First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e gt
Country flag
Curious from Torklift Hitch owners,

Buy and install now or try to wait a bit?

I’m a little worried about clearance issues with a bike rack and would prefer to not use extenders…any chance Torklift would update their model so the hitch sticks out a little Next spring or something? I won’t be riding my bike that much this winter. But if nothing is gonna change, I’d rather just get that going right now.

Tyty
Sponsored

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag

I’m a little worried about clearance issues with a bike rack and would prefer to not use extenders…any chance Torklift would update their model so the hitch sticks out a little Next spring or something? I won’t be riding my bike that much this winter. But if nothing is gonna change, I’d rather just get that going right now.

Tyty
I doubt they would extend it. People generally want the cleanest low profile look.
Some racks like the 1up have an extra clearance position that’s not quite folded all the way up or you can just take the rack off whenever you don’t need it.

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag

Tyty
The hitch Torklift is selling is their "Hidden" design, made to be more tucked away under the bumper. I doubt they will change that design. So far, they have not come out with other models for the Mach E, such as stealth.

Hitches from other manufactures, such as Curt or Draw-Tite may extend further out, if clearance is your main concern, although I'm not sure on that.

I found clearance with the Heavy Duty 1UP rack in the storage position to be very tight but just enough so that I do not need the hitch extender. The clearance with the 1UP Equip-D is a little less, so it doesn't work in storage position without an extender. See the thread on this:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...p-equipd-rack-is-a-tight-fit.8070/post-233960

So, from my experience I can say the combination of the Torklift hitch with the 1UP Heavy Duty Double rack works without an extender. I'm glad I got it done and am very impressed with the build and quality of the Torklift hitch.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Torklift Hitch now or wait? IMG_0231

Frank223

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The hitch Torklift is selling is their "Hidden" design, made to be more tucked away under the bumper. I doubt they will change that design. So far, they have not come out with other models for the Mach E, such as stealth.

Hitches from other manufactures, such as Curt or Draw-Tite may extend further out, if clearance is your main concern, although I'm not sure on that.

I found clearance with the Heavy Duty 1UP rack in the storage position to be very tight but just enough so that I do not need the hitch extender. The clearance with the 1UP Equip-D is a little less, so it doesn't work in storage position without an extender. See the thread on this:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...p-equipd-rack-is-a-tight-fit.8070/post-233960

So, from my experience I can say the combination of the Torklift hitch with the 1UP Heavy Duty Double rack works without an extender. I'm glad I got it done and am very impressed with the build and quality of the Torklift hitch.

IMG_0231.jpg
Hi and sorry for the up, I came from another thread. What a great setup, never thought about it! Is it suitable for 2 or 3 bikes like one of these?

Last edited:

P. T. Magoo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Volt, '22 MME Ca Rt-1
Occupation
Physical Therapist, Freelance Trombonist
Country flag
FWIW, I went with Draw-Tite because it's currently on sale at etrailer.com and handles more tongue weight than Curt, albeit less than the Torklift. I have a bike rack, but also intend to occasionally use a utility trailer.

I figure if it can't pull a wagon, it's got no business calling itself a horse. :cool:

Researched the crap out of all 3 before pulling the trigger.

For bike rack applications, the Curt sticks out the farthest, and will handle 200# tongue weight, certainly enough for a rack and a couple conventional bikes.

With my ICE mustang, the hitch was tucked under the bumper so I needed an extender to use my bike rack. No biggie, I had the extender connected to the bike rack and it worked great.

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
Hi and sorry for the up, I came from another thread. What a great setup, never thought about it! Is it suitable for 2 or 3 bikes?
I got the Heavy Duty Double 1UP rack. It handles two bikes with a 50 lb limit per bike. Can easily add one tray or two tray extenders available from 1UP to go up to four bikes max. I believe each tray has a 50 lb limit, even for the extenders.
Sponsored