Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
How did that wind up in Texas?
Bought it from my local Chevrolet dealer back in 2015. You know it’s a 2014 Chevrolet SS sedan, right? Built in Elizabeth, South Australia by Holden. I just did the Holden grille and badges so it looked like it should. It’s not right hand drive or anything ? I was not prepared for the absolutely bonkers level of attention it gets every single time I go somewhere.

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

First Name
Terrance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 GT500, 17 GT350R, 15 GT3, 00 Lightning, 91 Fox
Occupation
Wheel Whore
Country flag
We survived, and what a day it was. This was my third time to Sonoma Raceway, second time tracking my GT500 there and first time ever tracking the Mach-E. Still sorting through everything but want to cover what I can while it is fresh. I could write a novel about the day but it would not do anyone much good. Only so much can be absorbed at a time. I will try to cover all the salient details I think people want to know, but feel free to ask more.
SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-06.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-05.jpg

The Disclaimer - I am your average enthusiast and approach all situations with that mindset. I have some seat time spent on tracks around the west coast driving mostly V8 sports cars, but I am not a pro-driver. I possess an understanding of vehicle dynamics and track terminology, but by no means an instructor. The language and descriptions used here are from that of a layman and not meant to be exhaustive. There was no camera person at this event for on track photos, so I have limited on track shots.
SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-12.jpg

The Appetizer - Sonoma Raceway is approximately 54 miles from my house as the crow flies and requires some driving uphill to reach. With depletion of the battery on my mind Sonoma was the closest track, and got the nod for the first trip. I needed to do some testing with my 2020 GT500 as well, so I convinced my sister to drive the Mach-E for me. I left this morning with 96% percent battery and arrived at the track with approximately 59%. Unfortunately Sonoma has no fast chargers on hand, and no 220 or better hookups. Charging on 110 in the garage was like drinking through a coffee straw, but it was all I would get. There are some fast charges in the area, but would require a 10-15 minute drive. It would be a headache running to and from the track between sessions for a charge. Knowing I needed roughly 30% to make it back home I really only had one shot to shake this car down.
SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-14.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-15.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-16.jpg

The Main Dish - The goal here was not to set the fastest lap. I wanted to experience the car for what it was, extract all the data I could from the experience and maybe get some bragging rights as the first Mach-E to touch Sonoma Raceway. I would describe Sonoma as a smaller technical track. Lots of turns and rewards for those holding the right line. The Mach-E has its weight low slung and felt relatively stable in most of the turns. With the weight of the Mach I would attribute much of the feeling to the increased contact patch from the 20x9.5 Signature Wheel setup. Once warmed up the 275 Yokohama did a fairly good job managing the weight, and would be even better at a lower tire pressure. Rolling through the Carousel was actually pretty fun. Threshold braking giving you the lightest tire squeal on deceleration. With some confidence you can work through the esses at a pretty good clip, with the AWD system working to your advantage on the shorter sweepers. Dampening is fairly stiff on the street, but on track you can really kiss those rumble strips at the apex without upsetting the Mach. Body roll was there, but the car is not as sloppy as one would think. With the car being slower you really had an opportunity to focus on the right driving line. I ran about 17 minutes of the 20 minute session and did not come across any brake fade. This is legitimately a car you could load the family in and take around a road course.
SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-22.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-24.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-25.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-26.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-27.jpg

The Gristle - What I will say is the Mach-E is not a drivers car in this trim. There are no ways that I know of for you to disengage any of the nannies that make the car safe, but anger your inner Hoonigan. Right as I started to get the car to rotate and slide it would limit itself. Tried as I might I could not get the car above 88 mph on any part of the track. If you’re trying to go back to the future It ain’t happening. Acceleration out of corners was something I expected to wow me, but it never happened. The damn going just won’t get out of the hole after a slow speed turn or heavy braking. Matted to the floor you really can’t get the car to give you any more power than traction control will allow. For an EV the power does not come on as immediate as you would think. I don’t even think it has a traction control warning, so the system just works silently in the background. The braking system worked fairly well for the 17 minute jaunt, but I did see the brakes too hot indicator come on once. If you try and get the car out of shape it will slap you on the hand faster than reaching for your grandmothers cookies. While driving in Unbridled mode the car reduces any drag on the system when you lift the pedal. While rolling through the esses I would lift off the gas anticipating the car to bleed off momentum, but it would continue to roll. This caused me to jump on the brakes a few times to reduce speed. In most circumstances you can use drag to your advantage and stay off the brakes to avoid shifting weight where you don’t want it. The lack of resistance made me use the brakes more or just carrying less speed. Ultimately heating up the brakes more, getting the Mach slightly out of shape or simply going into turns slower.
SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-21.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-23.jpg

Dessert?: I ended my session once I was down to approximately 29% battery life. Just enough to make it back home after 17 minutes of fun. The wheel and tire setup I developed in theory worked out PERFECTLY in application. I parked the car In the paddock and was swarmed by Porsche, Camaro, Mustang, Miata every other owner at the track asking me how it was. I took off my helmet with a smile on my face and said “Surprisingly, not bad. For an SUV the damn thing is pretty good. “
SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-17.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-18.jpg

Waiter, Reality Check Please - This is not a drivers car, or really even a sports car. It is an SUV dampened like a Mustang, plain and simple. I jumped right out my Mach-E and into the GT500 for the next session and immediately got that pucker feeling I was looking for. You might get your dreams crushed hoping to go out and run the Mach-E for a full track day. When you plan to track yours be sure the location has a fast charger on site, or bring whatever adapter you need to hookup to 220. If you have experience tracking your car do not expect to be blown away by its performance, or get to drive to the best of your abilities. I got passed by every car in my group but always had a grin on my face during the process. I would hope the GT version gives more control to the driver or a revised power management system that allows you to actually drive the car. However, If you have a full charge and are rolling through wine country with your lady you can easily go run a session while she drinks cabernet in the front seat.
SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-20.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-08.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-09.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-10.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-11.jpg

The Leftovers - Arriving back to my shop I had 9% battery life left. Plugged the Mach-E in to charge and drove the GT500 back home. I was really excited to feel the performance benefits of an EV powered vehicle, but do not feel like I really got to. I would equate driving the Mach-E to a wine and cheese tasting, while the GT500 is more of a frat house kegger. If you focus on enjoying the Mach-E for what it is and the foundation its laying then you can’t help but love it. Have fun with it, but don’t try to make it what it is not. There will be some auto-cross events in its future, but not another open track day without chargers on site or a much closer track. Moving this car around at speed on the stock wheels and tires would likely be a frustrating experience, so the square setup was worth it. I am really curious to see how Ford tunes this GT version, as it will need to be a different animal fundamentally to win the hearts of the traditional performance Mustang owner on track.
SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-03.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-04.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-02.jpg

Thanks to the Hooked On Driving and Turn 2 guys for being great hosts.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Thanks for the write up. Fun reading. ChargePoint‘s app claims there is an L2 charger at the track but looking again it looks like it was owned by the now-defunct DC Solar. I never have managed to find it so I guess it ain’t there any more.

I’m still waiting on any news on the GT-PE that I have on order. I assume the Unbridled Extend mode will give the car a little more oomph.

I get your analogy of the wine tasting vs the kegger. I am hoping the PE option will put my car more toward the bourbon tasting area. LOL ? In any event it sounds like you had a fun day. I wish I could have watched.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
We survived, and what a day it was. This was my third time to Sonoma Raceway, second time tracking my GT500 there and first time ever tracking the Mach-E. Still sorting through everything but want to cover what I can while it is fresh. I could write a novel about the day but it would not do anyone much good. Only so much can be absorbed at a time. I will try to cover all the salient details I think people want to know, but feel free to ask more.
SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-06.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-05.jpg

The Disclaimer - I am your average enthusiast and approach all situations with that mindset. I have some seat time spent on tracks around the west coast driving mostly V8 sports cars, but I am not a pro-driver. I possess an understanding of vehicle dynamics and track terminology, but by no means an instructor. The language and descriptions used here are from that of a layman and not meant to be exhaustive. There was no camera person at this event for on track photos, so I have limited on track shots.
SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-12.jpg

The Appetizer - Sonoma Raceway is approximately 54 miles from my house as the crow flies and requires some driving uphill to reach. With depletion of the battery on my mind Sonoma was the closest track, and got the nod for the first trip. I needed to do some testing with my 2020 GT500 as well, so I convinced my sister to drive the Mach-E for me. I left this morning with 96% percent battery and arrived at the track with approximately 59%. Unfortunately Sonoma has no fast chargers on hand, and no 220 or better hookups. Charging on 110 in the garage was like drinking through a coffee straw, but it was all I would get. There are some fast charges in the area, but would require a 10-15 minute drive. It would be a headache running to and from the track between sessions for a charge. Knowing I needed roughly 30% to make it back home I really only had one shot to shake this car down.
SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-14.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-15.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-16.jpg

The Main Dish - The goal here was not to set the fastest lap. I wanted to experience the car for what it was, extract all the data I could from the experience and maybe get some bragging rights as the first Mach-E to touch Sonoma Raceway. I would describe Sonoma as a smaller technical track. Lots of turns and rewards for those holding the right line. The Mach-E has its weight low slung and felt relatively stable in most of the turns. With the weight of the Mach I would attribute much of the feeling to the increased contact patch from the 20x9.5 Signature Wheel setup. Once warmed up the 275 Yokohama did a fairly good job managing the weight, and would be even better at a lower tire pressure. Rolling through the Carousel was actually pretty fun. Threshold braking giving you the lightest tire squeal on deceleration. With some confidence you can work through the esses at a pretty good clip, with the AWD system working to your advantage on the shorter sweepers. Dampening is fairly stiff on the street, but on track you can really kiss those rumble strips at the apex without upsetting the Mach. Body roll was there, but the car is not as sloppy as one would think. With the car being slower you really had an opportunity to focus on the right driving line. I ran about 17 minutes of the 20 minute session and did not come across any brake fade. This is legitimately a car you could load the family in and take around a road course.
SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-22.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-24.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-25.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-26.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-27.jpg

The Gristle - What I will say is the Mach-E is not a drivers car in this trim. There are no ways that I know of for you to disengage any of the nannies that make the car safe, but anger your inner Hoonigan. Right as I started to get the car to rotate and slide it would limit itself. Tried as I might I could not get the car above 88 mph on any part of the track. If you’re trying to go back to the future It ain’t happening. Acceleration out of corners was something I expected to wow me, but it never happened. The damn going just won’t get out of the hole after a slow speed turn or heavy braking. Matted to the floor you really can’t get the car to give you any more power than traction control will allow. For an EV the power does not come on as immediate as you would think. I don’t even think it has a traction control warning, so the system just works silently in the background. The braking system worked fairly well for the 17 minute jaunt, but I did see the brakes too hot indicator come on once. If you try and get the car out of shape it will slap you on the hand faster than reaching for your grandmothers cookies. While driving in Unbridled mode the car reduces any drag on the system when you lift the pedal. While rolling through the esses I would lift off the gas anticipating the car to bleed off momentum, but it would continue to roll. This caused me to jump on the brakes a few times to reduce speed. In most circumstances you can use drag to your advantage and stay off the brakes to avoid shifting weight where you don’t want it. The lack of resistance made me use the brakes more or just carrying less speed. Ultimately heating up the brakes more, getting the Mach slightly out of shape or simply going into turns slower.
SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-21.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-23.jpg

Dessert?: I ended my session once I was down to approximately 29% battery life. Just enough to make it back home after 17 minutes of fun. The wheel and tire setup I developed in theory worked out PERFECTLY in application. I parked the car In the paddock and was swarmed by Porsche, Camaro, Mustang, Miata every other owner at the track asking me how it was. I took off my helmet with a smile on my face and said “Surprisingly, not bad. For an SUV the damn thing is pretty good. “
SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-17.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-18.jpg

Waiter, Reality Check Please - This is not a drivers car, or really even a sports car. It is an SUV dampened like a Mustang, plain and simple. I jumped right out my Mach-E and into the GT500 for the next session and immediately got that pucker feeling I was looking for. You might get your dreams crushed hoping to go out and run the Mach-E for a full track day. When you plan to track yours be sure the location has a fast charger on site, or bring whatever adapter you need to hookup to 220. If you have experience tracking your car do not expect to be blown away by its performance, or get to drive to the best of your abilities. I got passed by every car in my group but always had a grin on my face during the process. I would hope the GT version gives more control to the driver or a revised power management system that allows you to actually drive the car. However, If you have a full charge and are rolling through wine country with your lady you can easily go run a session while she drinks cabernet in the front seat.
SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-20.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-08.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-09.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-10.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-11.jpg

The Leftovers - Arriving back to my shop I had 9% battery life left. Plugged the Mach-E in to charge and drove the GT500 back home. I was really excited to feel the performance benefits of an EV powered vehicle, but do not feel like I really got to. I would equate driving the Mach-E to a wine and cheese tasting, while the GT500 is more of a frat house kegger. If you focus on enjoying the Mach-E for what it is and the foundation its laying then you can’t help but love it. Have fun with it, but don’t try to make it what it is not. There will be some auto-cross events in its future, but not another open track day without chargers on site or a much closer track. Moving this car around at speed on the stock wheels and tires would likely be a frustrating experience, so the square setup was worth it. I am really curious to see how Ford tunes this GT version, as it will need to be a different animal fundamentally to win the hearts of the traditional performance Mustang owner on track.
SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-03.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-04.jpg

SV502-Mach-E-Sonoma-Raceway-02.jpg

Thanks to the Hooked On Driving and Turn 2 guys for being great hosts.
Sounds just about what I expected it to. I wonder what type of power-limiting, if any, Ford programmed for when charge levels get below a preset threshold. 346Hp/428Tq is great on the street in short bursts but it is not going to get 5000 lbs with AWD and Non-defeatable nannies out of shape on track. Most reviews from experienced testers indicate a neutral corner exit attitude with a smidge of oversteer but that is on the OEM 225 all-seasons. I suspect those big Yokos were grippier than necessary, are they Advan Apex V601s or Advan A052s? Either way, they probably just have too much grip for the factory stability control tuning to allow any fun.

I also see that we get OEM Brembo 4-piston fixed calipers up front but I guarantee Ford spec’d a low-dust, quiet ceramic pad composition that shits the bed when tracked. I’d like to see someone lap with a set of Hawk, StopTech, EBC, or Ferrodo track ready pads that have real bite and fade resistance.

But, as you mentioned, there is a GT for a reason.

Thanks again for the excellent write up.

Last edited:

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Now I want you to do the GT with the unbridled extend.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Sounds just about what I expected it to. I wonder what type of power-limiting, if any, Ford programmed for when charge levels get below a preset threshold. 346Hp/428Tq is great on the street in short bursts but it is not going to get 5000 lbs with AWD and Non-defeatable nannies out of shape on track. Most reviews from experienced testers indicate a neutral corner exit attitude with a smidge of oversteer but that is on the OEM 225 all-seasons. I suspect those big Yokos were grippier than necessary, are they Advan Apex V601s or Advan A052s? Either way, they probably just have too much grip for the factory stability control tuning to allow any fun.

I also see that we get OEM Brembo 4-piston fixed calipers up front but I guarantee Ford spec’d a low-dust, quiet ceramic pad composition that shits the bed when tracked. I’d like to see someone lap with a set of Hawk, StopTech, EBC, or Ferrodo track ready pads that have real bite and fade resistance.

Not that it'd make a huge difference but I was wondering about battery thresholds too. My first test drive was at a dealership in an extended range RWD model and it was ok with speed with 38% battery. My turo rental was a standard range RWD model with 90% battery and it was far faster than the extended range model with less battery charge.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Very good write up.

A good reminder that there is a reason for the GT version. I imagine in time even us base a premium drivers will get an aftermarket hack to de-nanny our rides but for a daily on the street good enough.

My take away is the narrow stock tires not only give better mileage but also their smaller patch give an illusion of not being nannyfied that is removed (the illusion) with better rubber and rims.

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
Nice, I appreciate the breakdown and approach you took to the feedback. This really reminds me of my friend taking his Goldwing GL1800 to a track day with me on my CBR929RR. He had a blast and yes the GL1800 is not the 80s Goldwing anymore, but it is also not a track tool like my 929RR:)

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

First Name
Terrance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Wheel Whore
Country flag

Glad you enjoyed it. I was not disappointed with the current brakes to be honest, but they will definitely need cooling and a better compound with the faster car. I am also very curious about the power management system and how it works. If I could get more power on exit from the car it would be so much more fun.

Tire compound was the Apex.

Now I want you to do the GT with the unbridled extend.
Me too man. I bet that car with a little less intervention would be a hoot.

Not that it'd make a huge difference but I was wondering about battery thresholds too. My first test drive was at a dealership in an extended range RWD model and it was ok with speed with 38% battery. My turo rental was a standard range RWD model with 90% battery and it was far faster than the extended range model with less battery charge.
I could see this being a built in feature for sure. Maybe as more performance engineering information is released with the GT we will find out

Very good write up.

A good reminder that there is a reason for the GT version. I imagine in time even us base a premium drivers will get an aftermarket hack to de-nanny our rides but for a daily on the street good enough.

My take away is the narrow stock tires not only give better mileage but also their smaller patch give an illusion of not being nannyfied that is removed (the illusion) with better rubber and rims.
I just wonder what level of intervention the GT version will have, and your ability to remove it. Do we know if anyone has done a burnout in one of these?

Nice, I appreciate the breakdown and approach you took to the feedback. This really reminds me of my friend taking his Goldwing GL1800 to a track day with me on my CBR929RR. He had a blast and yes the GL1800 is not the 80s Goldwing anymore, but it is also not a track tool like my 929RR:)
Haha. Sounds like your buddy and I are the ones taking the fat girls to the dance.

Reactions: JRT

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
We survived, and what a day it was.

great write-up, and nice pix!
.... too bad no Go-pro video... ;)

Did you pull any items out of the car for weight reduction, or run totally stock with everything straight off the showroom floor (except for wheels/tires).

Did you go into 'settings' and turn OFF traction control before you ran laps?
I am assuming you ran only in 'unbridled' mode, and 1-p?

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

First Name
Terrance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Wheel Whore
Country flag
great write-up, and nice pix!
.... too bad no Go-pro video... ;)

Did you pull any items out of the car for weight reduction, or run totally stock with everything straight off the showroom floor (except for wheels/tires).

Did you go into 'settings' and turn OFF traction control before you ran laps?
I am assuming you ran only in 'unbridled' mode, and 1-p?
I ran the Mach fully loaded. Tell me more about the traction control. I have not seen where you can disable it. I am looking for an autocross event now and that would be great to turn off.

My hero run was done in Unbridled with 1P mode off. The drag from 1P mode would be cool in terms of bleeding off speed, but also probably get the brakes hot really fast.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I ran the Mach fully loaded. Tell me more about the traction control. I have not seen where you can disable it. I am looking for an autocross event now and that would be great to turn off.
console->vehicle->driverassistance->controls
... it will reset back to 'on' every time you turn vehicle off/on

My hero run was done in Unbridled with 1P mode off. The drag from 1P mode would be cool in terms of bleeding off speed, but also probably get the brakes hot really fast.
opposite actually.... driving 1-p will put up to 80 kW of regen braking energy back into the battery, which will extend range AND reduce mechanical energy dumped as brake heat.

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

First Name
Terrance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Wheel Whore
Country flag
console->vehicle->driverassistance->controls
... it will reset back to 'on' every time you turn vehicle off/on

opposite actually.... driving 1-p will put up to 80 kW of regen braking energy back into the battery, which will extend range AND reduce mechanical energy dumped as brake heat.
Time for a burnout!

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
Terrance thx for doing this test, great feed back and write-up! Makes me even more eager to see what the GT, GTP, and future "Shelby" Mach-E can do!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.