Reaction score
Website
ericsmalling.com
Vehicles
`21 MME Prem 4X w/GTPE wheels,`22 Hyundai Palisade
Occupation
Solutions Architect (software)
Country flag
TL;DR: Ford software can randomly be unreliable and the availability of fast CCS charging is still lagging far behind Tesla here in Texas. Unless these things improve on both fronts I'll just take our ICE SUV for future long trips.

Long-winded version:
I took a road trip to Tyler, TX, and back yesterday which is about 272 miles round-trip (I'm in north-Fort Worth) w/out extra miles to get to/from chargers. This is my second time doing this trip and the first time since the weather has cooled off so I thought it would be interesting to see how range differs. It's also the first long-range drive I've taken since the 1.7.1 upgrade, (not that I thought that would have much/any impact.)

The first time I drove this route, it was August and my GOM was predicting that I'd get about 310 miles on 100% SOC. I knew that was overly optimistic but I did do pretty well with only a quick, 10-minute top-off charge at an evGo station on the return trip to get me home with about 10 miles range remaining. (80 MPH sucks battery down!)

This time, the GOM was much more conservative as we have had a lot of cool mornings in the mid-to-upper 30s. Also, my tire pressure had crept down to about 31 PSI which doesn't help range either. I don't remember the exact estimate it gave me as I set off but I think it was near 265. So I aired up those tires and hit the road around 11:30 am with nice 70Âş temps for most of the day. With such mild temp's I figured the range would be pretty close to (or maybe better) than what I saw in August (it was, see logs below).

Both the Ford nav and ABRP were saying I needed to hit a 25KW evGo charger on the outskirts of Dallas on the way out to give me enough range for the return leg. Then, on the return, I planned to hit the Electrify America (EA) station in Royce City for a ~30-minute charge to get me home. I decided to go out of my way and hit that EA charger both ways so that I'd know where it is and to make sure it worked before committing to it. That added about 50 minutes to my trip since it was so far out of the way but it was my choice so I can't complain too much about that. This was my first time using an EA station and it was nice, nobody ICING the spots and easy to find. The first two chargers I tried gave me the dreaded, "charge fault", error so I moved to another spot and the 3rd one worked fine.

The outbound trip out was fine but when I set off on the return leg, I had a bunch of challenges that were very frustrating.

First of all, CarPlay screen projection just stopped working. The audio would play and it said it was connected but the center screen was completely blank in the CarPlay app. I tried rebooting the phone, turning the MME off and on and disabling wireless CarPlay but nothing fixed it.

So, using the Ford nav, it wanted me to stop at the same evGo CCS charger it had chosen back in August but I wanted to do the EA one instead because: a.) I have the Ford credit there and, b.) that evGo charger is not in the best part of town to be hanging out at after dark. It was then that I discovered that there is no apparent way to tell the Ford Nav system to use a different charger so I just set my destination to that EA station directly.

I made it there with 4% SOC (~10 miles) and charged until I had about 30 miles more GOM range than I needed to get home; this took me to 31% SOC in about 12 minutes. (FWIW, charging started at 125Kw but settled to 105Kw for most of the session)

Back on the road, CarPlay was still not working, so I told Ford Nav to route me home. Its extra-conservative algorithm, though, did not like how few miles I had just added so it wanted to route me about 10 miles out of my way to another CCS charger and—for the life of me—I could not figure out a way to tell it to remove that charger stop. Instead, I used Siri to start my iPhone nav to home but only had the instrument cluster turn-by-turn to route me home. (that still worked, even though the center one was blank). Luckily I know the area well enough and the Ford nav had accurate traffic coloring so I could correlate that map with the route my phone was suggesting.

I ended up getting home with about 4% SOC remaining.

The car itself performed flawlessly, it's a wonderful highway cruiser. The software issues, though, are getting on my nerves. I'm not sure if it's Apple or Ford's issue but they need to sort this CarPlay stuff out. On my usual short, in-town during it's a minor annoyance when it doesn't work but when you have hours of driving it's a real headache. Maybe this is why Telsa eschews CarPlay and Android Auto.

Also, I understand that this particular route is an anecdotal problem given the lack of high-speed CCS charging along I-20 between DFW and Shreveport; but that fact is that if I were in a Tesla, I would have had a short (10 min's or less) Supercharger break, right there in Tyler, and not had to worry about it. People often discount the value of the Supercharger network but if I had to take more road trips I would be in a Tesla right now instead of the MME (or simply driving an ICE). Maybe the rumors of Superchargers being made available to us will come true, that would be nice.

Oh, and I thought I'd be able to just pull up my "Journeys" log in the FordPass app to report on how my range went... but this morning it says that I have had no journeys since October 22 (almost a month ago). :rolleyes: ...even though I've driven nearly 1000 miles since then and I've not changed my settings. Yet another software bug, apparently.

Come on, Ford! In many ways, my old Gen 1 Chevy Volt's software was more functional than this. Step it up and fix this crap!

My logs for this trip:
  • Started with ~265 mi range estimate
  • Home to EA station, Royce City: 66 mi
  • Added 13 mi at EA station
  • EA Station -> destination in Tyler: 92 mi
  • Tyler -> same EA station: 88 mi (took different route)
  • Added 71 mi at EA station
  • EA station -> home: 66 mi
  • Ended with ~10 mi range estimate
Totals:
  • 312 mi driven
  • estimated 84 miles added at chargers
  • 260 + 84 - 10 = 334 (not too far off the actual)
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
  • Disable the "automatically add charger to route" in the Ford nav
  • You can reboot the infotainment screen by holding down the "right seek" and "volume down" buttons for 5 to 10 seconds. that should have rebooted the infotainment so you could have used carplay
  • I would have stayed at the EA stop for 5 more minutes to ensure you had more than you needed
  • preplan your trips with abetterrouteplanner.com, which does a far better job than the Ford nav by picking faster chargers over closer slow one. you can also explicitly configure ABRP not to use a specific charger

OP
OP
ericNdfw

ericNdfw

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ericsmalling.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
  • Disable the "automatically add charger to route" in the Ford nav
  • You can reboot the infotainment screen by holding down the "right seek" and "volume down" buttons for 5 to 10 seconds. that should have rebooted the infotainment so you could have used carplay
Disabling that is a good suggestion but wasn't something I wanted to try at 65MPH. Would be better if I could just tap an "X" next to it or something.

I was apprehensive about rebooting the infotainment system away from home. FWIW, that probably would have worked as this morning, it's working fine. (I assume it effectively rebooted overnight) I shouldn't *have* to reboot it though, it should just work.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I was apprehensive about rebooting the infotainment system away from home. FWIW, that probably would have worked as this morning, it's working fine. (I assume it effectively rebooted overnight) I shouldn't *have* to reboot it though, it should just work.
I've actually done it while driving at 73 mph, so it isn't really a big deal :)

As for disabling the "insert chargers automatically", yes that is something you can at home. And yes the software "should just work", but I am guessing that you are unfamiliar with how software typically is buggiest when first released and then matures over time?

OP
OP
ericNdfw

ericNdfw

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ericsmalling.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I've actually done it while driving at 73 mph, so it isn't really a big deal :)

As for disabling the "insert chargers automatically", yes that is something you can at home. And yes the software "should just work", but I am guessing that you are unfamiliar with how software typically is buggiest when first released and then matures over time?
30+ year enterprise software developer here so I know very well how buggy software can be. I also know that when you put something on the market against a competitor like Tesla that has been at it for decade+ , you need to focus on user experience because we will forgive issues for a while but they have had almost a year to solve these things.

What I do see is Tesla following an iterative software release practice where small fixes are released often. Ford, on the other hand, has pushed one OTA update for my car since I got it 5 months ago which feels like a legacy, waterfall practice that we, as a software industry have largely left behind years ago.

Ford makes a better car that is hindered by the small tech issues that are just not being addressed.

OnceYouGo

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD, Job 1
Country flag
30+ year enterprise software developer here so I know very well how buggy software can be. I also know that when you put something on the market against a competitor like Tesla that has been at it for decade+ , you need to focus on user experience because we will forgive issues for a while but they have had almost a year to solve these things.

What I do see is Tesla following an iterative software release practice where small fixes are released often. Ford, on the other hand, has pushed one OTA update for my car since I got it 5 months ago which feels like a legacy, waterfall practice that we, as a software industry have largely left behind years ago.

Ford makes a better car that is hindered by the small tech issues that are just not being addressed.
@ericNdfw - you missed his point, you are wrong and the MME is perfect :p

What do you think will happen first: Tesla, a world class software company, becomes a word class manufacturer OR Ford becomes a world class software company?

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag

I spent a couple hours on YouTube last night looking at MME posts. I noted a distinct change in tone on many of the posts that Ford should be taking action on. People that were gushing about the car 6 months ago are posting they are beginning to have regrets. The theme is the same in most of these…. Software is unstable and Ford is making no progress on fixing it. Seconded by the charge network cannot be relied on.

In my view the software doesn’t have to be perfect but there needs to be steady progress and there is very little (none?)

who does Big Bang waterfall development these days?

why aren’t already shipped cars updated OTA to match new production?

how does the exec in charge of this stay employed?

Jimct

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Kona EV, Mustang Mach e ordered 4/8/21
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There needs to be a major push to have chargers installed in every highway service stop. This having to leave the interstates to navigate to remote McDonalds or WalMarts is getting tired fast.

OP
OP
ericNdfw

ericNdfw

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ericsmalling.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
@ericNdfw - you missed his point, you are wrong and the MME is perfect :p

What do you think will happen first: Tesla, a world class software company, becomes a word class manufacturer OR Ford becomes a world class software company?
My Tesla owning friends would say they have already rounded the corner and are past their manufacturing woes.

IB_NYC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext. Range
Country flag
TL;DR: Ford software can randomly be unreliable and the availability of fast CCS charging is still lagging far behind Tesla here in Texas. Unless these things improve on both fronts I'll just take our ICE SUV for future long trips.

Long-winded version:
I took a road trip to Tyler, TX, and back yesterday which is about 272 miles round-trip (I'm in north-Fort Worth) w/out extra miles to get to/from chargers. This is my second time doing this trip and the first time since the weather has cooled off so I thought it would be interesting to see how range differs. It's also the first long-range drive I've taken since the 1.7.1 upgrade, (not that I thought that would have much/any impact.)

The first time I drove this route, it was August and my GOM was predicting that I'd get about 310 miles on 100% SOC. I knew that was overly optimistic but I did do pretty well with only a quick, 10-minute top-off charge at an evGo station on the return trip to get me home with about 10 miles range remaining. (80 MPH sucks battery down!)

This time, the GOM was much more conservative as we have had a lot of cool mornings in the mid-to-upper 30s. Also, my tire pressure had crept down to about 31 PSI which doesn't help range either. I don't remember the exact estimate it gave me as I set off but I think it was near 265. So I aired up those tires and hit the road around 11:30 am with nice 70Âş temps for most of the day. With such mild temp's I figured the range would be pretty close to (or maybe better) than what I saw in August (it was, see logs below).

Both the Ford nav and ABRP were saying I needed to hit a 25KW evGo charger on the outskirts of Dallas on the way out to give me enough range for the return leg. Then, on the return, I planned to hit the Electrify America (EA) station in Royce City for a ~30-minute charge to get me home. I decided to go out of my way and hit that EA charger both ways so that I'd know where it is and to make sure it worked before committing to it. That added about 50 minutes to my trip since it was so far out of the way but it was my choice so I can't complain too much about that. This was my first time using an EA station and it was nice, nobody ICING the spots and easy to find. The first two chargers I tried gave me the dreaded, "charge fault", error so I moved to another spot and the 3rd one worked fine.

The outbound trip out was fine but when I set off on the return leg, I had a bunch of challenges that were very frustrating.

First of all, CarPlay screen projection just stopped working. The audio would play and it said it was connected but the center screen was completely blank in the CarPlay app. I tried rebooting the phone, turning the MME off and on and disabling wireless CarPlay but nothing fixed it.

So, using the Ford nav, it wanted me to stop at the same evGo CCS charger it had chosen back in August but I wanted to do the EA one instead because: a.) I have the Ford credit there and, b.) that evGo charger is not in the best part of town to be hanging out at after dark. It was then that I discovered that there is no apparent way to tell the Ford Nav system to use a different charger so I just set my destination to that EA station directly.

I made it there with 4% SOC (~10 miles) and charged until I had about 30 miles more GOM range than I needed to get home; this took me to 31% SOC in about 12 minutes. (FWIW, charging started at 125Kw but settled to 105Kw for most of the session)

Back on the road, CarPlay was still not working, so I told Ford Nav to route me home. Its extra-conservative algorithm, though, did not like how few miles I had just added so it wanted to route me about 10 miles out of my way to another CCS charger and—for the life of me—I could not figure out a way to tell it to remove that charger stop. Instead, I used Siri to start my iPhone nav to home but only had the instrument cluster turn-by-turn to route me home. (that still worked, even though the center one was blank). Luckily I know the area well enough and the Ford nav had accurate traffic coloring so I could correlate that map with the route my phone was suggesting.

I ended up getting home with about 4% SOC remaining.

The car itself performed flawlessly, it's a wonderful highway cruiser. The software issues, though, are getting on my nerves. I'm not sure if it's Apple or Ford's issue but they need to sort this CarPlay stuff out. On my usual short, in-town during it's a minor annoyance when it doesn't work but when you have hours of driving it's a real headache. Maybe this is why Telsa eschews CarPlay and Android Auto.

Also, I understand that this particular route is an anecdotal problem given the lack of high-speed CCS charging along I-20 between DFW and Shreveport; but that fact is that if I were in a Tesla, I would have had a short (10 min's or less) Supercharger break, right there in Tyler, and not had to worry about it. People often discount the value of the Supercharger network but if I had to take more road trips I would be in a Tesla right now instead of the MME (or simply driving an ICE). Maybe the rumors of Superchargers being made available to us will come true, that would be nice.

Oh, and I thought I'd be able to just pull up my "Journeys" log in the FordPass app to report on how my range went... but this morning it says that I have had no journeys since October 22 (almost a month ago). :rolleyes: ...even though I've driven nearly 1000 miles since then and I've not changed my settings. Yet another software bug, apparently.

Come on, Ford! In many ways, my old Gen 1 Chevy Volt's software was more functional than this. Step it up and fix this crap!

My logs for this trip:
  • Started with ~265 mi range estimate
  • Home to EA station, Royce City: 66 mi
  • Added 13 mi at EA station
  • EA Station -> destination in Tyler: 92 mi
  • Tyler -> same EA station: 88 mi (took different route)
  • Added 71 mi at EA station
  • EA station -> home: 66 mi
  • Ended with ~10 mi range estimate
Totals:
  • 312 mi driven
  • estimated 84 miles added at chargers
  • 260 + 84 - 10 = 334 (not too far off the actual)
What's "ABRP"?

I just got the 1.7.1 update yesterday and first time driving it afterwards my main screen froze while driving. Never had that happen before. Pulled over and restarted the car. Seemed fine afterwards. Annoying though. Rather have a screen that doesn't freeze vs being able to draw on the screen lol

OP
OP
ericNdfw

ericNdfw

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ericsmalling.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
There needs to be a major push to have chargers installed in every highway service stop. This having to leave the interstates to navigate to remote McDonalds or WalMarts is getting tired fast.
Yeah. Having a single bank of chargers every 150 miles or so also is not as convenient as gas stations. If that station is 100% in use or having technical issues then you better hope you have enough range to get to the next one.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
A major push you say?

Like $7.5 billion dollars of government money approved in a infrastructure bill that they should vote on and approve in early November 2021?

Make sure to write and thank your congressional representative.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nc/ch...tric-vehicle-charging-stations--is-it-enough-

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
Did you guys hear about this? Not even the Tesla Technoking is not without his worldwide software problems.:)

OP, at least you had your MME available to drive.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-server-outage-no-start-cars-elon-musk/

From Friday.
Based on several posts on Twitter, it seems that Tesla owners around the world are reporting not being able to connect their phone to their vehicle or, in some cases, not even being able to start the car.
https://electrek.co/2021/11/19/tesla-suffers-nationwide-app-server-outage-owners-cant-connect-cars/

Electrek received several reports from owners reporting the issue late in Friday afternoon and all 4 Tesla owners on staff couldn’t connect to their cars through the app – myself included:
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/tesla-drivers-report-locked-server-outage-rcna6205
Sponsored