krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Car is finishing 20K service at the dealer. They called and said it may be time for new tires due to low tread? They were rotated at 10K and I am not a crazy driver. Anyone else seeing this? OEM tires on the car. Premium AWD.
Sponsored

Black e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium Standard Range AWD
Country flag
I am 23k (no issues so far) and many in the forum said they had to change but after 45k+ miles

maktas1973

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Focus Electric
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
OEM Tires are junk especially at 225 width, I'd get 245 width.

mateo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
I'd ask for a specific tread depth number. But 20k isn't unreasonable depending on how and where you're driving.

New2EV

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Charger, Explorer, Chevelle, Mach E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
My wife's explorer required new tires at 25k miles and she is not an aggressive driver. The same tire bought aftermarket was rated for 65k miles. I'm convinced Ford (and probably most manufacturers) use cheap tires out of the factory to save a few bucks and most will require replacement before the car warranty expires.
Ford's tire warranty manual makes no reference to expected mileage. Only tread depth and defects in material.

RedOctobrrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach E Select AWD
Country flag
Ford's tire warranty manual makes no reference to expected mileage. Only tread depth and defects in material.
What's the time limit? If the tread depth is below X by Y time they're warrantied?

Ron Bonifas

First Name
Ronbon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln LS Ford edge Mach e RT1 rapid red
Occupation
Ford service tech
Country flag
My wife's explorer required new tires at 25k miles and she is not an aggressive driver. The same tire bought aftermarket was rated for 65k miles. I'm convinced Ford (and probably most manufacturers) use cheap tires out of the factory to save a few bucks and most will require replacement before the car warranty expires.
2021 rt1 rotated tires at 40k miles 2 tires at 4.5/32nds and 2 tires at 4/32nds at center of tread, more wear on inside edge. Likely will need to be replaced next winter. Michelin Primacy 225/60/18 No complaints with traction or wear.

Ron Bonifas

First Name
Ronbon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln LS Ford edge Mach e RT1 rapid red
Occupation
Ford service tech
Country flag
2021 rt1 rotated tires at 40k miles 2 tires at 4.5/32nds and 2 tires at 4/32nds at center of tread, more wear on inside edge. Likely will need to be replaced next winter. Michelin Primacy 225/60/18 No complaints with traction or wear.
also note rotated at 10k mi intervals

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Are you down to the wear indicators? If not then dealer my be trying to pad the bottom line as its one of those items they like to sell you sooner than later.

Not sure of your location in San Diego but it doesn't exactly really rain much during the year in most of California apart from the standard winter deluge that California gets and I assume your not venturing up into the snow pack.

As the tread is for moving the water, which is why most old vs new tires adverts are always do a comparison in the wet as in the dry there will be very little difference hmmm funny that ;). So as long as you typically drive sensible then you will be fine taking tires right down to the wear indicators until you need to replace them for most locations in California.

EVs are of course not light weights so that will impact you tire wear but as you have the Michelin on your trim and there tires typically perform well right down to the wear indicators you wont have the same wear as the Pirelli on the GTPE that wear out just looking at them 🤣

If you are going to replace them may be worth looking into EV specific tires the weight and instant torque of EVs means that while car tires work fine there are design choices tire manufactures can take into account beyond just optimizing for rolling resistance when making an EV specific tire.

Unfortunately if you stick with Ford OEM wheel and tire size it does not seem to offer much in the way of decent EV specific tires. The last time I looked was of course a while back so things could be better now.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Car is finishing 20K service at the dealer. They called and said it may be time for new tires due to low tread? They were rotated at 10K and I am not a crazy driver. Anyone else seeing this? OEM tires on the car. Premium AWD.
Measure the tread depth and then seek advice on the internet. A digital tool cost under $10 on eBay.

OP
OP
krafty81

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Thanks all. I get the car back tomorrow and will check it out. Not in the mood for new tires already!

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
If you went and purchased these tires they'd have a milage warranty. If they had a rating of 50k but were worn (evenly) at 20 k there'd be a 'refund' from those tires prorated to a new set from the manuf. But if these came on the car I think they just ignore it. I had a set of Conti's I bought at Discounttire. They lasted 18k and were at the bars but had a 60k rating. They kicked me back roughly 35% the cost of the tires (back then, the price I paid under 3 years ago). They mentioned the prorate was time + miles but that's Discount. You milage may vary.

And the tire shops know EV's wear out tires faster than the manuf's warrant them. I was told in AZ most Tesla's are getting 20k to 30k out of a set of tires. Heat doesn't help the weight situation.
Sponsored