To Drill or Not to Drill to fix dent (PDR), that is the question.

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I have had a dent on the passenger side door that has been driving me nuts. Some #%#$# in a parking lot did it within a week after I got it. Anyway, finally got someone to look at it for paintless dent repair. Cost was reasonable $100 BUT because we have dual pane windows in the front, he can't really go via the tradition way...may break the windows. He would either have to remove the window ($4-500) or drill a hole on the side in order to reach the location. Would that be a worthwhile tradeoff? Hate the notion of purposely putting a hole in the MME.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I would not let a PDR person drill in my car. Period.

I considered doing PDR on a previous vehicle. Met with the tech at my previous car dealer's lot. Was totally unimpressed with his confidence (he had little), and he also wanted to drill. I left the dent...

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Is this PDR guy really good? If he isn’t then I should just leave the ding until you have another reason to get the door done. If he is really good, pull the door panel and window yourself?

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Seems like drilling a hole in your door defeats the purpose of paintless dent repair....

OP
OP
mamejunkie

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This guy did some work for my friend's car and also is used by dealerships around me. The hole would be at the side behind the door weather strip. The way he explained it was that the dual pane window is weaker than standard windows and he needs leverage against something...the only opening would be the top and that would put pressure against the window itself.

nrevezzo

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Rapid Red SR RWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
PDR is definitely the way to go. Don't worry about the drill hole you won't even see it when it's done. Unlike the dent in the door.

Dafstang

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aimdesign.com
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium E AWD/ / 2017 Mercedes GLE-43
Occupation
Product designer
Country flag
This guy did some work for my friend's car and also is used by dealerships around me. The hole would be at the side behind the door weather strip. The way he explained it was that the dual pane window is weaker than standard windows and he needs leverage against something...the only opening would be the top and that would put pressure against the window itself.
I had a a doording repaired the exact same way. THe guy also said there is a chance the window may shatter as it is weaker glass, blahblahblah, I think they are just trying to set expectations. I told him to just go ahead and do it, Came out perfect you can't even tell there was a doording. this was more towards the mirror in the front part of the door. BUt still, I would just chance it, but I would definetly not drill the door. I do think the profile of the door is going to be prone to pretty deep door dings. I keep parking across the parking lot and there is always some idiot that comes and parks next to me.
Sponsored