:

1) Set the vehicle to Whisper mode.
2) Turn off 1-Pedal.
3) Don't push the "L".
4) Take your wife to a snow-covered large parking lot without curbs on the spaces, and let her practice stopping, starting, turning, etc.

IMO, with over 40 years of driving in winter conditions, the vast majority of people aren't going to find any improvement that they can notice by switching to a different tire in moderate (i.e. not a foot deep) snow conditions. The challenge in driving a vehicle like the Mach-E is the torque, and the only solution is to practice, practice, and practice.

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
I'm considering changing tires on my RWD Premium from the original Michelin Primacy set to Michelin Cross-Climate 2 on the premise that they may handle snow and ice better in the winter. I only say the Cross-Climate because it was recommended to me by my local tire shop.

The Primacy's don't seem to handle the rear wheel torque very well in even mildly wet conditions, so I'm concerned that they'll be worse in the moderate snow/ice/slush we get in Massachusetts. My wife, especially, doesn't have any experience in RWD and very little in snow, so I want a safer tire without breaking the bank.

The Primacy has a better traction rating than the Cross-climate, AA for Primacy, B for C-C, so I don't think it's necessarily a better tire.

I started looking for straight winter tires, but there don't seem to be many options for the 225/55R19 size

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Primacy info: https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/michelin-primacy-mxm4
Cross-Climate info: https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/michelin-crossclimate2
I have changed to crossclimate and overall grip is improved, even in just wet conditions. I noticed a slight improvement in the rear suspension, the bouncyness seems less.:)

OP
OP

Pitts2112

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E SR, RWD
Country flag
I have changed to crossclimate and overall grip is improved, even in just wet conditions. I noticed a slight improvement in the rear suspension, the bouncyness seems less.:)
Improving the bounciness would be nice. The ride's so stiff, especially in the back seat, that it'll rattle your fillings loose.

Reactions: Nav

KDub

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E CA Route 1
Country flag
There is likely another thread on this but could you go with a slightly wider tire as well to improve the ride?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Improving the bounciness would be nice. The ride's so stiff, especially in the back seat, that it'll rattle your fillings loose.
Check your tire pressure and compare to door jamb sticker. And remember that as it gets colder, you'll need to add air to have the proper cold inflation pressure. Then, if the weather goes from 25 to 60 for a day, that day's ride will be very unforgiving as the tires will be overinflated (but fine for a day), and then it will revert back when the temperature drops.

Mach-e4x

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-e 4x, 2016 Mazda CX5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I couldn't find many choices when I shopped for 19" snow tires so I went to tire rack and bought 18" rims and good snow tires then had a local tire shop install them for me.
The ride is better, not as bouncy and quieter.

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Interactive Design Director
Country flag
Also, the MME is a heavy car, so it would be a good idea to make sure the load rating is sufficient with any tire you choose :)

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Many RWD ICE vehicles are front-heavy, removing weight from the drive axle, and making it more difficult to get traction. The Mach-E is pretty much 50/50, so the drive axle should not be unweighted.

Ducan07

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1996 Toyota Chaser
Occupation
Ballet master
Country flag
We’ll be looking at a Michelin CrossClimate 2 vs Primacy MXM4 face-off and determining the better choice between the two. And right off the bat, the Michelin CrossClimate 2 is our winner. CrossClimate2 possesses enhanced snow traction with a 3PMSF certification due to its steps found on the tire block and P-edge technology. Because of these features, the CrossClimate 2 can also be a viable winter tire alternative.

Last edited:

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
There are several loooong threads about the bounciness. I had it as well in my AWD Mach E. It can be greatly reduced by installing better front and rear sway bars made by Steeda. There's a good thread hereabouts on it. The bounciness can be flat eliminated, and you can actually gain a much better suspension, by installing KW v3 coilovers all around - this mod is a bit $alty, and also covered in a separate thread. I did one, then the other. Several thousand miles later, I recommend both of these mods for all-around long-term livability with this car.
Sponsored