Took the Pony for a ride in Northern New England. Fast charging desert

Gene Bank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
Our 2022 MME GT now has 3000 miles. So far not a single problem. Love this car. We are retired and charge at home. Yesterday we took a 175 mile day trip north towards Canada exploring rural northeast Vermont and NH. There are no chargers up there. Nothing in New Hampshire in the northern 1/2 of the state. Hence there are no MME. People gawk and stare and love to ask questions. If we got bricked it would have been quite an adventure. The bottom line is that if you are planning a trip to the Northeast part of Vermont, the Northern half of NH or Western Maine it can not be done unless you know a way to charge up. We made it home fine but I had to keep watching the battery level. Lots of ups and down in elevations too. Still, it was an awesome drive and the car handles so well.

Non Tesla's fast charging is coming to rural areas but it will take some time. We are definitely not there yet in this part of the world.
Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Did you look on Plugshare?

OP
OP

Gene Bank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
There are a few people and campgrounds with a level one plug. That really doesn't help you with 25 mile per hour charging IF they are working and IF no one is already there. I'm not complaining just throwing it out on the forum for anyone thinking of taking their Pony to the Northern Green and White Mountains of Northern New England.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Welcome to my World in Eastern Maine, Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park, a great tourist attraction bringing millions of visitors per year. None here either. The only one in mid northern NH is at a Campground closed in the off season. Too funny but sad. My closest is 100 Miles away in Augusta Maine. North of me, on US Route 1, the next Public level 2 unit is in Canada! I hope I do not forget my passport….

Last edited:

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
We passed through there on a long road trip last fall. Had to get creative. I used my portable charger on a level one outlet on the post of a Tesla charger at a B&B in Freeport. Used L.L. Bean’s level 2’s while eating dinner and shopping. Used a free level 2 at a museum in Bar Harbour. Heading north to Quebec there’s a Chargepoint DCFC (50KW) in Jackman on US 201, a little before the border. While we were in Maine there was a huge campaign against the central corridor utility plan. I guess you Mainers just want to get the theyah from heeya.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I took a trip from Vermont to Ogdensburg, NY over the weekend, which is about 175 miles each way. There's a DCFC in Malone, which is about half way, but it's been broken for months. Luckily, everything went as planned, and I made it there with 75 miles of range to spare, even with the car loaded up with 5 people. An overnight charge at my destination was all I needed to get back home. Not sure I'd do the same trip in the winter though.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Went from DC to Maine last week. Wanted to go thru Battleboro VT and avoid Mass. but just too far for our SR to feel comfortable.

Doing Portland to Mt Washington Tuesday. Should be an envelope pushing adventure.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
We passed through there on a long road trip last fall. Had to get creative. I used my portable charger on a level one outlet on the post of a Tesla charger at a B&B in Freeport. Used L.L. Bean’s level 2’s while eating dinner and shopping. Used a free level 2 at a museum in Bar Harbour. Heading north to Quebec there’s a Chargepoint DCFC (50KW) in Jackman on US 201, a little before the border. While we were in Maine there was a huge campaign against the central corridor utility plan. I guess you Mainers just want to get the theyah from heeya.
Free Level 2 is no longer at the Museum. A local nearby family who Owns a Tesla used it all the time (even at overnight) to free charge their car and it is now gone. Smart move! Bar Harbor has added about 6 Level 2 units, but finding one without a Plug in Hybrid or Tesla attached is a rarity.

I am on a committee and I frequently bring up the need for DCFC limited to 1 hour or 30 minutes, but it keeps getting shot down. "they will stay and charge all day and spend money in town" is the priority.

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
Boston to Montreal through Vermont got easier with recent DCFC stations in Lebanon, White River Junction, and South Burlington.

Going to Canada through Eastern Maine can be a challenge. I stayed at a motel in Seawall (Bar Harbor) that has Level 2 EVSEs. Returning I stayed at a motel in Houlton, Maine that had Level 2 EVSEs.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
The Central corridor was a SHAM. 100% hydro from Canada and a direct pipeline to Massachusetts not a kWh for Maine. No benefit to Maine and the benefit was to MA and the deregulated utility that would get all the T & D for profit. It was a wise move. VT and NH shot it down before us and we did too.

PilotMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Moke, FRS, Prius, FJR, 1966 Shelby Mustang
Country flag
Still don't have my MME yet. Part of my requirement was that I could get to Nags Head NC and back without a charge. When I signed up last January 4th there were no charging stations once I left our area until we got back. Today, 6 months later, there are still no charging stations along the way but there are several now in Nags Head. 2 level 2 are free. It's going to take a while to get the infrastructure in place.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Went from DC to Maine last week. Wanted to go thru Battleboro VT and avoid Mass. but just too far for our SR to feel comfortable.

Doing Portland to Mt Washington Tuesday. Should be an envelope pushing adventure.
Be sure to get the "This Car Climbed Mt Washington" bumper sticker....

OP
OP

Gene Bank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag

That will be interesting. That is also an increase of over 2000 feet in elevation. Good Luck
Sponsored