Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Flex Limited
Occupation
Retired Navy
Country flag
This article provides what seems to be a really good explanation on why tires may wear faster for an EV: http://www.takechargeandgo.com/2015/08/02/tires-the-achilles-heel-of-the-electric-vehicle/
Good article! Thanks for sharing.

One item that caught my eye. NO SPARE TIRE. Hmmm... not sure that I approve of that. But to be honest, out of all the car's I have had, I only once needed the spare tire and that, in the words of Obi Wan Kenobi, was a long long time ago.
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Certain cars ship without a spare tire but do provide a way to add one as an accessory. The Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid is like that -- Hyundai includes the spare in the UK but not in US or Canada. It helps get the vehicle weight down to get better MPGe ratings.

Here's a discussion about it: https://www.ioniqforum.com/threads/spare-tire.33078/

And then again, sometimes the vehicle doesn't just doesn't accomodate a spare. The Ioniq PHEV and Ioniq Electric are that way. It's too early to say what we'll discover when removing the styrofoam layer under Mustang Mach-E's rear load floor.

Scufflegrit

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 BMW X1, '15 BMW 328d, '18 F150
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
One item that caught my eye. NO SPARE TIRE. Hmmm... not sure that I approve of that.
Some Volvos just give you can of fix-a-flat. Our BMW's didn't come with spares, but they at least came with run flats which has saved my wife's bacon several times on her wagon - if there's something weird in the road she'll hit it. I eventually switched to conventional tires on my X1 due to the poor run flat tire selection for its staggered 19's. There is no good place to put a spare in that car so I bought one of those portable Slime compressors which I hope to never have to try out. I've been driving spare-less without run flats for a few years now.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
Even if you don't "burn them off" the increased torque of an EV and how easy it is to apply compared to an ICE vehicle means that almost nobody can resist the temptation to accelerate faster than they did with an ICE car. It's so easy you may not even notice you're doing it. Increased acceleration = increased tire wear. It's just physics.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
Some Volvos just give you can of fix-a-flat. Our BMW's didn't come with spares, but they at least came with run flats which has saved my wife's bacon several times on her wagon - if there's something weird in the road she'll hit it. I eventually switched to conventional tires on my X1 due to the poor run flat tire selection for its staggered 19's. There is no good place to put a spare in that car so I bought one of those portable Slime compressors which I hope to never have to try out. I've been driving spare-less without run flats for a few years now.
Hope you never have to either .... I hit a nail and the goop and compressor worked long enough to get me about 1 mile further to a gas station where I abandoned the car, got a ride to an auto parts store, returned with a plug kit and got the car rolling again.

I can safely say after that experience, goop don't work. I now have a permanent plug kit in my car. Oh, and a jack ... cars without spares usually don't come with a jack either. Moronic.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
Ford Factory tires suck period. I have been buying nothing but Fords since 2006. Bottom line I use Tire America (tire rack) and buy their warranty. For $25.00 per tire they guarantee ANYTHING happens to your tires whether you bought them there or not except for wearing out they replace them. They do free rotations and balancing any time. I take mine there every 5,000 miles and have always gotten great mileage on the tires I bought there versus the ones that came with my Fords. I would think regen braking would actually help wear versus more wear excluding extra weight etc. When I drive I can sometimes slow down or suddenly hit the brakes. With regen supposedly it slows down when you are not accelerating which means it is slowing down slowly so no sudden stops. God knows I have sometimes burned rubber slowing down!!!!

Shihear

First Name
Shihear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT350
Country flag
Some people want to change rims. Do you think you really can
as these were designed for the Mach ?
Yes, there will for sure be aftermarket wheels options which are the same specs (if not better - lighter) than the factory wheels. Manufacturers are beginning to produce wheels for Teslas and they realize that EVs have special wheel requirements for narrower and lighter wheels.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
It bears mentioning that that DOES mean you'll have uneven wear front/rear if you don't have the GT, and possibly even then depending on F/R balance of power during accel/decel. (because all other configurations are asymmetrical with either no front motor or a smaller one)
I think this is really the point I was making. My Leaf has FWD so all regenerative braking is on the front, which also has greater wear due to turning. RWD Mustangs will have all regenerative braking on the rear, with the turning wear on the front. This distributes the uneven wear from the two wear surfaces separately. It's a good question how wear will balance out in the GT (two big motors) and the other AWDs (big rear motor, small front motor).

jandkw

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
I have 43K miles on my Model S and currently running on my third set of tires, Michelin on the last 2 sets. My current set of tires is running down and not sure if it survies another 5K miles, very frustrating. I had 2 Honda accords, 4 cylinders, around 3000 lb +/- for many years using Michelin tires and they lasted for 40K+ miles. I am no race car driver just average, no hard conerning. I think the cause of tires running out so fast is due to the weight (battery, of course) of 4800 lb +/- Model S and high torque. It's a fun drive so I have to pay for it. I drove several Model S loaner cars with 30K+ miles and they have all tires replaced, different brands too. Ford said Mach E has around 4800 +/- lb (assume this is for dual motor 4WD) so for all potential Mach E buyers, prepare your additional budget on tires.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
I have 43K miles on my Model S and currently running on my third set of tires, Michelin on the last 2 sets. My current set of tires is running down and not sure if it survies another 5K miles, very frustrating. I had 2 Honda accords, 4 cylinders, around 3000 lb +/- for many years using Michelin tires and they lasted for 40K+ miles. I am no race car driver just average, no hard conerning. I think the cause of tires running out so fast is due to the weight (battery, of course) of 4800 lb +/- Model S and high torque. It's a fun drive so I have to pay for it. I drove several Model S loaner cars with 30K+ miles and they have all tires replaced, different brands too. Ford said Mach E has around 4800 +/- lb (assume this is for dual motor 4WD) so for all potential Mach E buyers, prepare your additional budget on tires.
Which Michelin? A/S ; Super Sport; etc.?

jandkw

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
Which Michelin? A/S ; Super Sport; etc.?
Michelin Pilot Sports A/S 3+ All season. Ride is good but wear out fast. I had $100 each warranty rebate from the 2nd set which helps a little. I think I'll switch to Primacy MXM4 the next set.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Because the regen only works on one of the axes (non-AWD), I wonder if the Mach-E/Tesla suffers from the same phenomenon as my C-Max? If the brake is pressed and you hit a speed bump or something at speed, the car will feel like it is lurching forward because the regen isn't having the same effect because the axel that hit the bump is loosing traction momentarily. Maybe being RWD and not FWD (like the C-Max) makes a difference.

jandkw

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
Because the regen only works on one of the axes (non-AWD), I wonder if the Mach-E/Tesla suffers from the same phenomenon as my C-Max? If the brake is pressed and you hit a speed bump or something at speed, the car will feel like it is lurching forward because the regen isn't having the same effect because the axel that hit the bump is loosing traction momentarily. Maybe being RWD and not FWD (like the C-Max) makes a difference.
Interesting point. . I will research some more to confirm this. Model S has an option to turn off the regen. I'm hoping Mach E has that option as well.
Sponsored