Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
That’s not the problem as I see it. Someone posted a photo of their MME a while back after it had been rear-ended. It had a tow hitch and the tow hitch destroyed the rear bumper mounting bosses. Not sure if the US market cars have the structural integrity at that spot that the EU cars do. 😱🐩 Obviously, something needs to be done, but not sure exactly what that is. 🤔🐩
a tow bar across connecting the two chassis rails would be stronger (like a secondary bumper), or the bumper itself could be beefed up in future ready for a 'universal' mount receiver.

left/right tow loops aftermarket or pre-installed at factory dropping thru slots in the diaper would be far less expensive. And loops can be designed to bend/open before deforming chassis rail if they get yanked on too hard or rear ended
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
That’s not the problem as I see it. Someone posted a photo of their MME a while back after it had been rear-ended. It had a tow hitch and the tow hitch destroyed the rear bumper mounting bosses. Not sure if the US market cars have the structural integrity at that spot that the EU cars do. 😱🐩 Obviously, something needs to be done, but not sure exactly what that is. 🤔🐩
I think I know what photo you're talking about, and I concluded they didn't install all the mounting brackets that came with the Torklift hitch. The frame metal the hitches bolt into is still very thin on the Mach-E. EU hitch uses backing plates that go inside the frame rails and is much better secured than anything we have in the US.

You don't need to install a hitch to prevent your garage from being smashed, just the software.

krazieboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
They probably could've just got 4 wheel dollies and rolled it out.

Dude

First Name
Dominic Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E select
Occupation
Sim Pilot
Country flag
Plastic caps and tow point arrows option.
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUw6PULJZ8A

OP
OP

Jarrattp

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3 AWD ER
Country flag
So I finally got the car out. Now I’m wondering whether I should ‘settle’ to have the car repaired given the extent of the damages (ford says the battery is fine but how do I know for sure it hasn’t got some slight damage internally and might develop faults later) or request a completely new car. Does the car’s value diminish now that it’s been in an accident?

40BBB730-60B7-444A-8178-524A64E387E1.jpeg

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So I finally got the car out. Now I’m wondering whether I should ‘settle’ to have the car repaired given the extent of the damages (ford says the battery is fine but how do I know for sure it hasn’t got some slight damage internally and might develop faults later) or request a completely new car. Does the car’s value diminish now that it’s been in an accident?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Towing out from driveway back first 😱 40BBB730-60B7-444A-8178-524A64E387E1
Given where they hooked onto there, I'd guess the battery didn't get damaged. That hole on the fairly thin sheet metal should rip through pretty easily without actually bending the rest of the pack. It's fortunate that they picked the hole on the very back end where it can rip easily. Doing that from a hole not on the very end (or pulling the opposite direction) could really destroy that rail.

I just ran out and took a pic of mine by comparison.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Towing out from driveway back first 😱 20220804_102313

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Yes, a car's value is diminished by an accident. Absolutely.

A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium 4X
Country flag
Yes, a car's value is diminished by an accident. Absolutely.
Indeed. Most states allow you to ask for a diminished value claim where they'll compensate you for the loss of value. Finding what that should be is harder. Easiest way would be if your dealer could tell you what the reduced value is, but some don't want to risk getting involved in an insurance dispute. You can go to CarMax's website and fill out the form to get a sale value with and without a major accident to see what the difference is. Or if you file a claim through your insurance (and let them subrogate), they will probably give you a fair value (because they're going to get it back from the other company)

WNKent

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CR1 4X
Occupation
Airline
Country flag

This happened to me this weekend. Tow driver hooked into side rail as there are no tow hooks on the back of the car. He was pulling it with a hooks and it came off as he pulled up our driveway. How is anyone suppose to tow these cars from behind if there are no tow hooks at the back of the car. I know you are not suppose to hook into the rail because of the battery but I’m at a loss to know how to get the car out of my garage and to the service center. Ford was useless sending me the document showing the tow points at the front and saying: “I'm thinking the cable & hook would have to be routed under the vehicle to the front winch points. The vehicle would then be pulled back far enoungh to allow the TT to load the vehicle nose first. - or- manually push the vehicle back.” Does this sound like a good option to you? One thing is for sure this car has not been design well for towing and Ford seems to have no clue that it’s tow truck network has no clue how to tow.

OMG :oops:

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag

Is the damage being settled by insurance -- or directly by Ford?

If insurance, you definitely should be demanding diminished value compensation.

I would also approach this potentially more delicately with Ford if they are covering the damage themselves, but just as insistently. I think you also need to understand from them what would happen if later on there was battery damage that didn't show up until later on. Is the bodywork being fixed at a body shop you're happy with? How much damage is there other than the little holes in the back?

The good thing is, as others have said, sounds like battery damage might be unlikely if the rails weren't deformed, and it's just that little piece at the end. But you might need to be worried about everything else that might have been damaged when your car went thru the garage door....

1969Mach1Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69mach1, 11 R56S MINI, LR LR4, Mach-E IBSM.
Occupation
Minister Of Awesomeness
Country flag
How many miles on your car? anything over 1k and you will not be getting a new car.

It took me 3 years of litigation and having no car to get a buyback for my focus that was sold to me (new) with mold and a transmission problem (suspected flood car). I finally had to join a class action on the transmission. They never compensated me for the 3 years I had nothing after they dismanteled my car completely and refused to put it back together.

• Wow
Reactions: ARK

Monke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
How many miles on your car? anything over 1k and you will not be getting a new car.

It took me 3 years of litigation and having no car to get a buyback for my focus that was sold to me (new) with mold and a transmission problem (suspected flood car). I finally had to join a class action on the transmission. They never compensated me for the 3 years I had nothing after they dismanteled my car completely and refused to put it back together.
I am sorry to hear about your experience. I am surprised that you still bought another Ford after what you had been through.

Z-one

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mache GTPE
Country flag
Given they had to drop the battery they probably got a good look at everything and were able to make sure noting was out of alignment. Wondering if the bodyshop could just bend it back, maybe a quick weld and small paint to make it look closer to new.
Sponsored