Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Latest Update... The adjuster has approved the fix. New battery is on order, hopefully only about a week. Also got a chance to take a few pictures if you want to see what $27k worth of damage looks like....

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tow Company Warning... Getting a new HV battery PXL_20211001_000217712
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I’m thinking of painting my tow holes green. That is, whenever I get my car.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I tend to look at these things in any new car I get but not 100% sure I would remember when something actually happened. I like reading this stuff, I have one son who barely knows his tires require air, so most people won’t know the right way to tow.

easy solution, I read on another thread that European MME cars have tow hooks. Have them on American MMEs also and that solved where front license plates go.
This!!! There have been multiple discussions in this forum regarding why Ford deleted the tow hook hole on NA models. How much did they actually save? A tow hook would almost certainly have prevented this problem. Unless the car was towed from the rear, I guess ...

OP
OP
imstriker

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Going to revive my own thread with a quick update. Still no car back and my dealership has become fairly non-responsive. I chased them down on Friday and was told the battery shipped with no ETA. So far I've gotten no return phone calls today. I dropped our Ford friends on the forum a note. Hopefully someone will get involved and get this resolved. I'm spending a fortune in gas right now on this stupid rental car. Not a good time to be stuck with a gas rental.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
When I picked up my car back in February and sent it to be ceramic coated, the owner of the detail shop told me it was very important to keep it dry for 2 weeks while the ceramic cures (if you leave water on the car and don't dry it off as soon as possible the water will absorb into the uncured ceramic and leave a cloudy spot). SO... with winter roads being pretty slushy I knew there was no way to get the car home without it being a mess. So I hired a flat-bed to bring it home and just parked in the garage to finish curing.

The flat-bed operator had never seen the car before (no surprise) and started inspected the underside looking for obvious anchor points. I told him most what was behind the shielded underbelly is battery -- he had no interest in risking hooking into that.

In my case there was nothing wrong with the car ... I just needed to get it home without it becoming a slushy mess. So he drove the car onto the flatbed and secured the car with harnesses that are secured around the tires.

I was happy to read the towing guide and learn that's exactly what he was supposed to do.

This has me wanting to look under the car to find the wench attachment points in case the car ever needs to be towed if it can't be driven onto the flat-bed.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Latest Update... The adjuster has approved the fix. New battery is on order, hopefully only about a week. Also got a chance to take a few pictures if you want to see what $27k worth of damage looks like....

PXL_20211001_000217712.jpg
FYI this part is called the High Voltage Battery Guardrail or "Protector", and it can be replaced separately from the entire pack. It involves drilling out the rivets and reinstalling with a rivet gun. Part costs about $100. Perhaps they didn't realize it's a replaceable part, because $118.52 is WAY cheaper than $26,651.68!

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/electrical/battery-and-related-components/protector-13576679-1

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tow Company Warning... Getting a new HV battery Battery Parts

Last edited:

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tow Company Warning... Getting a new HV battery Battery Parts
How much does it cost to replace the batteries, assuming that’s what they are doing

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Those look like a good idea and perhaps what should be on there from the factory. Anyone find something similar that's not coming from so far away to the States?

Gil McC

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Shelby GT500, 20Infinity G37X, 2021 MME GT PE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Back to the original question, what is the tow point under the MMEs? I printed the link before reading all of it and 90% is for a Ford GT. All I could find on the MME was note 1, someplace under the front end, and that the tow driver has more information on how and where...
Sponsored