Toll pass placement?

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
I got the clean Air Utah pass, that allows me to ride Solo in the HOV lane... trouble is though, it uses the toll pass system and as it is currently placed, the RFID tag has trouble reading. My guess is that something about the camera array is blocking it...

Living in Utah, toll passes are extremely uncommon and I have no experience with them... Any suggestions on different placement so that the RFID tag can be read?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Toll pass placement? 20211110_142825
Sponsored

TuxToaster

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue MME Premium ER AWD
Country flag
What @generaltso said. There was a fair bit of testing and the visor areas to the right and left of the sensor area are the only options, the coating interferes anywhere else.

Also, good luck removing the pass to move it... it may be better when new but at least when I've had to remove my previous ones for windshield replacements and car trades, it seems to be designed for the RFID element to separate from the backing and break into pieces to avoid reuse.... so you may have to request a replacement decal.

OP
OP
mpshizzle

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
What @generaltso said. There was a fair bit of testing and the visor areas to the right and left of the sensor area are the only options, the coating interferes anywhere else.

Also, good luck removing the pass to move it... it may be better when new but at least when I've had to remove my previous ones for windshield replacements and car trades, it seems to be designed for the RFID element to separate from the backing and break into pieces to avoid reuse.... so you may have to request a replacement decal.
Yup... That's exactly what happened. And when I tried to remove it the RFID element it just started to fall apart ?

TuxToaster

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yup... That's exactly what happened. And when I tried to remove it the RFID element it just started to fall apart ?
Oof. They'll send you a replacement easily enough... but you have to send them everything back similarly to doing a transfer (permit and external decal included). What I'm not sure about is if they'll require you to pay another $10 fee for the replacement or not. You may want to contact them and explain the situation and see if they'll issue you a replacement. Not sure if the forum allows phone numbers or emails but they're listed at the bottom of the page here: https://udottraffic.utah.gov/CDecal

OP
OP
mpshizzle

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
Oof. They'll send you a replacement easily enough... but you have to send them everything back similarly to doing a transfer (permit and external decal included). What I'm not sure about is if they'll require you to pay another $10 fee for the replacement or not. You may want to contact them and explain the situation and see if they'll issue you a replacement. Not sure if the forum allows phone numbers or emails but they're listed at the bottom of the page here: https://udottraffic.utah.gov/CDecal
Thanks for the tip! Yeah I sent them an email along with the picture of how it's placed, so hopefully they'll get back to me today. Technically I did place it exactly where the instructions told me to..

You can bet next time around I'm bringing a passenger to hold the sticker up to the windshield to test placement before I stick it on ?

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for the tip! Yeah I sent them an email along with the picture of how it's placed, so hopefully they'll get back to me today. Technically I did place it exactly where the instructions told me to..

You can bet next time around I'm bringing a passenger to hold the sticker up to the windshield to test placement before I stick it on ?
I used scotch tape to hold mine up until it worked

TuxToaster

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'll admit to having considered sticking them to a transparent film or something so that they'd be easily movable for exactly this reason... but haven't actually tried it before.

OP
OP
mpshizzle

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
That's a great idea! TBH I feel it's kinda silly anyway as I have NEVER NOT ONCE seen HOV/Toll lane enforcement anyway ?
Sponsored