To tint or not? Any regrets?

Fury16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
We are trying to decide on whether to tint the two front windows to match the factory tint on the rear windows. We have a local installer that offers Xpel XR plus. Has anyone used this tint? Any regrets? For anyone who has tinted front windows, would you mind sharing approximate cost? We think it will look great on our rapid red MME.

73A09DFB-1122-4620-8F84-E14C4774420B.jpeg

5F0ABB7E-4522-4C40-B590-743B9293CD9D.jpeg

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
Make sure it is legal in your state - in California, it is not. You can tint the fronts, but not very dark. It would be a shame to get busted and have to take it off.

I think it would make the car look good, but I would not like not being able to see out very well. IMHO it's a safety issue, but it depends on how dark, of course.

v8318cid

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MMe Prm. 4x , 19 Nissan Leaf, 22 GC 4xe
Occupation
Information Tech
Country flag
I have no idea what brand of tint was used, but my MMe has all four side windows tinted (dealer did it prior to purchase; not by my request). Although I do not have hard values for temperature, I can say that between the tinted windows, the IRR windshield and the glass roof, I've noticed the interior temperature has been lower than other vehicles when sitting idle in a parking lot. For reference, our average temp here has been around 90F lately. Somewhat below what I would normally expect for this time of year here, but no complaints considering what the west coast has been experiencing. I've briefly experienced what temps in the Middle East are like in the summer (~120F) and I'm not jealous of those out west...

Cgertz

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, MME AWD ER, ID4
Occupation
Technical support engineer
Country flag
I had the XPEL PRIME XR PLUS installed before leaving for a cross country trip. Went with 30% which is lighter then the factory back windows but wanted to stay legal for Washington state. Cost was $300.00 for both front windows.

Before heading across the country we did a test trip to Yellowstone before getting the film installed. Didn't care for the heat coming in from the side, which was the deciding factor. The temperature before and after is very noticeable. No regrets on the type, percentage, or price. Don't have really great pictures to show the tint difference but this will give you some idea.
Ford Mustang Mach-E To tint or not? Any regrets? 20210621_110716
Ford Mustang Mach-E To tint or not? Any regrets? 20210615_180628

OP
OP
Fury16

Fury16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
Make sure it is legal in your state - in California, it is not. You can tint the fronts, but not very dark. It would be a shame to get busted and have to take it off.

I think it would make the car look good, but I would not like not being able to see out very well. IMHO it's a safety issue, but it depends on how dark, of course.
Yes, in Oklahoma front side windows should be 25%. We do experience frequent sunny hot weather but we also always park in the garage. We definitely do not want to go much darker than factory.

OP
OP
Fury16

Fury16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
I had the XPEL PRIME XR PLUS installed before leaving for a cross country trip. Went with 30% which is lighter then the factory back windows but wanted to stay legal for Washington state. Cost was $300.00 for both front windows.

Before heading across the country we did a test trip to Yellowstone before getting the film installed. Didn't care for the heat coming in from the side, which was the deciding factor. The temperature before and after is very noticeable. No regrets on the type, percentage, or price. Don't have really great pictures to show the tint difference but this will give you some idea.
Looks great, thanks for the pics! I wouldn’t mind going a shade lighter on the fronts. That price seems reasonable as well.

djett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
Just got mine done. Asked for front tint to match back windows. I had other work done at same time, will need to pull the invoice if you're interested in the cost.
Ford Mustang Mach-E To tint or not? Any regrets? IMG_20210627_170118_626

OP
OP
Fury16

Fury16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
Just got mine done. Asked for front tint to match back windows. I had other work done at same time, will need to pull the invoice if you're interested in the cost.
Looks great, thanks for the info!

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
We are trying to decide on whether to tint the two front windows to match the factory tint on the rear windows. We have a local installer that offers Xpel XR plus. Has anyone used this tint? Any regrets? For anyone who has tinted front windows, would you mind sharing approximate cost? We think it will look great on our rapid red MME.

73A09DFB-1122-4620-8F84-E14C4774420B.jpeg

5F0ABB7E-4522-4C40-B590-743B9293CD9D.jpeg
I am not familiar with the XPel product but I have had 3M ceramic tint on other vehicles and the thermal rejection was great even with lighter shades of tint. YMMV.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag

I had xpel XR plus. Great tint. 3M crystalline is also excellent. If you don't need the max heat rejection you could save a few bucks by going with xpel XR (non plus)

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag

I had the left and right front sides tinted literally right after delivery. 35% light pass through is the maximum allowed out here. The color matches the rear sides though is somewhat, but not obviously, lighter. I’d do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Added bonus: fingerprints on the big screen are very hard to see without direct light.

Al-E

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB Premium ER/RWD Mustang Mach E '21
Occupation
Coffee
Country flag
Is there any tint or coating that people add to the sunroof or is the IRR it comes with good enough? What about a protector for the top, like Brays for the windshield?

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Is there any tint or coating that people add to the sunroof or is the IRR it comes with good enough? What about a protector for the top, like Brays for the windshield?
This has been discussed a lot. Living in Phoenix I have not felt any need to add anything to the roof. I've also heard more than once that tinting a sunroof, especially when it has IR coatings, can cause it to break.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag

In PA, the tint laws are extremely vague and unenforced.
I went with 20% on the fronts to match the factory rears; this was XPEL tint.
Pics below before, and then 2 after shots.
Ford Mustang Mach-E To tint or not? Any regrets? PXL_20210614_200403875
Ford Mustang Mach-E To tint or not? Any regrets? PXL_20210614_232056748
Ford Mustang Mach-E To tint or not? Any regrets? PXL_20210615_171228482