Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
We've finally had a break in what seems to be non-stop rain and I was throwing the car through corners much harder than usual, and was rather impressed in the manner that the traction system was applying power with a very pronounced torque vectoring. It's much more sure-footed than ICE systems. Given it's just 2 simple open diffs and the logic is applied by the brakes, I was impressed with the feel of the system while not having other factors like the brakes giving indication that it's in operation. It felt more like it was a per-wheel motor in the rear.

Not sure how / if it fades under heavier track use, but for an always on 'basic' drive system, its logic and function exceeded expectations.

As for those curious as to what torque vectoring is, while in a left turn, the car biases power to the right wheels to push the outside around. It does this by lightly breaking the left wheels. If you've ever driven a vehicle where you're accelerating in a turn, and the inside tire breaks loose because weight is coming off of it, torque vectoring would be braking that loose wheel allowing the wheel with more mass on it to put down more power pulling the outside of the vehicle around. It's sort of like traction control, but much smarter using gyros and other parameters to get the vehicle to do what you're asking of it. The MME is well tuned to do this in a manner where you won't notice it if you're not looking for it, whereas traditionally you'd hear traction kicking on and it's noticeable. Ford tuned the MME very well and it's very fluid providing one of the best systems I've driven.

Admin updated with videos demonstrating eAWD / torque vectoring:
Sponsored

Last edited:

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
We've finally had a break in what seems to be non-stop rain and I was throwing the car through corners much harder than usual was rather impressed in the manner that the traction system was applying power with a very pronounced torque vectoring. It's much more sure-footed than ICE systems. Given it's just 2 simple open diffs and the logic is applied by the brakes, I was impressed with the feel of the system while not having other factors like the brakes giving indication that it's in operation. It felt more like it was a per-wheel motor in the rear.

Not sure how / if it fades under heavier track use, but for an always on 'basic' drive system, its logic and function exceeded expectations.
Love torque vectoring.

Using the brakes separately achieves this quite well - loved it in my Land Rover that had TVBB.

Glad to hear TVBB is economical than the old clutch packs.

OP
OP
Hammered

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Love torque vectoring.

Using the brakes separately achieves this quite well - loved it in my Land Rover that had TVBB.

Glad to hear TVBB is economical than the old clutch packs.
I've found legacy systems in low-speed to be adequate and noticeable when it's brakes only, but to see a system noticeably working under much higher power loads with a brake only approach was unexpected. Its much less 'notchy' than I've experience previously. The vehicle seems to be much more in-tune with individual wheels speed and provides a more fluid response.

The last toyota system I'd played with was really bad, it'd grab a wheel, then release it, then grab it. The smooth application this system utilizes is some of the best I've seen yet. Some allow for far too much slip before coming in, almost more of a passive approach than an active one. Icey roads aren't common so I've had no experience on that front, but wet traction is great. I'm still aggressive in wet acceleration and haven't experienced a tangible traction loss. Dry on the other hand wheel spin is noticeable, but it's also the most aggressive driving.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
I've found it to be more subtle than the Tesla was, maybe a little more forgiving and regular car like. I could feel the Tesla making decisions I either didn't agree with or didn't expect sometimes. I haven't pushed the MME all that hard, but the stability/traction control has been pretty unobtrusive so far. That's usually a good thing, but it also adds to some of the numbness in the steering.

SuperRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Space White Premium Ext AWD
Country flag
I told my wife, "thing thing is just point-and-shoot." It's funny ... it kind of encourages me to drive it more aggressively because I know it's going to go where I want it to go.

I hear people bemoaning all the time that without the feel of an engine, a real connected throttle, the noise, the manual transmission ... that people are no longer connected to the car. I don't know, man, I feel connected to this car in a way I haven't with any other car. To be fair, I haven't driven sports cars, but I can't imagine being more connected than just thinking about where I want the car to be and it being there.

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
We've finally had a break in what seems to be non-stop rain and I was throwing the car through corners much harder than usual was rather impressed in the manner that the traction system was applying power with a very pronounced torque vectoring. It's much more sure-footed than ICE systems. Given it's just 2 simple open diffs and the logic is applied by the brakes, I was impressed with the feel of the system while not having other factors like the brakes giving indication that it's in operation. It felt more like it was a per-wheel motor in the rear.

No sound. All audio settings are on.

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
I told my wife, "thing thing is just point-and-shoot." It's funny ... it kind of encourages me to drive it more aggressively because I know it's going to go where I want it to go.
You summarized the moment that sold me on the MME on my first test drive. It was a thrilling moment, but also quite sobering, almost scary, when I realized "Any move I can reasonably envision when on the highway, I can execute in this car."

If I see a gap I have to take to avoid something else, I can speed up instantly and come over if I have to. I no longer have to sweat when merging onto the interstate because my f150 might not reach the speed limit by the time I need to merge.

I never experienced anything in any other car that would compare to it. Confidence inspiring, always fun to drive.

I've pushed this car hard, and I've only once thought I was about to regret my speed when I lost control on a gravel S-curve, luckily stopping before I would have met two pine trees. But my only regret is not being able to responsibly afford a GTPE.

OP
OP
Hammered

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
I've found it to be more subtle than the Tesla was, maybe a little more forgiving and regular car like. I could feel the Tesla making decisions I either didn't agree with or didn't expect sometimes. I haven't pushed the MME all that hard, but the stability/traction control has been pretty unobtrusive so far. That's usually a good thing, but it also adds to some of the numbness in the steering.
Well ford has a lot of experience in trying to keep mustangs on the road whereas tesla doesn't play in that arena. That's a huge plus on the ford side and it shows. Decades of racing and performance development that play to it.

OP
OP
Hammered

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag

I hear people bemoaning all the time that without the feel of an engine, a real connected throttle, the noise, the manual transmission ... that people are no longer connected to the car. I don't know, man, I feel connected to this car in a way I haven't with any other car. To be fair, I haven't driven sports cars, but I can't imagine being more connected than just thinking about where I want the car to be and it being there.
Yeah, this is whole other class of vehicle. Full torque on demand instantly. I've had my exhaust cars, and sure a good sounding exhaust is awesome, especially if you want to draw attention. I'm more of a fan of the silent ninja approach now. You still get to have very spirited driving, without the audible PoPo-attracting 'song' to follow.

My F150 is very quiet and its ~600hp / 700tq. It can get up to about 40 mph on electric alone before the ICE kicks in which is still quiet (no way to make a 3.5 sound good, less is more on that front). It's got a little 1.5kWh battery that's able to put out 22.5c. If the MME's batt could put out that much power with the motors to match, that'd be ~1200hp.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag

Damn, that's an awesome video, never seen that before. I'm guessing they had winter tires on?

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
I want to go drive at Smithers.

OP
OP
Hammered

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Here's another video showing TV. It's a classic example of old v. new when showing the video of actual vehicles. The system also is working for evasive steering in that it not only helps you steer the vehicle, but it's using the brakes to help vector around the object.

MachETX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E ordered
Country flag

I agree, this Mach E is connected. it makes you fell more confident, thus want to push more. I have had multiple sports cars, but this is a whole new level.

OP
OP
Hammered

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
I agree, this Mach E is connected. it makes you fell more confident, thus want to push more. I have had multiple sports cars, but this is a whole new level.
Yeah, when a wheel leaves the ground the system keeps it moving which means its acting pretty much instantly as the diffs are completely open / no LSD. It's all brakes and motor modulation, though mostly brakes.

It basically works how all other systems were previously sold, but actually allowed peg-leg'n (free of loose wheel). Daily I have a 2 wheels come off the ground entering a drive and it's uneventful. no unusual yaw which means they've got the steering counteracting torque steer too. It's easily one of the best traction systems I've driven - in a league of its own.

Most people will never notice it. It used to be 'cool, look at the traction system do its thing'. Now it's so seamless it's almost dangerous as the car it's even hinting it's at its limits. You can turn off traction control, but it's more of a 'let the rear end do some kicking out' if you want to. The system is never completely off though, always protecting the driver, in a good way.
Sponsored