Tires with less road noise (Premium trim)

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Not subjective when measured via dB meter :)
So you do this on the same day, same road conditions, swapping out tires on the same car, drive the same speeds, etc.? ;)
Sponsored

OP
OP
voxel

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
If the ID.4 and MY have less noise, why not get the same tires those have? Same stretch of road? I agree with most here. I don’t consider the Primacy tires noisy. Crappy grip, oh yeah.
Heck, every car I’ve owned since then has less road/tire noise except the MINI electric. Two RAV4 Primes, Model 3, Model Y, Telluride…

OP
OP
voxel

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
So you do this on the same day, same road conditions, swapping out tires on the same car, drive the same speeds, etc.? ;)
Same roads and generally same speeds yes.

Again, would not commented unless I noticed such a big difference. I drove the same section of highway on Telluride a week before. It was loud enough yesterday I pulled out my dB meter app that I’ve used for the past 6 month as reference for all cars I’ve owned. I’ve used Bjorn Nylund’s as a reference because also see mid/upper 60 dB levels on smooth highway at 65-70mph.

OP
OP
voxel

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I have dB measurements from drives with my Orange MME vs. Telluride over the same stretch of roads that show an average ~5 dB difference. I will drive my GTPE over the same section and measure. It's hard to be scientific about it all without driving the two cars together on the same road at the time.

Anyhow, the Orange MME (now traded) through some stretches of road is extremely loud. Far louder than other EVs I've had and measured.

It could be a build quality (fit and finish) issue because the Orange Premium AWD had serious wind buffeting noise at highway speeds that isn't present in my new GTPE.

Here is the trip to the dealer on the day I traded the AWD ER for the GTPE. The screenshot shows the time + location. There was no construction on this section. This is the same 12 miles I take to work every other day and have measured numerous times with all my EVs/PHEVs - MINI, RAV4 Prime, Model 3 RWD, Model Y, .. okay not the ID.4.

Usually high 60s / low 70s.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tires with less road noise (Premium trim) Photo Jul 23, 10 53 09 AM (1)
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tires with less road noise (Premium trim) Photo Jul 23, 10 53 09 AM

Here is the trip to Lakeland where it became extremely noisy. My hypothesis is if I drive my Telluride over the same bumpy stretch it would be max 77 dB and I'm hoping for the same with my new GTPE.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tires with less road noise (Premium trim) Photo Jul 16, 10 29 07 AM
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tires with less road noise (Premium trim) Photo Jul 16, 10 29 07 AM (1)

OP
OP
voxel

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
For reference this is the Orange Premium AWD ER vs. Telluride over the exact same rougher section of I-4. On back to back evenings.

The MME is generally quiet hitting mid-60s but tire noise or isolation is bad - over non-smooth sections. Telluride is very well isolated.

Next is to measure the GTPE over the same section.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tires with less road noise (Premium trim) Photo Jul 23, 4 55 52 PM (1)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tires with less road noise (Premium trim) Photo Jul 23, 4 55 52 PM

Telluride:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tires with less road noise (Premium trim) Average