To Frunk or not to Frunk. That is the question.

intensifi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT
Country flag
I see the new Blazer EV from Chevy does not have a Frunk.

Any ideas as to why?

I‘m looking forward to the Frunk in my reserved GT!
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag

Any ideas as to why?

In 9 months of ownership so far, the only time I’ve used the frunk is to show people I have a frunk (when they ask what’s under the hood).

As to the Blazer…… there probably isn’t room.

People forget we still have power steering pumps, a/c compressors, 12v batteries, motors, and yes even radiators under the hood! It’s not a big empty space to fill.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
In 9 months of ownership so far, the only time I’ve used the frunk is to show people I have a frunk (when they ask what’s under the hood).

As to the Blazer…… there probably isn’t room.

People forget we still have power steering pumps, a/c compressors, 12v batteries, motors, and yes even radiators under the hood! It’s not a big empty space to fill.
No power steering pump with EPAS, heck, even your SS sedan was power steering pumpless 😉. That said, we reserved a Blazer regardless of its lack of a frunk. 550/650 hp/tq can cover a multitude of omissions imo.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag

Any ideas as to why?

Frunk is nice, if overhyped. We use ours for 36 packs of soda at Sam’s or Costco, can also fit a few other items in there. Irony:
Ford Mustang Mach-E To Frunk or not to Frunk. That is the question. 95F482F3-6797-414E-A4A3-E95F33A745C8

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I use my frunk regularly - maybe at least once a week. It’s a very convenient storage compartment.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I think the reason other manufacturers (VW, Hyundai, GM) don’t put in frunks is because they’re lazy when it comes to packaging and don’t think creatively about the frunk value proposition.

Last edited:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
We don't use the Frunk in our Mach-e often, but when we do it has been clutch.

Twice we used it for extra storage on a trip so that we could keep the back window clear. We also use it on the return trip from vacations to hold the dirty laundry and keep the smell out of the car.

Also useful for holding cold things you want to stay cold in the winter and hot things you want to stay hot in the summer - rotisserie chicken anyone!

Plan to use my Lightning frunk much more - so much room for activities!

Killerkg

First Name
Kunal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Job 2
Occupation
Finance
I have used the frunk a lot, especially carrying drinks and liquids. Afraid my back trunk will get dirty... Also keep lot of water bottles in the frunk
Did a long 1000+ trip with 5 people and luggage in frunk and trunk.. few days back as well

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
I think the reason other manufacturers (VW, Hyundai, GM) don’t put in drunks is because they’re lazy when it comes to packaging and don’t think creatively about the frunk value proposition.
Thank you!! That has been my position on the frunk debate. These auto makers are too lazy to make that space available. If you take something as massive as an ICE engine and transmission out and can’t bother to make that space usable then you either have some have some lazy engineers or cheap managers.

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
We use our frunk constantly for my son's filthy travel baseball gear. Leaves the interior of the car much cleaner and allows space for our son in the backseat, plus our Newfoundland to join us and bring a full size cooler along. Works out really well. I will never buy another car without a frunk if I can help it.

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
I've used the Frunk a lot, especially on weekend outings with the family. Sand covered clothes? Frunk. Mud covered shoes? Frunk. Firewood? Frunk. Etc. Etc.

I've told my wife I feel like the frunk was the most practical value of the MME for us. A decently sized storage space that can be washed out at anytime that saves your interior from terrible messes. As a parent, the Frunk has saved us multiple times.

Also a great place to put takeout that you don't want smelling up the car.

MG101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
a car
Country flag
To-go containers go on the frunk so the car doesn't stink. Our large suitcase fits in the frunk so the dog can still fit in the hatch. Everything my youngest threw up on last trip went in the frunk for obvious reasons. Beach sand toys go in the frunk. All the crap I don't want to see, hear, smell or have to clean up goes (together now) in the frunk. It's a wonderful thing.

Plus if Ford could pull off a frunk with their fun house of coolant hoses there is really no excuse other manufacturers.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Plan to use my Lightning frunk much more - so much room for activities!
I’ve seen one person hood inside a Lightning frunk but it would be really tight for two.

oh, not those activities?

Engelbert

First Name
Engelbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium XR AWD
Country flag
We have filled the frunk with ice and dozens of beers and rolled up to friends' summer BBQs. Parked, popped the frunk from the app a few minutes later, and asked the host to please lift the hood. Instant party, though the surprise was jeopardized by the steady rivulet of auto-drained ice melt rolling out onto the driveway. Too much, for too long, to be coming from the A/C!

Summer is great for bringing hot food home.

Winter: ski boots, helmets, jackets, frozen groceries (not at the same time as the ski stuff).

Spring: muddy shoes, wet umbrellas.

Haven't done fall with the Mach E yet. Probably more muddy stuff.

Family long-distance road trips for 4: those last few items that wouldn't quite fit into the back, if I wanted the rear view mirror to remain useful.

A neighbor's kid ignored my objections and tried to climb in with his dirt-caked shoes when I first opened the frunk it at home, maybe 90 minutes after leaving the dealership. I had to grab his shoulder and make it clear he wasn't going in. Had it been a Lightning, he easily would have fit and I would have happily shut the hood on him. The release handle in there glows in the dark...

Love the frunk.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
No power steering pump with EPAS, heck, even your SS sedan was power steering pumpless 😉. That said, we reserved a Blazer regardless of its lack of a frunk. 550/650 hp/tq can cover a multitude of omissions imo.
Lol oh yeah, I should remember that too since my EPS on the SS went out ….. 3 weeks outside warranty and before the recall. Had to pay out of pocket to fix. Didn’t get reimbursed for a whole year until they finally recalled it.

But yeah, either way, we still got a lotta junk under the frunk.

Whatcha gonna do when you find out about the time limited power on the Blazer though?

This is a LOT of work to get full power on the hummer and it sounds like the Blazer will have a similar setup to “watts to freedom.”

https://www.gmc.com/support/vehicle/driving-safety/ev-driving/watts-to-freedom

HOW TO ENTER WATTS TO FREEDOM MODE

Watts to Freedom unlocks maximum torque, allowing for extremely fast acceleration.
To ensure you are deliberately engaging the feature, Watts to Freedom requires several steps to engage. Follow these steps to enter the mode:
  1. First, bring your vehicle to a complete stop.
  2. Press the StabiliTrak/Electronic Stability Control button, located on the instrument panel, twice. The button looks like a vehicle with two curved lines trailing from the tires. You’ll see an animation in the cluster and feel vibrations in your driver seat when you do this.
  3. You’ll see a pop-up on your infotainment screen asking you to confirm that you want to engage Watts to Freedom and lower the vehicle.
a. To confirm, use the steering wheel controls.
4. Once you confirm that you want to enter Watts to Freedom, your vehicle will begin to lower.
a. While lowering, it will change settings for the shock absorbers, accelerator and cooling system to adjust to the enhanced torque the mode offers.
b. You will see an animation on your display as well as a Torque Gauge Capability graphic, which indicates the vehicle’s readiness for enhanced torque output. The bars atop this graphic fill as your vehicle conditions itself for enhanced torque output. Once the bar is full, you will have access to full torque.
c. The orange bar in the middle of the screen shows the amount of torque available at the current moment. The blue bars represent your vehicle's progress toward activating the Watts to Freedom feature.
5. You will then see a prompt on the display that instructs you how to brake to start the Watts to Freedom sequence.
a. Use your left foot to press the brake pedal with the appropriate pressure to proceed to the next prompt.
6. While you’re holding the brake pedal down, you’ll see a similar prompt for the accelerator. Use your right foot to press the accelerator pedal to the floor to confirm this prompt. When you do, you’ll hear a ramp-up sound that sounds like an engine hitting its revolutions per minute limit.
7. The infotainment screen will then prompt you to release the brake pedal. WARNING: As soon as you do this, the vehicle will launch into an extremely fast acceleration.
8. The vehicle will then accelerate rapidly. You will see your Torque Gauge fill up and see a message indicating the level of acceleration you're experiencing. Maximum torque output will disengage if you exert any significant steering input or experience a stability control event. The feature's state will return to step 5, detailed above. You will be able to reengage acceleration after following the engagement steps again.
9. To slow your vehicle after the acceleration event begins, release the accelerator pedal and press the brake pedal.
Sponsored

Last edited: