Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Around 10k miles I measured the tread depth and noted about 9/32nd up front and 8/32nd in rear. That surprised me a little bit because I am used to the front tires wearing down quicker than the rears (except when I was in high school then those rears didn't hardly last a year). :p

Around 9,500 miles ago when my odometer popped it's tenths away. (rolling past 10k miles...)
Front
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tire wear Front 9 32nd

Rear
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tire wear Rear tire 8 32nd

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Getting pretty close to 20k miles and measured again.
Fronts still measure right at 9/32". ?????
Right Rear down to 7/32" but Left Rear still at 8/32".
I wonder what causes the RR to wear that little bit quicker? More torque transferred to that side?
These are open diffs...so I guess that is possible. I'll need to think about how the torque transfers on these IDMs. Have always owned limited slip diffs for the last 4 decades so an open diff out back is unusual for me.

I suppose the regen happens primarily on the rears as well. That is the only thing that I can think that will explain the extra wear. I don't make a habit of quick starts but it has happened on occasion. :)

Right front
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tire wear RF 19k

Right Rear
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tire wear RR 19k

Left Rear
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tire wear LR 19k

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Tires are wearing well. The OEM Michelinā€™s are 8.5/32 as a new tire. You are on your way to 60,000 plus miles out of them.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Probably a weight distribution issue. The wear is telling you to rotate tires at 9500 miles.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Around 10k miles I measured the tread depth and noted about 9/32nd up front and 8/32nd in rear. That surprised me a little bit because I am used to the front tires wearing down quicker than the rears (except when I was in high school then those rears didn't hardly last a year). :p

Around 9,500 miles ago when my odometer popped it's tenths away. (rolling past 10k miles...)
Front

Rear
I would say youā€™re seeing the normal effects of a 4900lb vehicle with 50/50 weight distribution that rides on an independent MacPherson strut front suspension and an independent multi-link rear suspension. People donā€™t realize how much more tire wear they will get when there is an additional 5-10% of vehicle weight distributed to the rear. Combine that with the natural attributes of a multi-link rear design and youā€™re sure to wear the rears faster than the fronts. And that isnā€™t even considering any potential tire spinning antics, just normal driving.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Tires are wearing well. The OEM Michelinā€™s are 8.5/32 as a new tire. You are on your way to 60,000 plus miles out of them.
Very surprised. The Michelins on my Focus Electric barely lasted 32k miles. Glad to see these are doing better. :)

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Could be. I thought it was dead enter left to right but I don't quite remember. I can check the shop manual, it might show a diagram or something useful.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Probably a weight distribution issue. The wear is telling you to rotate tires at 9500 miles.
I should rotate mine I guess. I skipped the rotation at 10k miles but will go ahead and do it this Sunday now that I am just about 20k. Couldn't hurt.
Sponsored