Tires for a better ride, less road noise, or better miles per KWH?

MTNestr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE MME
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Has anyone installed new tires for a better ride or less road noise or better miles per KWH. If so, what brand? Would you do it again?
Sponsored

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
Has anyone installed new tires for a better ride or less road noise or better miles per KWH. If so, what brand? Would you do it again?
FIrst, what model do you have, and do you have 18, 19, or 20 inch rims?

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
If you have 19" Premium, I installed the 18" Select Wheels for winter on my Premium and some very quiet (quieter than the OEM Michelins) smooth and amazing Continental Viking 7 Winter tires.

The Select, in my opinion, rides better than the premium, due to the additional rubber and air in the 18 tires. I have found that it improved my Premium ER ride to equal to my old Select. Of course I like the look of the 19's and will return them in Spring.

What I can suggest is find someone with a Select and spend a few dollars, swap them, and try them for a few miles or test drive one and see the ride difference for yourself. Add a few more rear passengers and you will equal the weight of the Premium ER too.

The premium ER ride is fine with me but does seem to have a "bucking" front to rear on harsh roads, like a short wheelbase Jeep. That seems to be eliminated with 18" tires/wheels.

White Mach E.jpg

snows.jpg

GrumblesTheDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GB FE
Country flag
If you have 19" Premium, I installed the 18" Select Wheels for winter on my Premium and some very quiet (quieter than the OEM Michelins) smooth and amazing Continental Viking 7 Winter tires.

The Select, in my opinion, rides better than the premium, due to the additional rubber and air in the 18 tires. I have found that it improved my Premium ER ride to equal to my old Select. Of course I like the look of the 19's and will return them in Spring.

What I can suggest is find someone with a Select and spend a few dollars, swap them, and try them for a few miles or test drive one and see the ride difference for yourself. Add a few more rear passengers and you will equal the weight of the Premium ER too.

The premium ER ride is fine with me but does seem to have a "bucking" front to rear on harsh roads, like a short wheelbase Jeep. That seems to be eliminated with 18" tires/wheels.

White Mach E.jpg

snows.jpg
Do you have a direct side profile photo? Curious if you think the select wheel/larger tire combo looks noticeably 'fatter' or if the visual impact is marginal.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
I read an article about some new EV-specific tires from Goodrich that sounded interesting. When it is time for new rubber my number one priority will be reduced road noise.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Do you have a direct side profile photo? Curious if you think the select wheel/larger tire combo looks noticeably 'fatter' or if the visual impact is marginal.
my premium with Winter 18” and my Select with OEM tires , OEM wheels and new 18” wheels, same tires.

6484BC1C-A9ED-42D5-AC01-3441C883364E.jpeg

D100518A-C5CE-4024-8CC6-128AFBE1F716.jpeg

A9BD50AA-B94C-4547-A99C-282BFD685511.jpeg

541241E8-A364-4675-81D9-2869A721A4B4.jpeg

OP
OP
MTNestr

MTNestr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE MME
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I read an article about some new EV-specific tires from Goodrich that sounded interesting. When it is time for new rubber my number one priority will be reduced road noise.
My priority is also Reduced Road Noise but better mileage would also be appreciated.

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
My priority is also Reduced Road Noise but better mileage would also be appreciated.
I think you are unlikely to get much more range, mainly because it’s obvious that Ford prioritized range over pretty much everything else with the OEM 19” tires.
Sponsored