Tires with less road noise (Premium trim)

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Just thinking ahead. When I replace the OEM Premium tires, what set of tires are less noisy? I took my first long-ish trip today and over rough highway the road noise was deafening. I noticed the noisiness on shorter trips but at slower speeds the volume of it was acceptable.
Sponsored

uncle_0gre

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 Mach 1 428 CJ
Country flag
Turn up the tunes and open the windows!! ;)

But in all seriousness I’ve never bought tires with noise (or lack there) of as a deciding factor.
It’s always been best performing, noise be damned.

But then again acceptable noise is quite different person to person.
I’d be interested to see tire resale website start adding filters for noise railings.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Just thinking ahead. When I replace the OEM Premium tires, what set of tires are less noisy? I took my first long-ish trip today and over rough highway the road noise was deafening. I noticed the noisiness on shorter trips but at slower speeds the volume of it was acceptable.
Really the first I have ever heard of that complaint. Most everyone that has been in my car has commented how quiet it was....including Tesla owners. Are all your windows fully seated in the up position? If not, the owner's manual has the procedure to retrain those....(just thinking out loud here....)

Reactions: ARK

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
That's funny. We've got 6,000 miles on our Premium and find no road noise from the tires.

OP
OP
voxel

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Really the first I have ever heard of that complaint. Most everyone that has been in my car has commented how quiet it was....including Tesla owners. Are all your windows fully seated in the up position? If not, the owner's manual has the procedure to retrain those....(just thinking out loud here....)
It's not wind noise.

It's underneath the floorboard noise. I can hear the tires. It goes away on smooth surfaces.

The ID.4 and Model Y were quiet. The Model Y had a bit more wind noise. I already noticed this tire noise driving on local streets but it is high speed it's more than audible.

You know they make low noise EV tires, right?

https://www.continental-tires.com/car/tire-knowledge/tire-basics/electric-vehicle-tires
https://insideevs.com/features/504977/insideevs-goodyear-foam-ev-tire/

OP
OP
voxel

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
That's funny. We've got 6,000 miles on our Premium and find no road noise from the tires.
Serious. I will bring a H4N recorder on my next drive and see if I can measure the decibels after the fact.

Because I recently owned an ID.4 and Model Y (both of which I've driven on the same toll and interstates) I have direct and recent and first hand comparisons to make. My Premium OEM tires are noisy. The Premium suspension isn't as bouncy as others have said so I'm happy about that.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Try Continental Extreme Contact in 245-50R19. I put those on mine and love them. Performace is in a total other league then the stock tires. And quieter too!
Do you mean the Conti EC Sport summers or the EC DWS06 Plus all-seasons? Because I’ve been using the EC Sports for the past 3-4 years and they aren’t that quiet relative to touring tires.

They are basically a Michelin Pilot P4S for 15-20% less $ though.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
It's not wind noise.

It's underneath the floorboard noise. I can hear the tires. It goes away on smooth surfaces.

The ID.4 and Model Y were quiet. The Model Y had a bit more wind noise. I already noticed this tire noise driving on local streets but it is high speed it's more than audible.

You know they make low noise EV tires, right?

https://www.continental-tires.com/car/tire-knowledge/tire-basics/electric-vehicle-tires
https://insideevs.com/features/504977/insideevs-goodyear-foam-ev-tire/
If you are unhappy with road noise, consider adding some more sound deadening material to the car.

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
Try Continental Extreme Contact in 245-50R19. I put those on mine and love them. Performace is in a total other league then the stock tires. And quieter too!
I’m looking at that same tire. Were you able to use OEM rims and range changes?

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD Long Range
Country flag
Do you mean the Conti EC Sport summers or the EC DWS06 Plus all-seasons? Because I’ve been using the EC Sports for the past 3-4 years and they aren’t that quiet relative to touring tires.

They are basically a Michelin Pilot P4S for 15-20% less $ though.
EC DWS06 Plus all-seasons

OP
OP
voxel

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I think you've solve it.
The only way to avoid poor roads is to simply not drive it :)

Anyhow, I don't think the OEM tires are EV specific. When they wear out I will swap them with Michelin Pilot EVs or the suggestion above.

https://www.michelin.com/en/press-r...t-sport-family-tire-for-electric-sports-cars/

EV specific tires have foam inserts to dampen sound and are built to handle extra weight. Am surprised braking is better on EV specific Hankook tires. The Michelin Pilot EVs supposedly provide more EV range.... but of course that's all marketing speak until real-world reviews and tests arrive.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tires with less road noise (Premium trim) Tyres1.PNG
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tires with less road noise (Premium trim) Tyres2.PNG

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I had a few thoughts on this one.
First, the factory tires are quiet and I don't remember them making any discernable noise. If they get loud they probably need to be rotated.
2nd can say I tried a 245/50/19 UHP all season it was quiet but my range took a huge hit so be very careful when replacing tires.
It's winter here in MN and I switched to a set of all-weather (they have the winter 3 peak mountain snowflake rating) tires and they are quieter than the factory Michelin tires, and smoother, and handle better, and my range went way up even more than what I had with the factories. What I switched to is the factory select 18" wheels and 225/60/18 104V Vredestein Quatrac tires they are incredible.
It even got rid of much of the bounciness of the cars ride.
Sponsored

Last edited: