To Frunk or not to Frunk. That is the question.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Lol oh yeah, I should remember that too since my EPS on the SS went out ….. 3 weeks outside warranty and before the recall. Had to pay out of pocket to fix. Didn’t get reimbursed for a whole year until they finally recalled it.

But yeah, either way, we still got a lotta junk under the frunk.

Whatcha gonna do when you find out about the time limited power on the Blazer though?

This is a LOT of work to get full power on the hummer and it sounds like the Blazer will have a similar setup to “watts to freedom.”

https://www.gmc.com/support/vehicle/driving-safety/ev-driving/watts-to-freedom

HOW TO ENTER WATTS TO FREEDOM MODE

Watts to Freedom unlocks maximum torque, allowing for extremely fast acceleration.
To ensure you are deliberately engaging the feature, Watts to Freedom requires several steps to engage. Follow these steps to enter the mode:
  1. First, bring your vehicle to a complete stop.
  2. Press the StabiliTrak/Electronic Stability Control button, located on the instrument panel, twice. The button looks like a vehicle with two curved lines trailing from the tires. You’ll see an animation in the cluster and feel vibrations in your driver seat when you do this.
  3. You’ll see a pop-up on your infotainment screen asking you to confirm that you want to engage Watts to Freedom and lower the vehicle.
a. To confirm, use the steering wheel controls.
4. Once you confirm that you want to enter Watts to Freedom, your vehicle will begin to lower.
a. While lowering, it will change settings for the shock absorbers, accelerator and cooling system to adjust to the enhanced torque the mode offers.
b. You will see an animation on your display as well as a Torque Gauge Capability graphic, which indicates the vehicle’s readiness for enhanced torque output. The bars atop this graphic fill as your vehicle conditions itself for enhanced torque output. Once the bar is full, you will have access to full torque.
c. The orange bar in the middle of the screen shows the amount of torque available at the current moment. The blue bars represent your vehicle's progress toward activating the Watts to Freedom feature.
5. You will then see a prompt on the display that instructs you how to brake to start the Watts to Freedom sequence.
a. Use your left foot to press the brake pedal with the appropriate pressure to proceed to the next prompt.
6. While you’re holding the brake pedal down, you’ll see a similar prompt for the accelerator. Use your right foot to press the accelerator pedal to the floor to confirm this prompt. When you do, you’ll hear a ramp-up sound that sounds like an engine hitting its revolutions per minute limit.
7. The infotainment screen will then prompt you to release the brake pedal. WARNING: As soon as you do this, the vehicle will launch into an extremely fast acceleration.
8. The vehicle will then accelerate rapidly. You will see your Torque Gauge fill up and see a message indicating the level of acceleration you're experiencing. Maximum torque output will disengage if you exert any significant steering input or experience a stability control event. The feature's state will return to step 5, detailed above. You will be able to reengage acceleration after following the engagement steps again.
9. To slow your vehicle after the acceleration event begins, release the accelerator pedal and press the brake pedal.
My SS EPAS failed May 2017, on a curvy stretch of 2222 in Austin, fun times. But I was under the CPO warranty and back on the road in 5 days. Recall came down like a month or so later I think.

As for the Blazer SS and WOW mode, I’m not worried. Because I’ll bet dollars to
Donuts that they’ll implement it like BMW, Kia, Hyundai, Porsche et al. where you get the full 550/650 for 10 secs and then down to maybe 450/500 or something. They’ll spec it and detail, unlike Ford’s “cover up” 5 sec that was never divulged ahead of time. Plus, HUD and cooled seats are so good. Remember? Haha
Sponsored

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Lol oh yeah, I should remember that too since my EPS on the SS went out ….. 3 weeks outside warranty and before the recall. Had to pay out of pocket to fix. Didn’t get reimbursed for a whole year until they finally recalled it.

But yeah, either way, we still got a lotta junk under the frunk.

Whatcha gonna do when you find out about the time limited power on the Blazer though?

This is a LOT of work to get full power on the hummer and it sounds like the Blazer will have a similar setup to “watts to freedom.”

https://www.gmc.com/support/vehicle/driving-safety/ev-driving/watts-to-freedom

HOW TO ENTER WATTS TO FREEDOM MODE

Watts to Freedom unlocks maximum torque, allowing for extremely fast acceleration.
To ensure you are deliberately engaging the feature, Watts to Freedom requires several steps to engage. Follow these steps to enter the mode:
  1. First, bring your vehicle to a complete stop.
  2. Press the StabiliTrak/Electronic Stability Control button, located on the instrument panel, twice. The button looks like a vehicle with two curved lines trailing from the tires. You’ll see an animation in the cluster and feel vibrations in your driver seat when you do this.
  3. You’ll see a pop-up on your infotainment screen asking you to confirm that you want to engage Watts to Freedom and lower the vehicle.
a. To confirm, use the steering wheel controls.
4. Once you confirm that you want to enter Watts to Freedom, your vehicle will begin to lower.
a. While lowering, it will change settings for the shock absorbers, accelerator and cooling system to adjust to the enhanced torque the mode offers.
b. You will see an animation on your display as well as a Torque Gauge Capability graphic, which indicates the vehicle’s readiness for enhanced torque output. The bars atop this graphic fill as your vehicle conditions itself for enhanced torque output. Once the bar is full, you will have access to full torque.
c. The orange bar in the middle of the screen shows the amount of torque available at the current moment. The blue bars represent your vehicle's progress toward activating the Watts to Freedom feature.
5. You will then see a prompt on the display that instructs you how to brake to start the Watts to Freedom sequence.
a. Use your left foot to press the brake pedal with the appropriate pressure to proceed to the next prompt.
6. While you’re holding the brake pedal down, you’ll see a similar prompt for the accelerator. Use your right foot to press the accelerator pedal to the floor to confirm this prompt. When you do, you’ll hear a ramp-up sound that sounds like an engine hitting its revolutions per minute limit.
7. The infotainment screen will then prompt you to release the brake pedal. WARNING: As soon as you do this, the vehicle will launch into an extremely fast acceleration.
8. The vehicle will then accelerate rapidly. You will see your Torque Gauge fill up and see a message indicating the level of acceleration you're experiencing. Maximum torque output will disengage if you exert any significant steering input or experience a stability control event. The feature's state will return to step 5, detailed above. You will be able to reengage acceleration after following the engagement steps again.
9. To slow your vehicle after the acceleration event begins, release the accelerator pedal and press the brake pedal.
Seriously? You have to go through all that crap? What’s wrong with just mashing the long skinny pedal to the floor? Why do you need to go through a more convoluted process than what’s required to launch nuclear missiles? 🙄

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
My SS EPAS failed May 2017, on a curvy stretch of 2222 in Austin, fun times. But I was under the CPO warranty and back on the road in 5 days. Recall came down like a month or so later I think.

As for the Blazer SS and WOW mode, I’m not worried. Because I’ll bet dollars to
Donuts that they’ll implement it like BMW, Kia, Hyundai, Porsche et al. where you get the full 550/650 for 10 secs and then down to maybe 450/500 or something. They’ll spec it and detail, unlike Ford’s “cover up” 5 sec that was never divulged ahead of time. Plus, HUD and cooled seats are so good. Remember? Haha
You’ll bet dollars because you ordered one. 😉

Don’t get me wrong, the Blazer definitely turned my head with the stats.

I’m just disappointed with the preliminary info. 0-60 in “under 4” may mean 3.9. And if WOW mode takes all the same steps as WTF mode in the Hummer……. They aren’t making me trade in the GTPE.

I can’t believe I’m saying this…… but I would rather stick with the 5 second limit that requires zero steps to get full power.

I’ll just have to be jealous of cooled seats and HUD for now.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
To answer the OP: I use my frunk all the time. I have one of the cars that came with the dividers, and took one side and the middle piece out so the frunk is divided into roughly 1/3 and 2/3rds. When I get a small amount of groceries, they always go in the frunk so they don't slide around and spill in the car - in particular the 1/3 space is great for holding milk. Takeout goes up there too. When we pack for vacation the frunk comes in really handy as well; the water jug for my CPAP goes in the "milk spot" and a small suitcase easily fits in the other side with other odds-and-ends crammed in.

The amount that this car can hold is actually astounding.

My son and his fiancee are going on a cruise with us in september, and my wife wanted us to take just one car to cut the parking bill in half. I was certain all of our luggage wouldn't fit, so I had my son bring his luggage over to prove it wouldn't fit. Unbelievably, it all DOES fit. One large suitcase, 2 medium suitcases, 1 "duffel bag" style case, one small suit case, my cpap and small camera bag, the wife's carry-on, and 2 backpacks. The frunk holds the small suitcase, camera bag, and cpap

Last edited:

MONDO

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(2021) Space White, Premium, AWD Ext Range
Occupation
Design Engineer
Country flag
I use the Frunk regularly. Not a dealbreaker if my next EV didn’t have it but I would definitely be needing the storage space made up elsewhere. Family life.

Doug&Julie

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium LR-RWD
Occupation
Designer
Country flag
Alex from "Alex on Autos" came up with a term "frunk agnostic", I think I'm in that camp. We didn't use ours for the first six months, but when we took our first long trip, it was very helpful. So maybe we'd miss it a couple / few times a year, but overall we rarely use it.

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Oh, in addition to the frunk which I removed the divider from, I have to say that I also really love the extra storage space that you get when you remove the organizer under the tray in the trunk. There is space for all kinds of random stuff once you remove that. Granted, it isn't very organized, but it is great added storage, especially when your car is jam packed with stuff for a vacation and it is also great for keeping things out of view when you want to tuck things away, especially if those things are too long to fit in the frunk.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
I really enjoy using the frunk on my Mach E, but mainly only for road trips. It's nice to have that extra storage when we really pack up the car.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
You’ll bet dollars because you ordered one. 😉

Don’t get me wrong, the Blazer definitely turned my head with the stats.

I’m just disappointed with the preliminary info. 0-60 in “under 4” may mean 3.9. And if WOW mode takes all the same steps as WTF mode in the Hummer……. They aren’t making me trade in the GTPE.

I can’t believe I’m saying this…… but I would rather stick with the 5 second limit that requires zero steps to get full power.

I’ll just have to be jealous of cooled seats and HUD for now.
Wait… what? Cooled seats? Where! What has cooled seats? Lack of cooled seats is the Mustang Mach E’s second biggest failing (after a lack of a remote frunk release)

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Premium ER Mach E, '21 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Thought I'd ask while we're here talking about how cool or useless the frunk is...

Less than 2 weeks into ownership and haven't had a good reason to use the frunk yet, but I do love the idea of it. The only issue I see is the convenience of getting it open (in the US) since we don't have the european fob with the frunk button, and some don't even have the Fordpass frunk button.

On a long trip it's a non-issue but just for simple errands or shopping runs, when walking back to the truck/car I find myself just picking whatever is most convenient. Depending on how free my hands are, while approaching in the lot I might use the fob to open the hatch (or truck tailgate) or maybe I'll just unlock all doors and toss stuff in the backseat when I get there. I can do these knowing which button is which on the fob while its still in my pocket. Pulling out the phone to unlock doors/frunk/hatch is slow and clunky, may require unlocking the phone, opening app, etc, its a non-starter.

So for frunk access you either are doing the whole app thing once in bluetooth range, or opening driver door, reaching for the lever twice, then walking around to the front to open the hood, loading etc. I know it isn't the worst thing in the world, but it isn't AS convenient as the hatch or using unoccupied seats.

My question is for non-europeans, does your frunk get way underused due to simple lack of fob button? Or does the novelty of using it offset being less convenient to open?

Bob W

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E (ordered)
Occupation
Comms Manager
Country flag
I see the new Blazer EV from Chevy does not have a Frunk.

Any ideas as to why?

I‘m looking forward to the Frunk in my reserved GT!
I can't speak to the motives of the Blazer design team, but I consider the frunk a nice bonus that could be sacrificed. IMO the Mach E design team could have shortened/lowered the front hood line to provide a more immediate line of sight to the road. First time I drove a Porsche 911 I noticed that the benefit of not having an engine in front allowed a design that seemed to put the road right at my feet and gave a sense of connection that was exciting and unique. I think EV car designers are still grappling with the design options they have, and the market appears to reward more conventional designs right now, but that may change as people get more comfortable with EVs.

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
Thank you!! That has been my position on the frunk debate. These auto makers are too lazy to make that space available. If you take something as massive as an ICE engine and transmission out and can’t bother to make that space usable then you either have some have some lazy engineers or cheap managers.
ioniq5 has a smaller frunk. but they prioritized interior space over frunk which a lot of people prefer. i rather have something i would use all the time than something i use sometimes

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Wait… what? Cooled seats? Where! What has cooled seats? Lack of cooled seats is the Mustang Mach E’s second biggest failing (after a lack of a remote frunk release)
Yep. Blazer SS and other models have cooled seats standard or available. And the HUD, which is also very nice. Lack of Cooled seats was a big miss for Ford imo.

KlueBat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E AWD Premium, 2021 Mustang GT
Country flag
Alex from "Alex on Autos" came up with a term "frunk agnostic", I think I'm in that camp. We didn't use ours for the first six months, but when we took our first long trip, it was very helpful. So maybe we'd miss it a couple / few times a year, but overall we rarely use it.

I'm there as well.

I think the "issue" is that a lot of people assume the frunk is "free" space and if an EV does not have one, then it is wasted space. That simply is not true. If Ford wanted to, they could have made the hood shorter on the Mach E and used that space to increase interior volume. Ford made the hood long though to fit with the Mustang design language so they made the best of things by adding a frunk.

Funk or no frunk, there is not really a right or wrong answer. But like everything in engineering and design, all things are a compromise.
Sponsored