First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3 AWD ER
Country flag
Hi All,

Anyone had a mechanic put a tow hitch on their Mach E? I'm looking to add one but want someone who know what they are doing.

I'm in the East Bay.

Thanks

Paul
Sponsored

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
Hi All,

Anyone had a mechanic put a tow hitch on their Mach E? I'm looking to add one but want someone who know what they are doing.

I'm in the East Bay.

Thanks

Paul
@Jarrattp take a look at the post and video from @scoopman. Looks like he used The Rack Spot in San Carlos, which is just a bridge drive away. ;)

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I did and they were good.

Happy to let anyone who is local see my install or answer questions.

OP
OP

Jarrattp

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3 AWD ER
Country flag
Nice! I saw you featured my car in your video. I want to get one specifically to stop that happening again as you mention. My worry is, a) where does the tow truck diver latch on to? Does he put a ball receiver into the hitch? Are there holes in the side of the receiver where a hook could go? And b) where does the hitch attach to under the car? Are there pre-drilled holes sanctioned by Ford? Is there a chance it could not support the force?

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Nice! I saw you featured my car in your video. I want to get one specifically to stop that happening again as you mention. My worry is, a) where does the tow truck diver latch on to? Does he put a ball receiver into the hitch? Are there holes in the side of the receiver where a hook could go? And b) where does the hitch attach to under the car? Are there pre-drilled holes sanctioned by Ford? Is there a chance it could not support the force?
Yeah good questions. I do not have definitive answers as I haven't seen anyone using this for a MME tow (yet?), however here's my thoughts:

(a) there are holes that you can put a winch into even without the hitch portion attached. I'll take a photo of this tomorrow when it's light out but they're bigger than the front official tow holes

(b) the hitch adapter is a pretty substantial hunk of metal that is attached at I believe some of the frame bolting points on the frame rails (see here for the instructions online: https://www.towingproducts.net/Application/support/instructions/N76919.pdf ). I wouldn't pull an MME a substantial distance or speed from this, but to get it outa your driveway onto a flatbed if it craps itself out, you're really not putting that much force on it for a sustained period of time, and the tow adapter will probably work just dandy.

Is there a chance it wouldn't? Eh sure, but from my limited experience in towing (first time needing a tow ever with this car -- I've never had a car take a turd like I've had my MME do in my garage) I'm more worried about competence of the tow operator than I am of the big metal holes I bolted onto my car not holding for 3 minutes. I'd rather try my rear hitch bar next time (gosh I hope there isn't a next time!) than to have the experience I had with my tow, or to have something happen like the poor dude who had a tow truck operator who didn't attach the winch properly, and his car went through his garage door. We have seen some people on this board get winched via yanking on their rear suspension arms without any damage sustained to the suspension, so I would imagine this bar is at least if not more stout for a couple of minutes of slow pulling.

TLDR: Whole thing was really reasonably priced, and it also is very handy to haul bikes on the weekends for my kiddos, and to have some added optionality if I'm nose-in somewhere and my car is having a non-functional really bad day.
Sponsored