Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Market Research
Country flag
https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e

Conclusion...

More than just a snappy dresser, Ford's all-electric 2021 Mustang Mach-E has the brains and brawn to contend with Tesla's offerings. Its fashion sense will initially attract buyers, but it's the vehicle's solid handling, well-mannered infotainment system, and superior technology systems that will keep them happy.

Brofessional

Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Veloster N, 12 Accord V6, 18 Yukon
Country flag
https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e

Conclusion...

More than just a snappy dresser, Ford's all-electric 2021 Mustang Mach-E has the brains and brawn to contend with Tesla's offerings. Its fashion sense will initially attract buyers, but it's the vehicle's solid handling, well-mannered infotainment system, and superior technology systems that will keep them happy.
From the article:

"With a rated 270-mile 88 kWh extended range battery, in day-to-day driving we received full-charge estimates of 207 to 239 miles... ...We found the estimates were quite accurate, but if you don't, you can go into the car's settings and delete the driving history."

I'm going out on a limb and say the authors didn't bother to extrapolate anything or they're just awful at math, as they state they'd "like more range."

I've scoured all media I can find regarding real world range as I have a few longer commutes that I needed to be sure I can traverse without needing to charge, and these are on highways that most travel near 85 mph.

The absolute worst case scenario for range I have been able to find has been a YouTube video from Car Maniac in Germany, which I believe was posted here at some point. He took a 1000km trip on the autobahn in cold temps, much of it in the rain, at average speeds between 87-93 mph. He got 2.3 miles/kWh, which extrapolates to 202 miles of range for all 88 kWh.

No way these chumps got an "accurate" 207 range estimate unless they were operating well outside legal speeds. My guess though is probably just lazy writing to make a publishing deadline.

buzznwood

Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & rs
Country flag
No way these chumps got an "accurate" 207 range estimate unless they were operating well outside legal speeds. My guess though is probably just lazy writing to make a publishing deadline.
While there is no doubt with all reviews bias so using either best cases and worst cases it is easy to make a product look good bad, I however can see it being quite easy in cold weather to get poor range, not everybody will want to be be siting in a blanket maximizing range and could quite easily have the cabin heat cranked up to the max, while the font seats and steering wheel are heated there are no heated rear seats and some people may just prefer the cabin to be nice and toasty as they can with an ICE without issue.

85mph is no derestricted autobahn, but then with a top of 112mph the mach-e is will not be spending any significant time it the outside lane of an autobahn either as it will be holding up the fast stuff, but how flat was the autobahn section was there a head wind tails winds, it is very easy for the range to take a hit on the 85mph stretch you need to cover based on topology and wind conditions.

With BEVS there is a vey large delta between each persons use case that can make or break what they think is acceptable range, so fully understand looking at the worst case to make a decision depending on how long you expect to keep the vehicle you also have to take potential battery degradation into account, go in optimistic and you could easily get disappointed go in pessimistic and you will probably be fine.

Advertisement

Advertisement