TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
I've got 45000+ on my 2021 Premium AWD and should start thinking about tires. 1 is starting to lose air which may be entirely due to the cold but I'm preparing for replacement anyway.

I have no complaints about the stock Michelins but was wondering if there is something better out there now. I don't drive it like I stole it so don't necessarily need "stickier". I'm happy with the wear on the stock tires so maybe I should just stick with those 🤷‍♂️

Thoughts?
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Ford did an excellent job selecting the tire for these cars. I don't believe there was a better choice at the time. However, EV tire tech is evolving. The Hancook EV tire might also be a good choice. If I was replacing tires right now then I would research those.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
They claim same tread life and offer a 30 day trial. (Not sure how that works though...)
The foam inner liner is an interesting idea...

Screenshot_20221225-083816_Chrome.jpg

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
Range was not so much an issue for me as the ride of the car. I therefore avoided the poor selection of EV tires this time around and went with the Conti extreme contact tires in a little wider tire on the stock premium wheels. The ride is night and day difference though you will lose about 7% of your range. There are several threads on this tire if you are interested in other opinions.

OP
OP

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Range was not so much an issue for me as the ride of the car. I therefore avoided the poor selection of EV tires this time around and went with the Conti extreme contact tires in a little wider tire on the stock premium wheels. The ride is night and day difference though you will lose about 7% of your range. There are several threads on this tire if you are interested in other opinions.

Range is important to me since I do travel a lot. Thanks

OP
OP

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
They claim same tread life and offer a 30 day trial. (Not sure how that works though...)
The foam inner liner is an interesting idea...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tire Recommendation: Stock or something better out there Screenshot_20221225-083816_Chrome
I know things in the EV world are evolving at a break neck pace. Thanks for the video, it was very interesting. I'll check these out

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I know things in the EV world are evolving at a break neck pace. Thanks for the video, it was very interesting. I'll check these out
Agree. Of particular interest is how the contact patch is larger and flatter than a normal tire which explains why I really didn't need to rotate my tires (they lasted an easy 50k miles).

The average person might think they need wider tires than stock but they don't understand the contact patch coupled with the extra weight of the car actually creates more traction than same size traditional tire. You give up a lot of benefits when running standard type vs an EV tire so I am glad to see the tire manufacturers are making more options available for us.

OP
OP

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Agree. Of particular interest is how the contact patch is larger and flatter than a normal tire which explains why I really didn't need to rotate my tires (they lasted an easy 50k miles).

The average person might think they need wider tires than stock but they don't understand the contact patch coupled with the extra weight of the car actually creates more traction than same size traditional tire. You give up a lot of benefits when running standard type vs an EV tire so I am glad to see the tire manufacturers are making more options available for us.
Exactly. I've no desire to put a standard tire on at the expense of range and longevity.

Hopefully my "low air tire" is just cold weather and I have a bit more time before I am required to get new tires. Tread looks fine and I rotate frequently so fingers crossed I can get to the 50k mark 🤞

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Range is important to me since I do travel a lot. Thanks
Yeah. Choosing an EV specific tire will maintain your expected range and also perform better with respect to regenerative braking (especially while turning), ride control and road noise. In wet weather, they have MUCH less energy losses compared to a non EV tire.

At least, this is what the literature wants us to believe anyway. I was very impressed with the Michelin tires on my car so I replaced them with the exact same spec.

Reactions: TRP

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Exactly. I've no desire to put a standard tire on at the expense of range and longevity.

Hopefully my "low air tire" is just cold weather and I have a bit more time before I am required to get new tires. Tread looks fine and I rotate frequently so fingers crossed I can get to the 50k mark 🤞
I had that exact same issue. Around 45k miles, I had one tire that would lose about half lb per day. No puncture or leaks that I could find. I even removed and tanked it but still no leaks. I think it was the valve stem. New set at 50k and all has been good since then. (Have almost 60k on the car now....)
Sponsored

Reactions: TRP