To do or not to do…

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
With dropping used pricing, I may end up declining my incoming '23 MME with a $6500 PCO and $7500 tax credit because the value of my Lightning is not worth it.

May have to wait to see if it comes back up....

Lightning is probably a much safer Truck EV to keep in terms of pricing power/price cust. Just less competition in that space vs. SUVs which should explode more this year. If I had a low priced lightning, I wouldn't be in a rush to get rid of it.

What lightning model did you get and what was the price?
Sponsored

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Lightning is probably a much safer Truck EV to keep in terms of pricing power/price cust. Just less competition in that space vs. SUVs which should explode more this year. If I had a low priced lightning, I wouldn't be in a rush to get rid of it.

What lightning model did you get and what was the price?
Yes, I thought the same since the Lightning is so rare on the streets that I would be immune to the used car devaluation; but I was wrong.

I see AutoNation has lots of Lightnings similar to mine at $85K but they are not moving.
Even my Lightning dealer dropped their prices by $5K this week.

I am selling my '22 Lariat SR base on eBay & FB for $72,500 - rather reasonable since the '23 starts at $76K.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/125729499628

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Yes, I thought the same since the Lightning is so rare on the streets that I would be immune to the used car devaluation; but I was wrong.

I see AutoNation has lots of Lightnings similar to mine at $85K but they are not moving.
Even my Lightning dealer dropped their prices by $5K this week.

I am selling my '22 Lariat SR base on eBay & FB for $72,500 - rather reasonable since the '23 starts at $76K.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/125729499628

If the AutoNation is marked up a bit for used, then I can see it being a slow mover. I think if you paid MSRP and get all the tax credits, you're a bit protected...like if you listed yours for $66.5k, it'd probably sell easier, but of course, still need that 1 buyer with $~70k in their pocket. I assume you paid even less than that for '22?

Edit: I looked up my car on ebay and the cheapest 2022 RWD was $47.9k for a Select with 8.5k miles. A Premium was $53.9k. Probably all overpriced if it's not priced to sell. I can go down to ~$40k so buying for as low as possible gives you some downside protection.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sundar

Sundar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
14- Nissan Leaf, 17/20-Bolt, 23-MachE (on order)
Country flag
Honestly, I was hoping they would cut it a little more to bring the extended range within the 55K on the Premium, but hey, this is good also. I’m glad I didn’t jump on that offer from the dealer. Hopefully my reduced price MME will get into production soon. 🥳🥳

Caramel Mach-e-ato

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Country flag
Can you wait? Time is most likely your friend - and not one for the dealers and corporate. Inventory builds out there and something will have to give. As the auto industry reverts to ‘status quo ante’ to Covid, you may be in a great position to pit dealers against each other for the ‘best’ deal and corporate may make adjustments at the February incentive slate in early February. Give it until early February and see what shakes out before deciding. My $.02…😀
Boom! Missed it by 2 days.

OP
OP
Sundar

Sundar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
14- Nissan Leaf, 17/20-Bolt, 23-MachE (on order)
Country flag
Good advice. Thank you!
Sponsored