pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Exactly. Reliability & warranty. That's why the GT PE is going to have similar numbers because they have to balance performance and reliability.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mtxpert

mtxpert

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I heard in the video that you had traction control OFF, which would have been my first question. ;)

second question is whether or not you held w Brake, and hit throttle one light early, releasing brake at the light......or just stomped throttle at the light?
The fastest launch is to hold the brake and then floor it, it'll surge then nothing - like a trans brake. Lift the brake pedal and go was the fastest it went off the line. I'm assuming I could hook up a thumb switch to the brake light and it would to the same thing so I could launch off a thumb trigger. Would be hilarous.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
The fastest launch is to hold the brake and then floor it, it'll surge then nothing - like a trans brake. Lift the brake pedal and go was the fastest it went off the line. I'm assuming I could hook up a thumb switch to the brake light and it would to the same thing so I could launch off a thumb trigger. Would be hilarous.
Wow, let me get this straight: From a stop and in drive, you pressed down on the brake, then you pressed down all the way down on the accelerator? By "surge" you don't mean surge forward, right? You mean you could hear the motors make a brief noise struggling to overcome the brakes but without success, then some internal control made the motor stop struggling/churning? Then let your foot off the brake and WHAM, the Mustang took off quicker than usual?

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
The friction brakes are not strong enough to hold down my car when I mash the throttle. Don't ask how I know.:confused:

OP
OP
mtxpert

mtxpert

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Wow, let me get this straight: From a stop and in drive, you pressed down on the brake, then you pressed down all the way down on the accelerator? By "surge" you don't mean surge forward, right? You mean you could hear the motors make a brief noise struggling to overcome the brakes but without success, then some internal control made the motor stop struggling/churning? Then let your foot off the brake and WHAM, the Mustang took off quicker than usual?
Correct, car tried to move forward and then stopped and was silent until I lifted my foot off the brake, accelerator was floored the whole time.
I presume the Edge you were up against was an ST?
Yes, he did a big burnout to stage and then got dusted :)
The friction brakes are not strong enough to hold down my car when I mash the throttle. Don't ask how I know.:confused:
Weird, mine are.

MG101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
a car
Country flag
First off that from a normal day to day driving stand point that seems super dangerous. You would think there would be some built in safety that you would need to cycle the throttle back to "closed" before the car will move again.
But it makes sense that it would take off faster that way. No matter how fast you mash the pedal it still has to go from 0-100% in some amount of time. Having it at the floor starts you at 100%.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
First off that from a normal day to day driving stand point that seems super dangerous. You would think there would be some built in safety that you would need to cycle the throttle back to "closed" before the car will move again.
But it makes sense that it would take off faster that way. No matter how fast you mash the pedal it still has to go from 0-100% in some amount of time. Having it at the floor starts you at 100%.
There's actually nothing unusual about doing this, people have been doing it in ICE cars forever to build boost or get the motor built up with a little pressure before moving.

I'd say the only negative would be possible motor damage if you did it over and over on repeat. Otherwise if you want to really get off the line I'd say go for it.

OP
OP
mtxpert

mtxpert

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The motors disengage at WOT with the brake pressed in less than 1/2 a second, safety built in. I wouldn't be concerned.

Frankie1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT500
Country flag
You're telling me that a Model 3 Performance, which weighs 800 lbs less, cuts a 3.1s 0-60, 11.5 @115 mph quarter, 60 ft on street tires 1.80, and the GT PE will shave off 0.3s from the 3P's time?
where you getting 800 pound weight difference?

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Thumb switch. Go one better an make a device that watches the tree and hits the button for you. Take human latency out of the picture entirely.

OP
OP
mtxpert

mtxpert

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Thumb switch. Go one better an make a device that watches the tree and hits the button for you. Take human latency out of the picture entirely.
I'm used to a transbrake switch on my other vehicles :)

db4z

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Country flag
Brake torquing could be harder on the gearbox as normally the max torque that can be put through it is limited by tire traction, but if you are clamping down on the brakes, that could increase the peak torque between the wheels and the motor being routed through the gearbox. It's why people break things when doing stupid things like towing down the 1/4 mile with an ecu tune because the trailer weight increases traction and therefore peak torque through the drivetrain.

I don't know how much design margin these gearboxes have compared to a conventional rwd automatic or manual, but EVs are direct drive gearboxes with no clutches or torque converters to slip (even multi speed automatics have clutches to change gears). Plus due the response time of electric motors, the impact loads on gears is going to be harder than an engine that has to spin up to peak torque. It might be fine, but use it at your own discretion until we see people running slicks, etc. with no problems.

OP
OP
mtxpert

mtxpert

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Brake torquing could be harder on the gearbox as normally the max torque that can be put through it is limited by tire traction, but if you are clamping down on the brakes, that could increase the peak torque between the wheels and the motor being routed through the gearbox. It's why people break things when doing stupid things like towing down the 1/4 mile with an ecu tune because the trailer weight increases traction and therefore peak torque through the drivetrain.

I don't know how much design margin these gearboxes have compared to a conventional rwd automatic or manual, but EVs are direct drive gearboxes with no clutches or torque converters to slip (even multi speed automatics have clutches to change gears). Plus due the response time of electric motors, the impact loads on gears is going to be harder than an engine that has to spin up to peak torque. It might be fine, but use it at your own discretion until we see people running slicks, etc. with no problems.
There's no gear box first off all...
Second did you try it and see what the vehicle does? As I've said multiple times it shuts off ALL POWER with the brakes applied until you lift off the brake.
Sponsored