To do or not to do…

Sundar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
14- Nissan Leaf, 17/20-Bolt, 23-MachE (on order)
Country flag
I am getting multiple calls from dealers to take the MachE at MSRP. Of course no ADM, but I am thinking if Ford will drop their prices at some point to tackle Tesla.
What do you guys think? Should I take it or not?

If Ford goes back to their 2022 prices…
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I wouldn't take one over $55,000 (not including destination), but otherwise, yes.

Caramel Mach-e-ato

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Country flag
Can you wait? Time is most likely your friend - and not one for the dealers and corporate. Inventory builds out there and something will have to give. As the auto industry reverts to ‘status quo ante’ to Covid, you may be in a great position to pit dealers against each other for the ‘best’ deal and corporate may make adjustments at the February incentive slate in early February. Give it until early February and see what shakes out before deciding. My $.02…😀

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
I would wait for:
1. A meaningful discount from 2023 MSRP, AND
2. Full $7,500 federal income tax credit.

Ford Mustang Mach-E To do or not to do… 1674332797022

I like getting a good price. But if you want the car now and if it won't bother you to see better deals later in the year, you should go for it.

bostonman

First Name
Tat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E premium SR, Cyber-Orange
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Normally, Ford dealer can give discount to customers in order to sell a car - remember the good old days when no one want to pay the MSRP for cars ?

The federal tax credit rule this time is different, it is based on MSRP instead of the actual sale price of a EV . I think Ford has no choice but to go back to 2022 price level in order to meet the MSRP new rule change. May be they can lobby the law maker to accept all Mach-E are SUV and use the $80K MSRP instead.

I got the price protection so I was paying 2022 price for my 2023. Together with the tax credit under the old rule (ordered in Feb 2022, delivered in Dec 2022) I think the price is fair.

EVandSolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV, Tesla M3, Ioniq PHEV(daughter)
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
$65,000 Mach-E sales are going to tank precipitously in the face of $45k Model Y offerings. I say wait a couple weeks.....I see either outright MSRP reductions, or simply pricing going way below MSRP. I'm already seeing lots of below MSRP offerings online for many EV's, which was literally unheard of a week ago.

Edit: just did a quick search and already see a Mach-E $1500 under MSRP online. *Most* are already at MSRP, almost none above.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
2. Full $7,500 federal income tax credit.
Do we know if it will qualify based on battery components yet? If not, it could lose the entire credit after March.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Do we know if it will qualify based on battery components yet? If not, it could lose the entire credit after March.
We don't know yet. After March, the full credit may be obtainable only by leasing.

Caramel Mach-e-ato

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Country flag
Battery components is not ‘ a thing ‘ yet. Once the IRS publishes guidance in March, then it’s likely ‘on’. Right now what counts is ‘made in North America’ and income. So, a vehicle available now is a good thing. Saw a used 22 GTPE on Carmax today for $57k with Blues Cruise.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Battery components is not ‘ a thing ‘ yet. Once the IRS publishes guidance in March, then it’s likely ‘on’. Right now what counts is ‘made in North America’ and income. So, a vehicle available now is a good thing. Saw a used 22 GTPE on Carmax today for $57k with Blues Cruise.
Yep, that was my point, that there's a good chance the $7500 credit available now may not be available after March. One more factor for the OP to consider.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
I got the price protection so I was paying 2022 price for my 2023. Together with the tax credit under the old rule (ordered in Feb 2022, delivered in Dec 2022) I think the price is fair.
Similar here - if it wasn't for the '22 PCO rebate on my incoming '23 and the tax credit, I would have skipped out and kept my Lightning.

$19K total "discount" on my MME which is: $6500 PCO plus $7500 tax credit along with $5000 of other rebate/incentives brings the $55K to $37K before TTL.

Now if Ford can DELIVER BEFORE March 2023 when the battery rules come into play, that would be the tops!

3rd delivery window slipped - now estimated 1/25-1/31:

Ford Mustang Mach-E To do or not to do… Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 5.56.48 AM

Last edited:

moparguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Miata, Mach E Select, Fusion
Country flag
Wait, I almost bought a Tesla 3 Performance last month, when it went down to $56k after a discount, now that very same car is at $54k and qualifies for an additional $7500 which I owe 100%, reason, why I didn't pull the trigger 3 weeks ago, was because I see the market going downhill, so here we go now, reason, why I didn't pull the trigger now, is I see the market going hill even further down, I am not interested in buying new, I will probably get used.

So key is to wait.
I got myself a rental Mach E select at a good price, so will drive this for now until I figure out my next step.

OP
OP
Sundar

Sundar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
14- Nissan Leaf, 17/20-Bolt, 23-MachE (on order)
Country flag
Wait, I almost bought a Tesla 3 Performance last month, when it went down to $56k after a discount, now that very same car is at $54k and qualifies for an additional $7500 which I owe 100%, reason, why I didn't pull the trigger 3 weeks ago, was because I see the market going downhill, so here we go now, reason, why I didn't pull the trigger now, is I see the market going hill even further down, I am not interested in buying new, I will probably get used.

So key is to wait.
I got myself a rental Mach E select at a good price, so will drive this for now until I figure out my next step.
I wont buy Tesla, period. I know that the $7500 rebate may not be applicable at all once March comes around, but the price of the MachE is still not comparable to the "dropped down" Tesla. So, Im thinking there will be some correction by Ford for this.

Irrespective of the $7500, I would hate it if I left another $10K (which I am thinking Ford will drop the prices by - wishful thinking is more like it) on the table and picked a MachE now.

Btw, @moparguy where did you get the Rental Mach E and what "good price". Im in San Diego too, so if you could drop me a line... :)
Sponsored