First Name
Adam
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicles
Ford F-150
Country flag
I have not done a great job of keeping my vehicles clean in the past, other than as a teenager who didn't have many responsibilities. I'm thinking about getting a discount card at a touchless car wash near my work once I get my MME and setting a reminder on my phone that it is car wash time. I figure this would be the most convenient way to make sure I get it done regularly.

It is my understanding that the touchless car washes are a little more safe for your paint than a drive through with a spinning brush. Is the touchless still safe though?

I know the safest bet would probably be to wash the car in the driveway on a regular schedule, but it always seems like something I never manage to make time for.

zhackwyatt

Reaction score
Vehicles
'13 C-Max
Country flag
I have not done a great job of keeping my vehicles clean in the past, other than as a teenager who didn't have many responsibilities. I'm thinking about getting a discount card at a touchless car wash near my work once I get my MME and setting a reminder on my phone that it is car wash time. I figure this would be the most convenient way to make sure I get it done regularly.

It is my understanding that the touchless car washes are a little more safe for your paint than a drive through with a spinning brush. Is the touchless still safe though?

I know the safest bet would probably be to wash the car in the driveway on a regular schedule, but it always seems like something I never manage to make time for.
The safest way is a two-bucket hand-wash with grit guards. The issue with touchless isn't so much as safety but its effectiveness. They don't do a good job cleaning and any type of protection they offer is is also not good enough.

For the best protection you will want to:
  1. Do a 2-bucket wash with grit guards
  2. Clay the car
  3. Polish the car
  4. Wax the car
  5. Repeat at least every 6 months.
In between, a 2-bucket wash with grit guards, and a nice spray wax can help maintain. A California duster and detail spray works great for daily work.

Now, with all that said, do I follow my own advice? No because its just too hot here (113 on Thurs). I do the 5 step every 6 months, but the in between washes don't get done as often as they should :(.

I'm a big fan of Meguiar's products and they have a very helpful forum where you can ask others the most basic questions and get help.