Tracking Charging Power Consumption

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
I'll be taking delivery soon, but I've been trying to figure out if and how you can track the power you're sucking down when you charge. I have roommates, and I don't want them to have to pay more on the power bill as a result of my car, so I need a way to track how much extra I'm using.

Does the car do this? Or am I going to have to figure out some other metering solution?
Sponsored

Last edited:

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I'll be taking delivery soon, but I've been trying to figure out if and how you can track how the power you're sucking down when you charge. I have roommates, and I don't want them to have to pay more on the power bill as a result of my car, so I need a way to track how much extra I'm using.

Does the car do this? Or am I going to have to figure out some other metering solution?
I just looked, and there's a charge log a bit buried in FordPass that gives percentages (which you could multiply by usable battery to get kWh).

When the car is charging you can see what's going on somewhat in the car but there's no car-side visible log. One of the ongoing requests from many (a lot?) of people in here is more charge control and information in the car itself.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
you could also use a "smart EVSE" as well (not the stop-ship Ford one) - there's a bunch of threads on here about people's charging selections - search for Grizzl-E, ChargePoint, OpenEVSE, etc. and you'll find lots of talk about it. Then you could have the EVSE ("charger") tell you how much power it took in which would negate the need for a meter or worrying about conversion losses, but of course this means buying another thing in place of the Ford included "mobile charger".

OP
OP
mpshizzle

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag
It is on the input to a 100 amp sub-panel in my garage. The sub-panel has three breakers going to three different EVSEs. A 16 amp bought for my 2013 Fusion Energi, a 40 amp bought for my 2014 Tesla, and an 80 amp bought for my 2016 Tesla that replaced the 2014 Tesla. As you can see, failure to plan ahead can get expensive. A 2021 Mach-E will replace the 2013 Energi. I only charge one car at a time so I get accurate readings. The meter will hold its reading for 10 years in the absence of power.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
I use a ChargePoint Home Flex. In the app, it lets you pick your utility provider and rate plan. Then it tracks the exact costs for charging for you. I just made a video on some home charging options. It's not super detailed, but more like an overview.

OP
OP
mpshizzle

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
Hmm ok! Looks goood! Looks like I've got some research to do

OP
OP
mpshizzle

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
Little update on this: I found out that the app DOES tell you how much power it's consumed.. but only while it is charging.. no historical data

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tracking Charging Power Consumption Screenshot_20210406-191721_FordPass
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tracking Charging Power Consumption Screenshot_20210406-191721_FordPass

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I use a ChargePoint Home Flex. In the app, it lets you pick your utility provider and rate plan. Then it tracks the exact costs for charging for you. I just made a video on some home charging options. It's not super detailed, but more like an overview.
Patrick, I love your videos! But it's bothering me that the 3-D fractal pony behind you is backwards, lol :)

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Little update on this: I found out that the app DOES tell you how much power it's consumed.. but only while it is charging.. no historical data

Unfortunately, that's still inaccurate, because it's showing how much power the car received, but not how much was actually consumed (in other words, you can't see losses). But it's something!
Also, there IS a historical "charge logs" section, but for some reason they omit the kW delivered in that section.

I get the feeling the app developers are really new to EVs and aren't totally aware of the type of information users like to have access to. It will get there in time.

OP
OP
mpshizzle

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
Right ha ha that's what I was referring to.. you can see percentages, but no kwh figure

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Patrick, I love your videos! But it's bothering me that the 3-D fractal pony behind you is backwards, lol :)
LOL... I wondered when someone was going to say something and you are the first. As I sat down to record the video, I knocked it off the shelf. I just quickly put it back up without even thinking about it. Only when I was editing the video did I notice it. I had to immediately go back to the office and flip it around because it bugs me too.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
LOL... I wondered when someone was going to say something and you are the first. As I sat down to record the video, I knocked it off the shelf. I just quickly put it back up without even thinking about it. Only when I was editing the video did I notice it. I had to immediately go back to the office and flip it around because it bugs me too.
Whew, that's a relief! Lol! At first, I thought your camera was mirrored left-to-right, but then I noticed the mach-e words on your wall read correctly.
It was a fun easter egg!
Now that you've started the trend, I think you should subtly change one item in your background for each video and see who notices it first... Maybe some backwards pony sticker handouts to the winner ?
Sponsored