Too early to reserve? (Mach E wanted 7/2021)

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
What happens if Ford delivers the 2,000 + dealer demos to their lots in Nov. And they are an overwhelming success --- each dealer averages 5+ orders in a week or so, say well over 10,000 orders.

Now Ford has way more orders and previous Premium, Select & CA reservation holders (who were told they have until Dec 31 to convert to an order) to complete with the 2021 battery supply.

So who gets a vehicle and who wait until 2022 battery supply?
The orders in hand. Ford outright told us all to convert to an order by the end of august to guarantee your place in line. If you wait beyond that to convert your order, then you're taking the risk you just cited.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
There was only supposed to be one crew to build the Mache. When the orders went through the roof ford called the suppliers and started hiring for b crew back in April.
Now that IS interesting. Good to hear, I definitely would like to see the Mach E be a huge success for Ford.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Now that IS interesting. Good to hear, I definitely would like to see the Mach E be a huge success for Ford.
What confuses me with that though is what good does it do to add more shifts if they're still capped at 50,000 battery packs for MY2021?

Seems like it either means they think they can get more batteries. Or that even though they had enough batteries secured for 50,000 MMEs, they thought demand might be much lower. Thus maybe they only initially set the single-shift capacity for 25,000 or something with the ability to double it if demand warranted (which apparently is now has)?

(Knowing that if demand were <50k, they could allocated the leftover batteries to the BEV Transit.)

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
What confuses me with that though is what good does it do to add more shifts if they're still capped at 50,000 battery packs for MY2021?

Seems like it either means they think they can get more batteries. Or that even though they had enough batteries secured for 50,000 MMEs, they thought demand might be much lower. Thus maybe they only initially set the single-shift capacity for 25,000 or something with the ability to double it if demand warranted (which apparently is now has)?

(Knowing that if demand were <50k, they could allocated the leftover batteries to the BEV Transit.)
Or maybe they would have just produced them more slowly since some would end up sitting on dealer lots anyway?

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag

more jobs added quality control. Labor is cheaper down there also. So let's just say ford can afford to do whatever is needed to get the product out. As of right now, the battery problem is not a problem.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Or maybe they would have just produced them more slowly since some would end up sitting on dealer lots anyway?
More slowly to pace themselves for a year-round operation, yes, that's what I would have expected -- a pace that produces all 50,000 more evenly throughout the rest of the model year so you're not paying thousands of employees to not produce by hitting 50,000 "too early".

Although they did lose a few months in this model year, so maybe that explains part of why they're apparently adding shifts - to catch up to the originally planned pace.

Still though, all the extra shifts trutilife27 describes sounds like more than just catch-up. I'm beginning to suspect they may have been able to secure more batteries than originally planned. COVID threw a wrench in a lot of manufacturers' plans. Maybe the battery producers lost less production to COVID than the BEV manufacturers.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
They may also have signed a contract to guarantee 50,000 batteries but with an open clause to add a certain quantities if needed, who knows?

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag
I appreciate the earlier answers as to when to order a Select to time a July 2021 lease expiration. On one hand, if it came earlier than I needed in the spring it wouldn't be all that bad since my monthly lease for my i3 is only $170/mo. OTOH, using the extra three month option on my lease to take it to October 2021 and delaying a Mach-E order would make my wife feel more comfortable since she'd like to actually see a one before moving forward.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Popping this back up...still looking to see if now is too early to order for an August/September delivery?
It is borderline too late, unless you get lucky and get one from a cancelled order.

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
It is borderline too late, unless you get lucky and get one from a cancelled order.
Thank you for your input. I placed the order a few minutes ago.

i-nd9sWn6-M.jpg

My Clarity lease is up in October of 2021 and I can go without it for a couple of months after that if I need too.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
Country flag
Don't be surprised if it shows up several months earlier than you are expecting, especially with a Premium model. Ford hasn't made any indication that demand outpaces supply like they have for the Bronco. In fact, they are lowering the price which is likely a sign of weaker than expected demand.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thank you for your input. I placed the order a few minutes ago.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Too early to reserve? (Mach E wanted 7/2021) i-nd9sWn6-M

My Clarity lease is up in October of 2021 and I can go without it for a couple of months after that if I need too.
It's so hard to tell, but I agree it's worth ordering now just in case. But when you talk with the dealer, I'd make sure that the deposit is fully refundable such that if it surprisingly shows up in April and it's too early for you, you can cancel with no penalty.

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
Don't be surprised if it shows up several months earlier than you are expecting, especially with a Premium model. Ford hasn't made any indication that demand outpaces supply like they have for the Bronco. In fact, they are lowering the price which is likely a sign of weaker than expected demand.
I waited this long to place the order and was getting the feeling I may have waited too long for my timeframe goals. I will be watching its process very carefully. The dealership has indicated I can refuse it even after it gets delivered. If it is early by only a month or two, they will save it for me. They did that for an Escape a few years ago for me when it showed up faster than planned.

It's so hard to tell, but I agree it's worth ordering now just in case. But when you talk with the dealer, I'd make sure that the deposit is fully refundable such that if it surprisingly shows up in April and it's too early for you, you can cancel with no penalty.
Yes, the deposit is fully refundable. I have purchased/leased my last five vehicles with them. I will be surprised if it shows up that fast. Thank you for your input.
Sponsored