Jarrattp

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3 AWD ER
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Towing out from driveway back first 😱 0A9F696C-B4CB-4B70-B625-5EFE1A79A7E1

This happened to me this weekend. Tow driver hooked into side rail as there are no tow hooks on the back of the car. He was pulling it with a hooks and it came off as he pulled up our driveway. How is anyone suppose to tow these cars from behind if there are no tow hooks at the back of the car. I know you are not suppose to hook into the rail because of the battery but I’m at a loss to know how to get the car out of my garage and to the service center. Ford was useless sending me the document showing the tow points at the front and saying: “I'm thinking the cable & hook would have to be routed under the vehicle to the front winch points. The vehicle would then be pulled back far enoungh to allow the TT to load the vehicle nose first. - or- manually push the vehicle back.” Does this sound like a good option to you? One thing is for sure this car has not been design well for towing and Ford seems to have no clue that it’s tow truck network has no clue how to tow.

366DDD21-8F3A-45E3-B88C-68E019EA243B.jpeg

F6DD60E2-9806-4E72-9458-A5694EFCEBEE.jpeg

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
That's a moron for a tow truck driver right there.

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Towing out from driveway back first 😱 F6DD60E2-9806-4E72-9458-A5694EFCEBEE

This happened to me this weekend. Tow driver hooked into side rail as there are no tow hooks on the back of the car. He was pulling it with a hooks and it came off as he pulled up our driveway. How is anyone suppose to tow these cars from behind if there are no tow hooks at the back of the car. I know you are not suppose to hook into the rail because of the battery but I’m at a loss to know how to get the car out of my garage and to the service center. Ford was useless sending me the document showing the tow points at the front and saying: “I'm thinking the cable & hook would have to be routed under the vehicle to the front winch points. The vehicle would then be pulled back far enoungh to allow the TT to load the vehicle nose first. - or- manually push the vehicle back.” Does this sound like a good option to you? One thing is for sure this car has not been design well for towing and Ford seems to have no clue that it’s tow truck network has no clue how to tow.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Towing out from driveway back first 😱 F6DD60E2-9806-4E72-9458-A5694EFCEBEE

Holy crap. So the car was on an incline down towards your garage and the tow truck winch slipped off and your car crashed through your garage door!!?!?!?!?!!!!

You're lucky no one was run over.

Was this genius tow truck driver sent by Ford Roadside?

You will have a mess on your hands because the tow truck insurance will probably try to get out of paying for all of your damage.

Do you have good car insurance? You might want to go through them for comprehensive and collision and have them subrogate and go after the tow truck and Ford Roadside perhaps.

So sorry this happened to you!

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Towing out from driveway back first 😱 0a9f696c-b4cb-4b70-b625-5efe1a79a7e1-jpe

Ford Mustang Mach-E Towing out from driveway back first 😱 0a9f696c-b4cb-4b70-b625-5efe1a79a7e1-jpe

Also very sorry for you that you did not find how to tow your car on this board before you let the stupid tow truck driver do that.

Aside from the collision damage and damage to your house, I would bet your battery is damaged. Those side rails with the tempting holes in them cannot be bent. If they are you have to replace the whole battery pack which is $28,000.

Did you get the car rescued from the garage yet? You should look underneath and see if the rails are damaged.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Need to place front wheels on dollies and lift back end. There are examples somewhere on the forum.
Better yet, put all 4 on dollies and spin the car around. (Assuming there is sufficient room of course....)

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag
Too late now, but if the tow driver had strapped onto the lower control arms this would not have happened. I am guessing the hooks tore out of the soft battery rails and gravity took over. Sorry man, this is awful to see.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Need to place front wheels on dollies and lift back end. There are examples somewhere on the forum.
this probably would have been the best/safest....

this situation could have been avoided with tow points in back. Yet another reason to install a 'non-approved' hitch receiver. Even if you never use it for a bike rack or anything else, you'd at least have tow loops

094 installed rcvr only.jpg

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I'm guessing it is a little late for this advice now .... that poor car and house!
Sponsored