Papapoil

First Name
Stéphane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach E Select RWD Grabber Blue
Country flag
I once had a 1988 Dodge Omni with two keys: one for the ignition and one for the doors (as was the case with all American cars of the time). With my door key, I could open 90% of the Dodge Omni/Plymouth Horizon in my neighborhood (but not start the car). 😁😁😁
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I once had a 1988 Dodge Omni with two keys: one for the ignition and one for the doors (as was the case with all American cars of the time). With my door key, I could open 90% of the Dodge Omni/Plymouth Horizon in my neighborhood (but not start the car). 😁😁😁
In the mid 70s, Ford have a fixed number of keys that were used. We had few that matched.

The Black Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Select Mach E+Comfort and Tech, 2015 Mini Cooper
Country flag
I'd rather the one in a million chance of this happening than the 2 times a week my cars screen needs to be manually reset.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
In the mid 70s, Ford have a fixed number of keys that were used. We had few that matched.
Back in the 80's I took my friend's key so that I could store my tennis racquets in his trunk. Turns out Toyota only had so many keys and it just happened that another car that looked like his was in the parking lot also had the same key. Long story short, the owner got a new set of tennis racquets.

RagingDork

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT Dark Matter Grey
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm a little suspicious. How did the owner get the guy's number to text him? How did the owner know who took his car? There's more to this story.

If this story is legit, my guess is that the owner left his phone (or his partner's phone in the car) hence the car was unlocked and ready to go.
When I worked as a valet before if a customer took off with their keys sometimes we would look for a business card or some phone number to contact them.

Jack Roberts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GT
Country flag
Tesla Driver Accidentally Drives Off in Stranger's Car

Vancouver resident says he 'found some glitch' in how Tesla's app works.

By Steve Huff, Newser Staff
Posted Mar 14, 2023 4:32 PM CDT

A Tesla owner experienced an unsettling issue using the company's app to unlock and drive his white Model 3—it let him unlock and drive someone else's EV instead. "Apparently," Rajesh Randev of Vancouver tells Global News, "I found some glitch." In an interview with the Washington Post, the 51-year-old immigration consultant described unlocking a car virtually identical to his and driving for 15 minutes before receiving a text from an unfamiliar number. The texter told him he was "driving the wrong car," and he was. Randev said he informed Tesla of the problem and decided to speak to the press about it because the automaker didn't respond.

Randev's shock at what happened was evident when he spoke to the Post. His Model 3 is "such an expensive car," he said. “More than $70,000 to get this car. And my family is not feeling safe right now.” At the time of the incident, the driver of the Tesla Randev accidentally took was Mohammed Esaeyh, brother to the car's owner, Mahmoud. Mohammed says the app glitch worked both ways, telling the Post that he was able to use his brother's keycard to enter Randev's vehicle.

If there's a lighter side to the story, it is that once he and Mahmoud Esaeyh were in touch, Randev ended up asking if he could keep the Tesla long enough to pick up his kids from school. "We were both laughing," Randev tells Global News. He adds, though, that he's worried about the hacking implications. At Forbes, Josh Max sounds a similar note of concern. He himself has gotten into the wrong car accidentally before realizing his mistake, "and I bet some of you have, too." Those weren't Teslas, and there was no harm done. "But had I been able to start and drive, I probably would have."
This is not a new problem. My Next door neighbor bought a new 1959 Chevy. His wife was shooing and went back to the parking lot and drove home. About two hours later the Police arrived to tell them that they had the wrong car. She was parked two spaces from an identical 1959 Chevy and the keys were identical and would open and start both cars.

CAL465

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach e Premium
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think Wi-Fi anywhere is more dangerous. I would not connect to any other Wi-Fi then my own. I keep it off 99% of the time. I do the same for my hotspot too.
Sponsored