Top Speed of MachE

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Yeah, I think that may be why the GT was delayed so much. Purely speculation, but I would hope that maybe they have been using the last year to improve on what is not a particularly compelling performance spec - my stock v6 coupe had a top speed of 121. As far as I know ?
I suspect the speed limiter on the GT is where it is due to tire ratings, not because the engineers can’t squeeze higher speed out of the drivetrain. Therefore, I’m frankly not expecting a change in the target top speed of 124 mph.
Sponsored

Rudi

First Name
Optimus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-max Energi
Country flag
in Europe you see more and more car brands limit the top speed of cars to 180 km/h. It's a safety thing. Volvo for example.

xXBernardXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e EB RWD
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I just pegged the accelerator and limited me at 113mph on a straight away… it got there quick then bogged down to 111/110 Booo!!!! ER/RWD Premium.

Wondering when this can be tuned to redline if there’s such a thing?!

jennq

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S/3/Y, Mach e GTP, Canoo/Lightning/R1S Resy
Country flag
in Europe you see more and more car brands limit the top speed of cars to 180 km/h. It's a safety thing. Volvo for example.
Bloody Volvo drivers!

Humphrey

First Name
Humphrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Peugeot 3008
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Top Speed of MachE 20210726_203110

187 km/h was max i got out of the RWD/SR. In the name of science I performed the test 5-6 times on the Afsluitdijk in The Netherland. Unfortunately my fun level was a bit low as there was an Audi Q8 driving just in front of me.... At my max he fired up and drove away. Also multiple times, probably also some science related tests.

Last edited:

RapidRedRoy

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E; Rapid Red
Country flag
I just pegged the accelerator and limited me at 113mph on a straight away… it got there quick then bogged down to 111/110 Booo!!!! ER/RWD Premium.

Confirmed 113MPH on mine as well last week. It did hit 114MPH for a second as the highway dipped down then went back to a steady 113MPH.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag

I think that IS redline - remember that the max motor RPMS are 13,000, and an electric motor produces 0 torque at max RPM (unlike an ICE). I did the math in a few other threads, but at 113 mph you are damn near at the motor’s redline.

I’m convinced that it isn’t tires holding back the top speed - it is the single speed transmission and the motor max RPM. To get a higher top speed you‘d either need a two speed transmission (cost/weight/reliability) or a taller final drive (lower acceleration, slower 0-60, etc.). I’m totally comfortable with the current top speed given the compromises you’d need to make to increase it.

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag
Just a little past history with brushless DC motors;
There is no max RPM, it varies with voltage input. Naturally the structure of the motor has its limitations, bearing size, balance, winding size, all play a part in the ability to produce power and rpms.
Increasing the voltage to produce similar rpms will draw less amperage but produces less torque and more heat. Therefore there needs to be a compromise between available voltage and actual rpm use. My understanding is that Ford used a lower voltage that other manufacturers in order to keep temperatures in check and also to extend the life of the driveline and electronics. Other automaker have opted for higher voltage batteries in order to achieve better range and power.

All this is pretty much useless to us with Mach-E's since we are restricted in the available tires that can both handle the weight of the vehicle, as well as speeds we
"would like to drive at" (only in Mexico of course ;) )

While I have not yet received my Mach-E, I have been into electronic hobbies for the past 30 years, mostly with R/C aircraft and robotics.

Tony

JBaird

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium AWD Extended Range
Occupation
Business owner
Country flag
This top speed limiter is the only drawback I have found owning the Mach E. I'm an old racer and still answer the call whenever it comes up. Quiet frankly there's nothing worse than having a good race in the name of inertia science only to have the Mach E almost nose dive at 113mph! To put this in perspective...our top speed is 1mph faster than a Toyota Prius.

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
This top speed limiter is the only drawback I have found owning the Mach E. I'm an old racer and still answer the call whenever it comes up. Quiet frankly there's nothing worse than having a good race in the name of inertia science only to have the Mach E almost nose dive at 113mph! To put this in perspective...our top speed is 1mph faster than a Toyota Prius.
Patience my friend, there will come a day when the tecno-nerds have a hack for the electronic "Nanny's" currently limiting our fun, and the tire manufacturers will have good tires to handle the speed and weight. We already know the car is aerodynamically sound so pushing that big Aero-Brick thru the air should be a breeze (pun intended)

Tony

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Patience my friend, there will come a day when the tecno-nerds have a hack for the electronic "Nanny's" currently limiting our fun, and the tire manufacturers will have good tires to handle the speed and weight. We already know the car is aerodynamically sound so pushing that big Aero-Brick thru the air should be a breeze (pun intended)

Tony
Heh, a big part of that hack is going to be a taller final drive ratio, since that is the current limiting factor for top end, especially on the GT and GT-PE.

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Heh, a big part of that hack is going to be a taller final drive ratio, since that is the current limiting factor for top end, especially on the GT and GT-PE.
I doubt the limiting factor would be the final drive ratio. Currently I believe its 9.5:1 rear and 9.0:1 front (yes motors run at different rpms to match) In order to get a top speed of 150mph, you would need to increase the motor rpm by approx. 35.135%. With the motors running at max rpms of approx. 12,307.43 at 111mph, increasing that rpm to 16,631.64 rpms.

Now after seeing Munro Live's video on the Mach-E teardowns, the rear motor looks strong enough to handle the extra 4300 rpm. (similar size motor is used in the GT with the same final drive ratio) The only limiting factors would of course be the electronics being able to handle the increased power flow (Amps) and cooling of the motor, electronics and batteries.

With an ICE vehicle lowering the final drive ratio will increase the top end in theory, but it will also take longer to get there, which makes electric motors that much easier to get the performance from, once we learn to bypass the Nanny's:eek:

This of course is all theory based on Fords motor specs and after seeing the motor control modules broken down on the videos, they are limited in the power they can handle.

Me personally, I would love to "bury the speedo" since I do it at least once with all my new cars (last one was my 17' Escape 2.0 Ecoboost timed at 124.5mph) but with the prospect of guiding a four and a half ton vehicle on stock tires anything close to that, I'll pass for now but I do see a trip down the strip some time after I finally get my MME!;)

Tony
Sponsored